Returned home from a week's holiday on 30/6/14.We have been to a couple of Riu's before but the Palace in Canico,Madeira was the best.It is located about half way between the airport and Funchal and the transfer is about 20 minutes.
We checked into our lovely big room with a nice balcony.There was a "semi"sea view.
There was plenty of storage/cupboard space and a free safe.
At meal times there was always a good choice of food with plenty of salad options,usually there was one fish dish, a couple of pastas and several meat choices.Sometimes there was Calamari if you like that sort of food.Then there was plenty of fruit,cheeses and ice cream.One day at breakfast,I counted 10 different types of tea.Bottled water is available at reception.
I did hear through the grapevine that there is a refurbishment programme under way at the Riu group,but this one hasn't been done yet.
The Thomson rep Lorraine was very helpful and arranged a Levada(Referta)walk for me.it cost 23Euros.A minibus picked me up at the hotel and took us to the north of the island.You need a good head for heights on these walks.Because the "walkway" is only about 2 ft wide,you walk in single file and the guide stops now and then to explain things in 3 languages as there were English,French& Germans on the walk.On one side of the walkway there is the Levada( an irrigation channel) about the same width,and on the other side is a sheer drop.The views are amazing so don't forget your camera.Please don't wear sandals for this walk as a couple did on my walk,but trainers are fine.
A trip to Funchal is a must.The hotel runs a curtesy shuttle bus during the day.
Madeira is a beautiful,hilly and unspoiled island.As you travel around the island you will see low rise houses built into the hillsides,all with terracotta roof tiles.If you want to go clubbing or bar crawling,don't come here.
We usually like to travel to different places,but Madeira is the first that we want to come back to.
Tip..get the online price from the Thomson website and take it to a travel agent and get them to match it.They don't all do it,but some do.At least you will have a contact if there are any problems,rather than trying to talk to a cyber-person.
Nearly forgot to mention that the hotel showed all the World Cup games from Brazil.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico