RIU PALACE HOTEL _ CANICO
We stayed 24th Feb - 10th March 2014. A very nice hotel with a lovely comfortable feel. Decorated and furnished in a style that I would describe perhaps as old colonial. Dark wood, chandeliers, plush seating etc.
Rooms are large, comfortable and spotlessly clean with a large bathroom.
The showers are ‘in bath’ style. Shower gel is provided and there is an efficient hair dryer in the bathroom.
There is no tea/coffee making facility in the rooms so I advise taking a travel kettle if you like a coffee before you shower and dress in the morning or if you like to sit on the balcony and read (some times of day the coffee/tea available through AI can be a long way from the room and would be cold before you got back with it).
I found the beds incredibly hard but, when asked, reception provided a mattress topper which helped a bit.
Almost all hotels nowadays have the “towels in bath” policy if you want them changed - BUT - be aware that this hotel now also has a “Card on Bed” policy for changing the sheets. We were not made aware of this (we only found out through a conversation with a fellow guest) and there was no card in the room so we had to ask at reception.
The large restaurant is, again, clean and very comfortable. The restaurant staff are brilliant. Friendly and efficient and you are made to feel as if you are a guest in someone’s house. Food (all buffet style) was of a good standard but after a week we found the lunchtime menu repetitive - however we always managed to ‘make a meal up’ from what was on offer. There are two sittings for dinner - 6 and 8. Your table is allocated for dinner but for breakfast and lunch you sit where you please. Afternoon tea of sandwiches and cakes is also served at the pool bar.
We were pleasantly surprised to find that there is a show lounge for evening entertainment. The in house group play for dancing, then a show of about half an hour from 9:30pm - VERY varied - parrot show, local traditional dance group, magician, large group of singers from the university, traditional Portuguese singer etc. And the animation team dance shows were very good, they are a talented bunch. This is followed again by the in house group.
The two outdoor pools - one heated, one not - and the surrounding areas were spotlessly clean. We found no problem whatsoever in getting sun-beds wherever we wanted them. Waiters come round regularly to cater for your every need. There are also many daily activities such as boules, tai chi, table tennis etc. if you want to join in.
The bar staff, both inside and around the pool are very good and the selection of drinks available is large and of good quality.
Plenty of organised trips on offer - but we took a local taxi for the day (120 euro) and toured the northern part of the island. The advantage of this is that the taxis can get to areas the coaches can’t. Out at 9 back at 5 with all the information you could handle (thank you Fidelio!).
So, all in all, a very nice hotel. The only drawback we found was that it is located a little too far from anything for convenience but there is a free shuttle bus about 5 times a day and the local bus stop is just across the road. That said - we would return without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico