We have just returned from this hotel. It is in Canico which is a village about 8km from Funchal in Madeira. There is a shuttle bus from the hotel into Funchal as well as frequent local buses. It's a very nice hotel, a little old fashioned in décor but nice. The hotel staff were universally friendly and helpful and could not be faulted. The rooms are a good size, but nothing special. The twin room had two very comfortable arm chairs which were much appreciated. There were 2 good size wardrobes with a reasonable number of hangers. One problem is the safe which was on the floor so I had to kneel down any time I wanted to open/close it. Also had to pay to hire the safe, which in a good class hotel is just cheap. The rooms are clean as was the bathroom which was nice and a good size although the hair-drier is the old fashioned kind attached to the wall and very slow with not much power, so if you have long hair or want a different style, take your own hair-drier with you.
We had a view to the side of the hotel with a partial view of the sea, with a reasonable size balcony. The 2nd room was a single with a double bed and was a good size also, but the view again was to the side, but also of the service area of the hotel which was very unattractive and noisy.
There are 2 good sized outdoor swimming pools (and thank goodness when we were there almost no children it was so good to be able to swim and exercise without dodging the kids). The clientèle is mostly middle aged to elderly, mostly German with a few Spanish and British. There is an indoor pool, a sauna, small spa, gym and hairdresser. There is an outside pool bar/snack bar.
The restaurant has 2 sittings for dinner 6.30 and 8.30, in hindsight we should have chosen 6.30 as 8.30 is really a bit late unless you go clubbing after, but for that you would have to go into Funchal or there is entertainment in the hotel every night, but we didn't stay for the shows so can't comment. The food was good, buffet mostly although there is a limited table service if you prefer. Lots of good salads and plenty of hot dishes mostly beef, fish and pork, with occasional lamb but most people would find something to their taste, there was a reasonable variety. There is a speciality restaurant but we didn't try it as we were only there for a week. Most nights we went for a walk to one of the local café's for a coffee after dinner. There is a nice little cliff walk at the back of the hotel, but it only takes about 10 mins to go from one end to the other, so no real use for exercising or having an evening stroll.
Breakfast was buffet and good lots of salad and continental as well as hot "full English" style plus the chef would do omelettes to order.
We liked the hotel but the reason we will never go back is the beds. The beds are rock hard, it was like sleeping on a plank of wood. I ended the week seriously sleep deprived as I woke so often and lay awake for hours on occasions. I have honestly never slept on a bed as uncomfortable, even when we went to Hong Kong which is notorious for hard beds. We decided one day to have a day in the hotel and went to the "play room" where they have the internet connections some card tables plus a small library with some sofas, the sofa was soft and comfortable and I ended up stretching out and having the best sleep of my holiday on it. So although I liked the hotel I will never be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico