“Mixed”

Ranked #1 of 4 Canico B&B and Inns
Lancashire
“Mixed”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The hotel seems to be in a residential location which means its pretty quiet. We paid extra for a sea view but they tried to put us with a pool view (moved after 1 night). eventual room was fine - amazing view. no air con though. pool is nice and its a fairly quiet hotel, but that was spoilt by the builders relaying the patio area all week. couldn't sit round the pool without the noise of hammers and drills was only temporary I guess. you can walk down steps to the sea. a good few restaurants nearby. breakfast was disappointing. not much choice and no toaster. staff were very helpful and freindly though and there is free wifi.
you definitely need a car although there is a regular bus to Funchal at the top of the road. just dont get a car from Thrifty unless you like driving a 7 year old Renault Clio with no air-con and 130 kilometers on the clock. absolute wreck. to summarise I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it but then our stay was spoilt by the building works right under our room which meant you couldn't really enjoy the hotel during the day and we had to go out (every day). Had there been no building works who knows?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank basnettma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed here for 1 week at Easter 2006 and thought I'd better review it for the English speakers as most of the reviews are in German.

I would like to point out straight away,that there are 2 buildings to this apartotel,and if you are in the annexe across the road you will not get the great views out to sea, so if you require these make sure you request the main building when you book.

I was in the annexe which I found very comfortable, a good size apartment, with nice balcony and a kitchenette arrangement which was behind sliding doors - quaint but convenient . A useful tip here is that you can request an extra key that lets you out of the building at a different street level and saves you a lot of walking. I only found out by accident when I'd passed the door in the street on several occasions and then made enquiries at reception.

There are 2 beautiful, but small pools with fantastic and dramatic views over the cliffs and out to sea and you can walk down steps to sea level with several sunbathing areas on the way.

Many of the guests were Scandinavian or English and naturally the Scandinavians were good English speakers.

I can't comment on the food as my partner and I were on a self-catering basis and ate out all the time. There are 1 or 2 restaurants nearby, which are good, but the whole resort is hanging on a cliff and every walk is either straight up or straight down. Please do not go to this resort if you have walking difficulties or need a wheelchair because it will be a nightmare. I enjoy long walks but it's a very arduous task at this location.

I also can't comment on the courtesy bus as I dont think there was one when I stayed there, so we got cabs at very reasonable prices into Funchal.

Back in l985, when I last visited Madeira, I stayed at Reid's hotel but fancied something a little more ethnic and village like this time round, but trust me, it's not very villagey and the centre of the village, an alleged 2 kiilometres away, may as well be 20K, because it's an almost vertical climb and I hadn't packed my crampons!!

In summary, I enjoyed the hotel and it's facilities very much but the resort is a washout unless you are Sherpa Tensing or a mountain goat. If you like plenty of bars and resturants to choose from avoid Canicio and stay in Funchal.

Liked best: sunbathing in the hotels terrific pool areas.

Liked least: scaling Mount Everest looking for restaurants.

All the best, Peter and Rosalind.

Room Tip: If you want the best views avoid the annexe and ask for the main building with sea view.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pjrmw
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Mixed weather, which doesn't help when travelling with family aged 10 to 18 year olds as there is not much to do if sun is not out. No games room and no beach to speak of. Agree with previous review about the fellow guests and lack of atmosphere, some appear downright rude but different culture I guess. Great staff and hotel spotless, food pretty good really but certainly not 4 Star. A great couples chill out break but would not recommend to families.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank BelindaWright
California, USA
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The Hotel is in a lovely location. It seems to have a dual-purpose existence, with the top floors reserved for RCI members, and lower floors for travelers from the UK and Germany. Separate pools, etc.. We booked at LastMinute.com, so we got a deal on the holiday. Perhaps because of that we were placed next to the stairs on the bottom floor, under the dining room. Hauling the luggage up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator for the lower floors) was not fun. The hotel is somewhat aged, but well maintained. The desk help is attentive but not friendly. The room staff were pleasant and friendly. We cannot talk to the dining, because we did not eat at the hotel except in our room (self-catered).

The room was very clean. The beds extremely hard. For that reason alone we would not go back. For most other reasons we would recommend the hotel, but not sleeping well did not add positively to the holiday.

The view from the hotel is stunning. One can walk down a series of steps to the ocean, but swimming from there seemed dangerous as the waves were forceful and continuous. Several areas down the series of steps seemed to be no longer in use, including the outside bar.

If a person does not rent a car, and likes an extremely firm bed, this is a great place to stay. We did rent a car, and we like our beds about medium firmness, so this hotel was not ideal for us.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mindgrowz
Shropshire
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We checked other reviews for this hotel before we booked and as they are almost all in German we were not surprised that most of the guests were German. Perhaps it was just German reserve, but we found breakfast time to be very subdued with little chatter or even the types of cheerful greetings I would expect to hear on holiday! The room was a little basic for its 4 star claim, but it was comfortable enough and spotless, and there was indeed a very good sea view and a good balcony area. The kitchenette was minimal but adequate and if I had felt inclined I could have produced a meal. We went B&B and having had dinner in the hotel on the first evening were very glad we hadn't booked half board. The menu was limited to snack bar type choices - everything with chips. My tuna steak was really chewy and unpleasant, and my partners omelette had more the texture of a pancake. There are several other restaurants within a short walk, some of which were quite good. Funchal is an easy and cheap 30 minute bus ride away and the buses are frequent and reliable in both directions.
Overall we liked this hotel. The rooms were quiet and other guests, though not very sociable, were considerate. The public areas were as clean as the rooms and the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LazyDaisyShropshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canico
Royal Orchid
#10 of 13 in Canico
Madeira Panoramico Hotel
Madeira Panoramico Hotel
#27 of 85 in Funchal

Been to Hotel Cais da Oliveira? Share your experiences!