“Great location, opt for a sea view room”

Dom Jose Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Quarteira
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend in Quarteira where we stayed at the Hotel Dom Jose. The location could not be better, right on the prom and across from the lovely beach ( perfect for my early morning runs up to Vilamoura), When I booked at the very last min there were no sea view rooms left, so as we were only going for 3 nights we had to settle on a back room. We were on the first floor ,overlooking apartments and a wall. if we had been staying for longer we would most def have wanted a seaview with balcony room. Although smaller than any hotel rooms we have stayed in recently it had adequate storage room and a lovely shower in the bathroom.The staff were all very friendly, and the food (we only had breakfast) was very nice and fresh. When we return to Quarteira we will stay at this hotel again but book early to ensure we get a seaview room.

Room Tip: Book a seaview room
4  Thank suziuno
There are newer reviews for Dom Jose Beach Hotel

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have just returned from an 11 night holiday and we did not enjoy the food.the choice is very limited only one veg at dinner, one potato 2 meat pork most nights and one fish. Breakfast was ok poor bacon one day then mini hot dog style sausage the next, but the fruit was always lovely.
The sea view room was small, but very clean, the happy hour between 9 and 10 was great.
I would recommend a sea view room on bb, and be prepared to eat out.you have to pay for wifi so go to the beach bar opposite enjoy a drink and free wifi.The pool area is small and if you want a bed on the beach the hotel charge €10 for 2 beds and an umbrella.
Not sure if I would return it would depend on the price, and unless the food improves and gives a greater choice I will not do half board.
On a positive it is a very friendly hotel,on the beach

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank janice n
Reviewed June 26, 2014

As always we have just returned home from a very enjoyable stay at the Dom Jose!! Only down side this time - and no fault of the hotel - was the weather, not up to our usual standard, lots of cloudy mornings - very unusual!! This hotel has been updated over the last 3-4 years and every time we come (annually, sometimes twice a year) there have been more improvements made. This year the exterior has been given a fresh lick of paint which really sets it off. Only comment I would like to make is that the decking in the pool area needs some repairs, new sun parasols have been installed but are very hard to open. All in all, really good hotel, good staff, comfortable bedrooms - front and back of the hotel - and staff always happy to assist if asked.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the hotel - the view is magnificient!
4  Thank LOOBY1310
Reviewed June 25, 2014

we enjoyed our 2 weeks immensely.
im sure if there was a small fridge in the room. just to keep a small bottle of water cool. would make a great difference . to the high standards elsewhere .
we have stayed in 3 star hotels before . this hotel should be a 4 star.

Room Tip: we had room 604 fabulous view of the front. we would recommend anyrooms at the front of the buildin...
4  Thank jimco005
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Last week I stayed in the Dom Jose Beach Hotel in Quarteira. The Hotel was lovely, I had a lovely room overlooking the sea. The shower in our bathroom was an excellent power shower and the hair dryer was excellent also. The staff all over the hotel were friendly and very helpful. It was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. I will be back

Room Tip: Make sure you book a sea view, it is worth it
5  Thank CorkRacecourse
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The first thing that stood out for me was the seamless hassle-free transfer from airport to hotel. Then, when I checked in, Reception was very accommodating (everyone on the desk was, all during the 10 days I was there), taking care of the cool bag for my device/medication in their own fridge, no problem, no charge Most importantly for me as I wanted a relaxing holiday, I found this hotel & general surroundings nicely quiet. I was one of the younger guests (well, at 45, comparatively!), but this actually suits me, personally. My room was on the 3rd floor, I wasn't even aware of the 'live entertainment' until I saw it advertised on the noticeboard after the weekend! & I got my sea-view room as guaranteed! It was lovely to fall asleep to & wake up to the sound of waves. Well worth paying for. A/C might be a bit noisy but I got used to it, and give me that any time to the boom-boom of nightclubs til 3 in the morning!

I could even have availed of the massage service (enquire at Reception, can have it in your hotel room, there's a menu of different types of massage & prices, and would've been lovely I'd imagine ... but then I went for a walk and saw these services on the beach, so I booked a Deep Relax one on Praia Azul for the Sunday evening (day before I flew home), thank you Christina!! Balcony was a nice enough size to sit & relax & take shelter from the sun. The room was lovely, nice laminate wooden floor as opposed to the usual tiles. I loved the decor, and the bathroom's decor.

Hotel lovely and clean throughout. The cubicle shower was nice & big, the water pressure great (although for some reason it turned my hair into a ball of frizz, but that might've been just the rubbish shampoo I brought. Thankfully I brought conditioner & serum!). The soap & shower gel in the bathroom was lovely & saw me through 'til I bought my own shower gel in the supermercado).

Good bar food where I 'dined' a few times. I went B&B and it was nice to have the option of staying put at the hotel to eat or going to one of the numerous cafes along the promenade. I saw Picnic but never got around to eating there. I ate a few times at Girassol, it was "off the beaten track", nice people run it, lovely salads. Ate a couple of times at Shalimar, nice service, shame to have to pay extra for rice. Water: I found the big bottles for 50c in the supermercado vs. 85c everywhere else, 1.20 somewhere! I bought quite a lot of fruit at the supermercado, namely gorgeous big nectarines, plums, peaches, apricots. It was nice to have them as a refreshing snack back at the hotel or beach or sitting on the promenade. Back to the hotel, I enjoyed my breakfast, opting for the muesli every morning (I suppose there could've been a wider choice of cereals), the fresh cubed pineapple, orange slices, and watermelon were so refreshing, the cappuccino in one particular machine v. nice. Wasn't so mad about the croissants, I would've loved the really fresh buttery kind! But ate them most mornings anyway, sometimes with the pumpkin jam, sometimes with the small catering portions of honey or strawberry jam. And I didn't want to have toast - I can have sliced pan at home! I didn't like the scrambled egg, had some one morning for a fix of protein but it was ribbon-y and usual buffet style. I didn't have rashers or fried eggs at all. It was nice to be able to get more helpings of anything. I loved the way everything was replenished, the waiting staff very efficient & professional. No tables left cluttered for more than a few seconds.

I found getting to Vilamoura easy enough. Just had to cross the road at the town side, to the bus terminus. The (small) bus is brightly coloured, hard to miss and costs just 75c to get there. It beats paying €6 for a taxi & was nice & cool. The bus stop it left me at is also the stop to get the same bus to back to Quarteira. Straightforward. I wanted to stroll there one day but the promenade seems to come to an end. My sister in law however told me it continues again after a few feet.

When I ran out of the glossy magazines I'd bought at Dublin airport, it's great that there are books to read that other guests leave behind (beside the stairs on the ground floor), as I was solo. I saw that there's a policy forbidding guests to drape towels over balcony, I thought this a nice touch. Unfortunately I noticed some guests did indeed do this which is a bit ignorant. Also it's good that booking sunloungers is frowned on. I take it this refers to first thing in the morning as, after a couple of hours sunbathing, I left my towel on mind to go off and have lunch and come back after an hour or so & resume sunbathing, no-one seemed to mind! It was great to have the choice of sunbathing by the pool or, just feet away, getting more sea air on the beach. And renting a sunlounger on the sand is reasonable enough, €7 for an individual or €10 for a couple, you can leave your towel or something on it if you fancy taking a break for lunch at any time, and it's securely watched, you can stay there for oh probably 8 in the morning (?!) til 7 in the evening or when the sun finally goes down. It's lovely there in the morning when it's still overcast but there's a lovely breeze coming in off the Atlantic. Overall I really enjoyed my holiday, I would recommend the hotel highly. I wouldn't NOT go back but I like to go somewhere different every year.

Room Tip: Definitely book a sea-view room although I was told by another guest that even if you don't get...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
9  Thank Noeleen D
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I arrived there really late, since the hotel was further than stated on the website (5 minutes to villamoura actually refers to a taxi/car driving distance, since it is 3 km). Relying on that I have stopped at a bus stop in Villamoura and since my phone was without battery I had to walk at night all the way..
The guy at the reception didn't really talk english and the reservation they made was for some reason on a different name, so it took me another 30 mins to actually get into the hotel room...It was 6:30 in the morning whereas I should have arrived at about 5...
They had no ironing in the room and no fridge (maybe they had these services as extra things which one had tyo pay for...however i stayed at a 2* hotel that had both in the room and in the price, so not sure it is supposed to be like that..), which is why some of the things I brought for a friend from Norway went bad. The shower's temperature was changing all of the sudden from cold to warm..
Lastly, when i asked for the bus i was told the next one was in 15 mins, when in reality it was about 1,5 hours!! So i ended up wasting even more time at the bus stop instead of doing something else.
The only reason I didn't rate the hotel as terrible was because of the fact that it looks very nice and clean. But then again I was here for a conference, so I couldn't really enjoy the room or pool since i was mostly away..

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank anaccrv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quarteira
Crowne Plaza Vilamoura - Algarve
Vila Gale Ampalius
Vila Gale Ampalius
#10 of 36 in Vilamoura
Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel

Been to Dom Jose Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!