“Why would you stay anywhere else when you have the Residence Inn Downtown?”

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
San Francisco
“Why would you stay anywhere else when you have the Residence Inn Downtown?”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

On my last trip, I stayed at the Sheraton Waterside, but this is now my first choice hotel when in Norfolk. I arrived at 10PM on Saturday night from San Francisco, very tired. I felt as if I was being welcomed home. The evening staff was teriffic, very accomodating, and made sure I had just what I needed. The hotel is about a year old; my room was on the 7th floor. Elevators arrived quickly, I didn't wait long at all, even though the hotel was sold out. The rooms are suites with full kitchens, stocked so I could make lunches and dinner. Pets are welcomed for a cleaning feel. There is an indoor pool, jacuzzi, and workout room on the main lobby floor. Breakfast and internet are included; parking for a fee in the garage across the street with in and out parking for 24 hours. After my experience the first night, I cancelled my reservation at the full service Sheraton Waterside, and continued my stay here. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 23, 2016
Thank you for your review.
We are happy we could make this your home away from home.

Best Regards,

Linda M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I were looking to have a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary. We picked Norfolk for two reasons: 1. It was not too far to drive from MD and 2. We had never been to Norfolk. We are Marriott timeshare owners and use Marriott exclusively when we travel. We always leave satisfied. So we chose a Marriott property. We found this locatioin.

First impression was a bit off putting driving into the city. Like any major city, the outskirts seemed run down and I was concerned that downtown would be like this. I was wrong. It was very nice. Quaint. Clean, Quiet and Safe. We walked everywhere we went in town and never felt ill at ease.

The Residence Inn was beautiful, clean and the staff was extremely customer friendly. The room was spotless, quiet and spacious. We needed lots of extra blankets. I get cold, hubby is hot. They gave us everything we asked for with a smile.

The breakfast was great. But it was crowded so we took our plates to our room. Which turned out to be nice. We had a table and chairs, TV and microwave. So we got a nice, free meal in the comfort of our own room. Almost as good as room ser vice would have been.

We went to see the USS Missouri. Very cool. The Nautica museam was a bit of a let down. We went to some of the shops in the mall. Very nice mall. We visited some of the local shops in town. We ate at the Freemason Abby twice. Once for lunch. We loved, loved, loved it and so we went back for dinner. Try it if you are in town. Great food, atmosphere and service.

We drove down to Va Beach one day. I could have missed that and would have been fine. The area looks run down, crowded and kind of nasty. Trash on the beach. No shops to speak of on the boardwalk. They are back a street. Not a nice place to go.

Anyway. I couldn't find anything bad to say about the Residence Inn. We are still very satisfied and loyal Marriott customers. They just know how to do this right.

Thanks to all the staff who made our getaway nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
DURHAM
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My family and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was great. The decor and room were beautiful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thank you for the positive feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your time here in Norfolk.
Toulon and Montreal
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed two weeks ago at this hotel. First the reception and check-in was great. I was provided tourist info, the number for the Norfolk F.R.E.D free car service (they pick you up at the hotel and drop you off wherever downtown), and an early check-in (I badly needed it for health reasons and previously requested for it while booking on expedia).
Then as you can judge by my pictures the room and kitchen were spotless. I wish my kitchen was that clean ;). . Free high-speed Internet (with the provided cable ) worked fine. You have flat screen TVs in the bedroom and living room.
Only downsides:
- there were amenities for 1 person only.
- hallways on the floor were a bit cool (it was however raining that day)
Thirdly we stayed on a Tuesday night. This is when the hotel hosts a weekly, buffet, social hour. THis one was was for the first anniversary of the hotel. Food and beverages were plenty and diverse.
Fourthly I tried the hot tub and pool. The pool was a bit cold but the weather outside wasn't that great either.
Breakfast was great , a second waffle maker would maybe help things go faster.
Last but not least: we had forgotten there our voltage converter. Well we called three days later and they found it, had put it aside for us. Great service!
If going back to Norfolk we'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I travel to Norfolk almost monthly, and only stayed here because my usual accommodation was fully committed. Wow. Residence Inn nailed it with this hotel. The rooms (suites) have mini-kitchens and are tastefully hip, functional, comfortable, clean, and thoughtfully laid out. The fitness room is among the largest in this class of hotel, and looks out onto the indoor pool and spa. The staff is remarkably friendly and attentive, and the breakfast is free, hot, and good. The location is safe, and is a short walk to downtown, and is very conveniently located also to the eateries on Granby Street. I will strive to stay here on all future visits - has my thumbs up and more.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on a trip to Norfolk. It's in a great location in the city. Rooms are very spacious and hotel is only 1 year old. It's next to a great YMCA.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I entered the lobby tired from a long day of meetings. I had multiple smaller bags. The front desk was courteous, fast and upbeat. They had a staff member help me with my bags even though I dont think that was his primary duties. The breakfast in the morning was convienant for when I was on the go and by the third day I actually sat down and ate my breakfast in the spacious lobby/eating area. The breakfast staff was very pleasant and I even enjoyed small chat with one of the workers. I enjoyed my stay and the big flat screen tv in my room helped.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business