Just returned from 7 nights holiday (14th - 21st October, 2013) at this great Hotel. Having been to other Riu Palace Hotels, I got what I expected. Met at reception with a smile and a greeting accompanied with a glass of delicious Madeira wine. Reception staff quick and efficient with clear instructions. The room was ready and my luggage was delivered there straight away. As I expected, the room was spotless and kept that way for the duration of my stay. All areas of the Hotel were likewise, kept spotless. Super service in the restaurant with abundant supplies of water and wine until you said no thanks. All the staff were very attentive but not intrusive, and nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was well prepared with a good choice to suit everyone's tastes. Drinks in the bars were both local and premium brands with only a very small number incurring extra cost. I was 'All Inclusive' and found this to be excellent value for money. All the staff spoke very good English and were a credit to the Hotel Management and contrary to previous reviews, I could not fault anyone, and neither did I have to wait long periods before I was served drinks. The décor is dated and the same as I encountered at other Palace Hotels some 10 years ago. This is probably the one area that the owners could improve on to bring it up to date in line with their other properties. Having said that, it did not alter the fact that the usual Riu standards were maintained. For those who find difficulty walking, the area, like the rest of Madeira, is very hilly with steep climbs, so you are limited to going for a walk after meals. There is a free shuttle bus daily running at half hour intervals from the Hotel to Funchal and it drops you off at the bus station outside the cable car station which is very convenient and recommended. To sum up, great hotel, great staff, great food, great facilities and well worth a visit. One tip - go all inclusive, its very good value for money. My holiday was a package holiday through Thomsons and I have no complaints regarding the service I got from them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico