“Interesting Reading”

Nauticus
Ranked #4 of 71 things to do in Norfolk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore the Nautical, Naval And Natural wonders of our world.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Tidewater, VA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Interesting Reading”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I'm surprised at the enthusiastic reviews, because we did not encounter any costumed individuals or exciting times. My husband and I visited this attraction with our son, his wife and their children, ages 4, 5 and 6. After paying $75 for the lot of us, all we did was attempt to entertain bored children. Although the adults found some interest in the history, it held no value for youngsters.

5 Thank GalavantinGal

Kitty Hawk, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Pirate Presentation at Nauticus”
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Husband and 2 grandchildren, ages 8 and 10, just returned from visit to Nauticus. Husband rated trip as a 4 out of 10. Cost $30. Seems to us that advertisement for event made it appear to be something more than it is. Norfolk and Nauticus keep trying but they continue to charge way too much for what they are offering.

1 Thank lj
Virginia beach
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pirate exhibit at Nauticus”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

A group of six adults went to Nauticus on a very, cold windy day. The Wisconsin was closed due to ice. We went to the Pirate exhibit first. We all really enjoyed it. It was a lot of very interesting reading. They also had live 'pirates' who were very interesting and very knowledgeable. I learned a lot. I was glad that I did not have young kids with me. You might hear 'Pirates' and think it would be fun for kids but think again. It is definitely geared for a crowd that can read and wants to learn. I highly recommend it for adults!
After the exhibit we went to Nauticus. We started on the top floor. I was very interested to see the movie "Pirates Code" thinking it would give us more information on pirates, but it seemed just like a rehash of what we saw in the exhibit. One of our group fell asleep during the movie.
We had a quick bite in the cafe - it was very good.
The rest of Nauticus was not as impressive - perhaps because we were all tired by that point. I will not go back to Nauticus until there is a new exhibit.

1 Thank davsy
Dayton, OH
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I was confused.”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Well, going onto the USS Wisconsin was cool, but we paid $10 each for 2 adults (there was a $2 off coupon in a Virginia Beach coupon book), then learned the ship and another floor were free. So, I didn't really understand what was going on. Also, the displays were mostly model ships that someone put together. The science part was good, maybe that is what we paid $10 for? I don't think I would go back.

1 Thank ohiomom_9
Nashville, TN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Time Well Spent!”
Reviewed August 10, 2005

My husband and I took our 7-year-old son to Nauticus on August 7, 2005. Although at first I questioned paying the additional money to be admitted to the entire museum and not just the basic stuff on the first and second floor, I soon learned that you get what you pay for.

Wow! We arrived about 11:00 and left around 5:00. We toured the USS Wisconsin and did almost every activity in the "children's science center" sort of rest of the museum. But Nauticus is just as much for adults as it is for kids. There's something for everyone!

Don't plan another major activity for the day if you go to Nauticus. Just take your time and enjoy all the little things Nauticus offers to do. And don't hesitiate to pay the admittance fee to the biggest part of the museum. You won't regret it!

6 Thank lhtalley