“Victory Rover worth the trip”
Review of Nauticus

Nauticus
Ranked #4 of 76 things to do in Norfolk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore the Nautical, Naval And Natural wonders of our world. Open Daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Nauticus museum seems nice, but we were unable to tour it. We arrived too late in the day for it to be worth our while to tour. I had hoped to climb aboard the Wisconsin for a bit. We found out that we must have had outdated literature that indicated it was free to tour. You now must pay admission towards Nauticus in order to gain ship access. Understandable, but a downer nonetheless. Plan accordingly.

My girlfriend and I did go out on the "Victory Rover" narrated water tour based out of the Nauticus Center. If you are a gearhead, I don't think you can visit this city and adequately take in all of the waterfront industrial & military sights to be seen from land. The Victory Rover allows you to feast your eyes on many of the active cargo, dry dock and naval operations underway in Norfolk. It gets you about as close as you can get to the working Port of Norfolk and the Navy Base. The boat is clean, quick and well composed out on the water. (I managed to not feel sea sick) If you have doubts, take some motion sickness pills before boarding. The captain narrating our tour skillfully juggled identifying points of interest, providing information and keeping pace with the places on shore. Well done sir.

Before you board Victory Rover be sure to check out the memorial on the corner dock with the plaques of "letters home" from men & women that have been in combat. Definitely a new twist on the standard war memorial. It helps to paint a picture all of those before us that faced fear on the frontlines and sought comfort in the letter home. Knowing they never had the chance to come home puts a pit in your stomach.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

Went to the Atlantis exhibit at Nauticus. I was embarrassed I paid to go in. It's billed as something for kids. Poor kids.

1  Thank sdw227
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This place is Huge! I don't think we saw everything that there was to be seen here because there is so much inside to see. We tried, but I don't think we did. It's an amazing thing to visit, and you can learn a lot. I highly recommend going here!

Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have never written a review before, ever. But I was so knocked out by our family trip to Nauticus today I had to break my "fast."

We are two adults, a teenaged girl, and a tween boy, and we were hesitant about a Maritime Museum. It sounded awfully stuffy. The last time I had done one of these was Old Ironsides in Boston when I was a kid myself, and I don't remember it being very interesting.

This place is amazing! First of all, it was half the price of the Virginia Aquarium, where we went yesterday, and we spent twice as long here. There are tons of interactive exhibits, movies about the seas, a full warship to explore, lots of information, a ray-and-horseshoe-crab petting pool, and much much more. Feeding the koi when entering (fish food for a quarter) is fun, I enjoyed trying to tie nautical knots, my husband and daughter "designed" a battle ship, my son just ran around like a maniac, trying everything.

We didn't even get to do everything there but could have easily spent the entire day at Nauticus without getting bored.

We travel a lot, always stay busy on vacation, and we all agreed that this was one of the best attractions we have ever been to, in any city. An absolute must if you are in the Hampton Roads area.

5  Thank madameinnkeeper
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We had the opportunity to visit Nauticus & tour the U.S.S. Wisconsin in April. I found the museum very interesting and the battleship was amazing. Everyone in our party of 3 families enjoyed the visit (and that covers 4 adults and 6 kids from 11 to 16). I thought the Shark promotion was a little over blown since the largest Shark I saw was maybe 3 feet long. The battleship was impressive and would have loved to be able to explore more of it, but no complaints.

1  Thank DadKnowsBest