Just returned from the Dom Pedro Garajau. So disappointed on arrival to find that we (myself and my parents, both in their 70's and with walking sticks) had a long, hot, uphill walk to the 3rd block and then up 3 floors with all our luggage to reach our rooms! The hotel itself is fine. Rooms cleaned every day, outdoor pool quiet & kept clean, and staff pleasant and helpful. BUT the layout of the hotel was so spread out and the breakfast so limited for choices (basically if you don't like cheese, ham, tomatoes, bread and jam for your breakfast, your stuffed!!), that after the first morning I did not bother to go down to eat for the rest of the week. Luckily, there is a lovely fruit & veg shop and bakery across the road, so we had DIY brunches by the pool each day. Outdoor pool bar wasn't open all the time we were there which was very frustrating but there are some lovely restaurants & cafes opposite the hotel for lunches/evening meals.
Wouldn't recommend or go back. Although I realise that a lot of holiday destinations have the same problem, the barking dogs and the fact that there was no air conditioning in the rooms meant that not much sleep was possible at night. Real shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dom Pedro Garajau is a 3-star hotel-apartment with 272 rooms and Suites set on the south coast of Madeira Island. Garajau is famous its Natural Reserve made to protect a very privileged area of Madeira's coast, in an effort to make it work as an ecological nursery. This is the only exclusive marine reserve in the entire Portugal and It is a location for snorkeling and scuba-diving.Facilities are included such as an Indoor heated pool with sliding roof, apart from two outdoor pools and Children's Pool and also a sports court. Dom Pedro Garajau is setting half way between Funchal and Canico ideal to visit the island. All of this makes it the perfect base for exploring the island or enjoying an action-packed holiday. Dine Around and stay at Dom Pedro Garajau. The "Dine Around" system is a different option that allows food lovers to pick restaurants outside the hotel. Through a voucher system, half-board guests staying at the Dom Pedro Garajau can now choose from a variety of restaurants near the hotel. Without doubt, this factor will set us apart from the traditional Half-board system, allowing our clients to change restaurants daily and experience different types of cuisine. Madeira International Airport is only 11km (6.8 miles) from the hotel (10 minutes drive), and only 8 km (4.9 miles) from the main city, Funchal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Dom Pedro Garajau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dom Pedro Garajau Canico
- Hotel Dom Pedro Garajau Madeira
- Dom Pedro Garajau Madeira/Canico