“Virginia Beach Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Lakewood, New Jersey
“Virginia Beach Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

My family came to Virginia beach for the Kar Dance competition. We decided to stay in Norfolk instead of on the beach which turned out to be a great choice. The location of this hotel was 15-20 minutes from the beach with access to several places to eat, which were not available on in the VA beach area. I would also like to mention the service I recieved from the front desk, especially, from Denzel. Upon arrival to the hotel, they had placed us in a room that was not work for my family. (especially my wife :) ) Denzel made the necessary change to put us in a room which made us happy. Denzel also displayed the potential of a manager, or GM. I appreciated how he was able to accomadate me and my family. Good Job.

Room Tip: Go buy your food and cook. Food stores down the street. Saves big dollars
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your review.

You are correct we are just a few minutes from Virginia Beach.

We hope your children had a great time at the dance completition.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
South China, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

A business trip took me to Norfolk Virginia where my company set me up at this hotel. The hotel staff is terrific the rooms are clean and big. The area isn't the best but this was a working trip. Not the best place for a vacation. All in all I was very satisfied.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your review.

We wish you would have had a a few days to relax. We have so many things to do in the Norfolk area, from historical museums, Botanical Garden, Norfolk Zoo, McArthur Museum and Nauticus with the USS Wisconsin, as well as fishing, trails and the world's largest naval base.

We do hope you have a chance to come back and play.

Mount Ephraim, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I recently spent 4 days and 3 nights at this hotel. Excellent and friendly staff. Everyone from the concierge to the maintenance staff greet you with a "hello", "good morning/afternoon/evening" or a "how are you?".

The rooms are nice-sized with every modern day feature available, including a fully functional kitchenette complete with stove, oven, microwave, full sized fridge and dishwasher. The cabinets are stocked with utensils, dinnerware and cooking supplies. Wifi was pretty strong, too.

Nice, comfortable bed, though the sleeper sofa could have been more comfortable.

Very large lobby with plenty of seating and tables. Several TVs. Continental breakfast was superb with a nice selection of food (though I prefer more meat, less breakfast cereals).

The parking situation could be better. The garage across the street maxes out at $10/day, but since we were in a large group (a youth hockey team), we were comped for the parking.

Walking distance to the Chrysler Museum, MacArthur Center (mall), The Scope sports arena/Chrysler Hall and attractions around the Elizabeth River. Some nice diners and restaurants are nearby as well as some halls for live music.

The gym is typical of most hotels...small with a sparse amount of weights and primarily cardio. A better choice would be the YMCA a couple of blocks away. Small, indoor pool and hot tub. Free towels in both facilities.

Overall they did a pretty good job handling 15 families and teen aged hockey players.

Thank you for your review.

We did enjoy having your team here in the hotel.

The parking garage is a city garage and is not an overnight parking facility. The hotel incurs an additional cost for lighting and security which is why are parking fees appear higher then the city daily fee.

We do hope you have an opportunity to return to Noroflk and the Residence Inn Downtown.

Milngavie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Front desk staff were very nice and helpful. Found housekeeping could use some improvement or at least better checks after room was cleaned. We actually had to ask for toilet paper after being out for the day and into the evening. Trash was emptied but new bags were not put in also had to ask for dishwasher soap too. The rates were reasonable for the two bed room we stayed in and parking in the garage was included, not sure it that is because we have Platinum status with the hotel rewards but that was great because garage seemed expensive. Parking is across the road which can at times be inconvenient. Hotel close to a light rail stop (The Tide Light Rail) which was very handy. Lots of restaurants in the area and Waterside was walking distance. We did walk a bit after dark one evening after dinner from Waterside I would just advise as with any city you be mindful of your surroundings.

Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I do wish we would have known about your housekeeping issues while you were here. We have several new housekeepers with us this summer an I apologize we did not inspect your room as well as we should have.

We will use your comments in our morning huddle meetings to train our entire team on how we could have done better to correct your issues so the next guest does not experience the same thing.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This was a very clean, contemporary themed hotel. It has nine floor levels of rooms with most of the usual comforts of an apartment. Each room is very spacious and has its own kitchenette. We were here for a wedding. Beware, there are very few fast food restaurants or Walgreens / CVS stores nearby. However, the USS Wisconsin Battleship & Nauticus museum, the harbor and other attractions are just blocks away. Also, this hotel is close to the freeway. There is also a three floor level mall with a movie theatre nearby. There are sports bars and a few clubs only a couple of blocks away. One last thing... Parking is not free at this hotel. I think it's $18 / day with unlimited in & out privileges. The parking structure is right across the street from the hotel and is shared with other businesses. Hotel guests were asked to only park on the 3rd & 4th levels.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are centrally located near many attractions, shopping and restaurants. If your travels bring you back to the Norfolk area we do hope you chose to stay with us.

Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the first time I have bothered writing a review for a hotel but I feel that other parents of small children should be aware of my concerns. I was expecting the usual Residence Inn quality but I was disappointed. When I checked in, the two guests in front of me were each complaining about the bugs in their rooms. Our room was clean and acceptable. I went to take my two 3 year olds to the pool (the pool was one of the reasons I picked this hotel), but I found a closed sign on the door at 4 pm. I was able to take them to the pool the following day and it was dirty. When I bathed my children after the pool, the bottom of our tub was full of brown sand (we had not been outside or to the the beach-the sand was from the pool). I will visit Norfolk to see family again soon but will find another hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank LNG12345
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for writing a review.

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during your most recent visit. We strive to ensure everyone enjoys their time in Norfolk and at the Residence Inn.

During your time here we did have to close the pool for 3 hours in order to "shock" the pool. This happens on occasion when we have extremely high use, mostly summer time. We certainly did not plan to take the pool down during the daytime hours. We also want to make sure the chemicals are balance so we can deliver a healthy pool environment.

Again, I apologize we did not meet your expectations.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I love this hotel. The rates are reasonable. It still has a new look and feel. The beds are usually comfortable, however, one night the bed I slept in was very uncomfortable. My back was actually hurting when I woke up. The other downside is the $18 a day parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your generous comments.

We strive to make everyone travels just a little bit better. We hope you enjoy your new home.