“Near perfect stay.”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Near perfect stay.”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed at this Residence Inn for 2 weeks while taking a training course at the Naval base. It is by far the best hotel I have been to, including any since. The 1 bedroom suite was huge, completely clean, and the view from my room was nice. The internet is as fast as my own at home. Having a TV in the sitting area and the bedroom was a really nice touch. The breakfast was also good, as were the receptions they offer on certain nights. I also had the good fortune to have a corner where there was nothing around me except the maintenance room on one side. Try to get one of those rooms, I heard absolutely nothing despite the hotel being full.

Because of the amazing service I had, I will be returning in April 2011 when I have another training course. I recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments about the Residence Inn. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and look forward to your return visit in April 2011. Guests like you make our job easy.

Best wishes for the holiday,

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
New Jersey
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Clean, interior design is modern and fun with lots of added amenities, great service, great value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
We appreciate you selecting the Residence Inn Downtown for your choice of travel. We are excited you enjoyed your time in Norfolk and appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. We look forward to your next visit from New Jersey.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 19, 2010

When it comes to hotels new is nice. This is one of the most modern, trendy Residence Inns I have stayed at. The rooms are well appointed with very stylish furniture, kitchen, bedding, and the bath. Not to mention the two flatscreens. In room internet is top notch. Other hotel chains could learn from this hotel what "high speed" is supposed to mean.

Location is excellent. Walking distance from "Granby street", the dining/pub segment of downtown Norfolk.

The only down side I could give this hotel are the evening meals. They are Tuesday - Thursday and are in need of some improvements. The meals can be at times a bit lacking. One week they had the exact same entree two nights in a row despite having different meals listed on the calendar.

The indoor pool and workout center are top notch for this type of hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind works. The evening socials are meant to be receptions verses dinners. Which is confusing for some of our guests. We will look at our evening calendars and find a better way to define what is actually being served each evening. We appreciate your business and hope your travels bring you back to the Norfolk area in the near future.
Seattle
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Everything was fine at this hotel (what I expect from a Residence Inn - it delivered. Big rooms, with kitchen, wonderful breakfast, good location).

I just want to advise folks who are there on the weekend - the hotel charges you $15 per day to park at the garage across the street. But on the weekend, it's actually free (no attendants monitor the garage, and the gates are wide open). Istayed Friday-Sunday. The hotel staff did not tell me this, and instead made me sign something upon check-in saying I'd pay per day (because, well, that's what I thought was cheapest, since you get unlimited entries/exits). Instead, Saturday rolls along and I realize I've been duped. I complain on Sunday during check-out, that the hotel shouldn't charge me, since it was free anyway, and they refuse to take the $15 charge off my bill. They said I had agreed to pay it (sneaky punks).

If it weren't for that, the stay was fine.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank croelin1000
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit the survey. We are happy you enjoyed your time at the hotel and hope that you think of us again when returning to the Norfolk area.

The parking garage is own and managed by the City of Norfolk, of which we contract parking spaces. On several occassions they will run a special events rate and not have the garage managed by an attendant. This is not the case on all weekends. The hotel is charged for each space nightly whether of not the space is used by one of our guests.

If you call me at the hotel I would be happy to adjust the charge for the weekend.
Maryland
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I love marriotts and on a trip to VA beach with the family we decided to stay at this hotel in Norfolk, which was about 15 minutes away from the beach. The location was in between a poor dirty part of town and the nicer waterfront area. Our rooms (all 3 of them) only had views of the parking garage, which blocked all the sunlight. Upon initial check in the hostess was not very friendly or helpful. Within 2 days we switched rooms 3 times. The hotel allows pets, so our first room had a noisy dog that barked non stop. The 2nd room we were moved to had a broken bed, stains on the curtain, broken air conditioner and a broken tub stopper. The 3rd room we were finally moved to was better, it was just missing a shade for the window. The continental breakfast was not so hot our first morning there, the eggs were runny and the sausage undercooked. Overall this hotel did not meet my expectations for a Marriott and what i have come to rely on in that hotel brand.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Residence Inn Downtown. The hotel staff has addressed these problems through team meetings with the front office, gatehouse for breakfast and engineering for rooms issues. We do have three pet free floors in the hotel. I believe you will find once the light rail project is complete the downtown area will look completely different.

We hope you will return to the Residence Inn on your next visit to Norfolk. You may contact me by calling 757-842-6216.

At your service,

Residence Inn Team
washington d.c.
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed here the weekend of 8/13-8/15. This was my second time at this particular location. I chose to stay here because they accept pets. The hotel itself is new and modern. I love the set up of the studios it has everything you could possibly need. The bed is pretty comfortable and the location is great. It's about 2 blocks from Granby St. and and 4 blocks from the waterfront. The neighborhood is very safe, there were lots of joggers and every morning and night I was able to take a nice long walk w/the dog and I never felt threatened. Parking is $15 a day, but if you can find street parking somewhere then do that. The breakfast is pretty good, but they were constantly running out of food. When I stayed here last October that didn't happen and it seemed like they had more variety then too. My husband went to the gym and the gym is very nice with newer equipment and tvs on the treadmills, it's available 24 hrs. I also saw the pool and whirlpool but didn't get to go in because it was after hours. Overall I think its a great choice and when I return to that area I would defintely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yumyum90
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This hotel has wonderful, modern, clean and spacious rooms with a really comfortable bed and unlike many hotels, with a kitchen included. We stayed in the hotel with other family members (who had their other rooms) but the living areas in each room was big enough for us to gather together, play games and socialise if we weren't outside exploring. My husband and I were travelling with our young daughter (1 year) and the hotel provided a travel cot/crib and the size of the room meant that there were no issues with keeping the cot/crib up for the duration of our stay. The breakfast was all self-service but very reasonable and the staff that we did see at breakfast were really friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this and will be looking to stay in this chain again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa226
Thank you so much for choosing the Residence Inn Downtown. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you as our guests again in the future.