WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Norfolk
Virginia Beach
“Best Stay in Norfolk Virginia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was one of the cleanest and best Marriott chains I have ever stayed. The staff was exceptionally well trained, empowered to please the guest. You could tell this was a well managed facility. From the front desk to the maintenance crew, each employee made me feel like I was home. The rooms exceeded normal Marriott standards in cleaniness and style. The classic comfortable beds and the kitchen area were top notch. This is why I almost exclusively stay at a Marriott properties. I will be staying at this hotel anytime I need lodging in downtown Norfolk. Great Weekend stop for annual events happening in downtown Norfolk, business or just pleasure.

Room Tip: A pet friendly hotel that has floors specifically designated for non-pet rooms. All rooms are great...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Barbaraw757
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Barbara, Thank you for your review.

Your kind words are appreciated. We are happy you enjoyed your weekend here in Norfolk.

It appears you may have been here during our fall Virginia Wine Festival. If this is the case we would like to remind you we have a spring wine festival just as lovely.

We do hope you stay with us again.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown for a night during the Virginia Wine Festival at Town Pointe Park. We were given a one bedroom suite with kitchen, living room area, large closet and double-sink bathroom.

The cleanliness, friendliness of the staff, attention to detail in the room design and ease of check-in/check-out is what will keep me recommending this hotel to visiting family and friends.

1 Thank Matt P
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for the review.

Remember we do have another wine festival in May. We do hope you have an opportunity to visit the the Residence Inn Downtown in the near future.

Thanks for being our guest.

Williamsburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Myself and a friend attended the Norfolk Wine Festival and booked this Hotel due to its location to a variety of walkable amenities. Upon check in, we were greeted with a friendly smile by Maria that offered directions to our event and a few Restaurants without even asking her. The spacious home away from home and over the top genuine service made our short staycation PERFECT and stress free! I highly recommend this Hotel in the event your travels find you in downtown Norfolk.

Room Tip: You must say hello to, Maria!
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank RBlaineDorsey
Thank you for your review.

The Virginia Wine Festival is one of the premier events along the Elizabeth River in the fall. This years weather also helped make the festival a great time.

Maria is a wonderful asset to our team and a joy to be around.

We do hope to see you back for the Spring Wine Festival

Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Recently I had the chance to stay at this hotel while visiting Norfolk, Va. The inside was a pleasant surprise compared to what I thought it would look like from the outside. I loved the elevator which reminded me of the "Siri" voice telling you what floor you were on. The room was clean, and neat. It was a very comfortable stay . The manager and desk clerk were very helpful when we explained that the 18 dollar parking fee was incorrect on our bill. I would stay there again

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Caston4
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are happy you chose to stay with us. We appreicate your business and do hope you will have a chance to stay with us again.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. I am guessing the other downtown hotels must have a lot of issues for this one to be so highly rated.

I have previously stayed at the Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria a few times and was very pleased with our rooms and the amenities. I was hoping that this Residence inn would be the same experience. It was not.

The rooms were adequate. Our rooms looked out into the parking garage.They do not have connecting rooms.

There is a LOT of noise from the area surrounding the hotel. A streetcar dings quite often, cars, motorcycles and truck noise can be heard throughout the night. In the early morning we were awakened to the sound of garbage trucks.

Our room was too warm. Adjusting the thermostat did nothing to alleviate the situation. We were out for the night and didn't realize the issue until we returned at 11pm. We were hoping it would resolve itself overnight - but it did not. The fan is very quiet - which they note next to the thermostat as an advantage. However due to the loud noise from outside, it would have been nice to be able to turn the fan on 'high' to allow for some white noise.

They offer a free 'dinner' a few nights a week. Ours consisted of cold hamburger 'sliders' with a variety of watery salads. I know it is free and I should be grateful - but after realizing the hamburgers were cold...we went elsewhere to eat.

The free breakfast was quite sparse - actually the least amount and variety of items I have experienced in hotels which offer breakfast included.

What also concerned me was the inability to upgrade to an open two bedroom unit. I had to book two rooms in order to accommodate our party. The Residence Inn Galleria, when noting this, happily adjusted our reservation ahead of time to a two bedroom unit. At those stays, I was only Silver Elite with Marriott. I do not expect to be treated 'special' just because of a random status - I offered to pay extra points for the upgrade - but was told that was not necessary.

I recently attained Platinum status with Marriott(which supposedly allows for upgrades when rooms are available) and was really hoping that we would be able to upgrade to a two bedroom at this hotel. I was more than willing to pay extra points for this option. This was not something that this hotel would allow ahead of time. I was told to ask at check-in to see if one was open.

Upon check-in, when I asked if they had any 2 bedroom units available - I was told that they did not. Therefore, I needed two separate rooms. I checked the website an hour later and could have booked 3 two bedroom rooms for that night. I put in '3' just to be sure there were multiple units available. I am mystified as to why this hotel would let a 2 bedroom unit sit empty and instead drain their inventory of 1 bedroom units. I would think that those would be easier to sell.

Parking is $18 a day and this will be automatically added to your bill. I wish we would have researched cheaper options ahead of time.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelcrazy58
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay.

We wish you would have informed us the "sliders" were not hot. We certainly would have replaced with fresh and hot food. The evening social are not designed for dinner but we do serve pretty heavy foods along with a salad bar during this time period since many of our guest use this for their dinner.

The two bedroom suites are not part of the reward programs so would not fall into the upgrade plan. Since the Residence Inn hotels are all suites hotels the suite is considered the upgrade. We do try to upgrade our guest when possible.

We are located in the downtown area so parking is a premium. There are very few street parking spots near the hotel and our city is known to monitor and ticket highly. We do have the lowest parking fee of any of the downtown hotels.

Again, we do appreciate your comments.

Linda Markert
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised by this place - it's a reasonably new-ish Residence Inn within walking distance to most places in downtown Norfolk, and only a short drive from the airport. It's also right on the local tram stop (HRT's "The Tide").

The staff were extremely cheerful, friendly and helpful. 'Mary' with housekeeping even left a note thanking me for staying at the hotel, and to simply leave a note or call if I needed anything.

Free breakfast buffet with the usual stuff - eggs, sausage, ham, cereal, OJ, coffee, etc., - in the morning, free wifi and wired Internet access in the rooms, a small exercise room that I used a few times, and a pool.

Definitely glad I stayed here!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the parking garage might not have as nice a view, but they're probably a tad quiete...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert G
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are thrilled you enjoyed the personal touch from your housekeeper. Mary has been with the hotel since we opened in 2009.

We hope to see you again when you are back in Norfolk.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Residence Inn Downtown remains a good stop. The only problem that seems to be rather continuous is great variability in the working of the Air Conditioning system. It may run cold in the afternoon, but cuts out about 10 P.M. and stays off until 5-6 A.M. unless one calls and makes them aware of the problem. Then, it may cut back in and work for a few hours. Management says it is a new system that has failed to meet expectations. That is a good assessment. It one does not mind a warm room in the hot months it is okay. Otherwise, stay elsewhere or contact front desk often. They are nice people and try to help. Staff tries hard to please.

Room Tip: make sure the A/C is working Use the Marriott.com web site, it works well.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom D
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. You are correct we did have an AC issue during your time at the hotel. We had one wire that came loose on one of the AC stacks. We are sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. The wiring issue has been corrected and our guest should not have to experience this in the future.

We do hope you have a chance to come back to our hotel

We do appreciate your business,