“Very basic and isolated hotel.... but attractive grounds.”

Pinhal do Sol Hotel
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Quarteira
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel was a very good price but once you get there it's on the pricey side. The strange thing is, food is very reasonable but drinks are, in my opinion, extortionate!! It costs £3 for a tiny glass of orange juice, the size you could down in one go!! It wasn't even fresh orange, it was cordial diluted, outrageous!! Anyway.... evening meal is good value as it is 10euros for the buffet where there is a choice of soup, salad, two main courses to choose from and a couple of desserts to choose from; drinks not included. It is very repetitive and by night five we were finding it boring eating the same things but I will say that one of the best things about our stay at this hotel was that the female waitress in the restaurant overheard me saying that I am a vegetarian and every night she would come up to me and ask if I would like something different making for me. I found this a bit of a lifesaver as barely none of the food was meat free so that was really great service.
The room was the most basic I've ever stayed in: two twin beds instead of a double bed (had to push them together, was uncomfortable), a bath that had no plug so you couldn't actually have a bath if you wished, a rubber shower attachment that was discoloured and looked like something out of the 1960s, no balcony, just a tiny window, tiny TV that had 1 English speaking channel, no mini fridge, and a telephone that cost me 10euros for a 1 minute phonecall, no more, no less. Shocking if you ask me.
I was not expecting opulence for the price we paid but I do admit to regretting booking this hotel, purely for the reason of its isolation. The website we booked on deceivingly stated it was in Vilamoura- take note, it is nowhere near it whatsoever. It is in a town called Quarteira which would have been fine if not for the fact that you would be walking for at least 30 minutes uphill from Quarteira's shops and restaurants to the hotel. A taxi from the shops cost 7 euros each time and the walk was very offputting in the searing heat. Their secluded position kind of monopolised you a bit as you were restricted with the times you could go out unless you wanted to pay sky high taxi fares coming home later than their shuttle bus goes to (19:50, and it never turned up either).
The shuttle bus is really handy for visiting Vilamoura beach (gorgeous), Vilamoura Marina and Quarteria (rubbish gritty beach). Just don't rely on it to pick you back up!!
The staff were very friendly and helpful, with the exception of an older barman who was very reluctant to serve you, often lingered in the backroom til you rang the bell for his attention, then when he surfaced he would groan at your request, no matter how friendly I was to him. I asked him for clean glasses one time as the ones he gave us were dirty and he found that a chore and I asked really pleasantly! i asked him for a cocktail and he replied, 'They take too long to make'. Charming!! Everyone else though was great and a credit to the hotel. The manager was very welcoming and ensured we were enjoying our stay.
The grounds are very well kept and quite picturesque with lots of lovely trees and flowers in all different colours. There are two pools, both of which are quite small and covered in leaves unfortunately and freezing!! Small park area for children to play in too.
To conclude, this is ok on a budget but the isolated nature of the hotel would put me off ever booking it again, it just restricts you far too much!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fear0fFlying
There are newer reviews for Pinhal do Sol Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed 8 days here and loved every minute of it. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were huge and very clean. The food was good especially the breakfasts, dinner was good but would have preferred a few more choices in the main course. We used the minibus several times to go to Villamora, which was free and reliable. Hotel is a bit out of the way but this helps to keep it select and quiet. The pool area was quiet too and no queues for sunbeds, sometimes we had the pool to ourselves as most guests go off for the day in the hired cars. There is a new supermarket in the village just down the road that sells hot freshly baked bread and the water is cheaper to buy here than at the hotel. We found the prices for lunch and drinks quite reasonable 7.50 euros for a bottle of house wine.
IF you want to get away from it all, this is the place we came back really relaxed.
Will definately be booking for next year,

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Stayed in standard type room with nothing in the way of facilities, i.e. kettle. Offered to pay for hire of a kettle as had taken own tea, sugar etc. but even though hotel was pretty empty reception staff were apparently unable (or reluctant) to provide one. Eventually spoke to manager who did get one delivered to our room after two days. Accomodation clean but bathrooms in desperate need of a revamp. Choice of food limited compared to other hotels I have stayed at but tasty all the same. Staff spoke very little english and were not the friendliest people by any stretch, especially restaurant staff on an evening who just seemed to go through the motions without a smile. Grounds and pool area are very well kept and peace and quiet abounds. If you want a holiday to do nothing but relax and are not too choosy about modern facilities or smiley happy staff then it will probably suit you but a car is ESSENTIAL if you want to go out and about.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my fiancé. Our first impression was of how clean it is, the hotel is a short drive from Faro airport, a taxi costs around 25 euro’s. The hotel is a little remote; however the hotel does provide a regular free shuttle bus to the local areas. The pool area is generally very quiet and clean, there are lots of little birds around the pool although they are not noisy, and add to the Old Portuguese theme of the hotel.
The room was very clean, with air-conditioning and its own little balcony, in a standard room although there is no T/C making facilities
The hotel is also in walking distance to AquaShow water park (10min walk), all other amenities would need to be accessed by getting either the shuttle bus to town or by taxi. There are a few local beaches close to the hotel which are really nice too.
My only complaint would be that the dinner was poor, although the breakfast buffet was brilliant and there are lots to choose from.
The staff is all very approachable and helpful, I would definitely recommend Pinhal do Sol to anyone looking for a peaceful get away, and would be happy to return myself anytime.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2010

It's a good hotel and good value for money. The only thing is that when you want breakfast at 9 o clock, most of the breakfast is gone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We've just returned from Pinhal do Sol and really enjoyed our stay. Yes its a distance away from the town but the minibus compensates for that. The food is ok - pleanty of it but not a lot of choice for a veggie. The soup is delicious and tastes homemade. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in an upstairs, upgraded room with large tv, sofa etc. It was enormous. The only thing we disagreed with was that although they supplied a kettle, cups etc, there were no teabags, coffee and milk. We had to buy these from reception. Most rooms are non-smoking but there was always a waft of smoke coming from the downstairs balcony. Not nice. I have to say that the hotel was spotlessly clean and the gardens very well kept. The pool at the end of the drive was lovely - really clean and very quiet. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Pinhal do Sol to anyone wishing a peaceful break.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Just returned from a week at the Pinhal Do Sol, and overall a pleasant, relaxing stay. I agree with many of the reviews on here, yes, there could be some improvements, but for the price we paid I am not complaining! I stayed with my parents in a spacious room, with a nice small balcony overlooking the gardens. The room was large and spacious, with a nice bathroom and good amenities. Room had hairdryer, ironing board, iron, kettle and fridge. The fridge and kettle were great, and came in really useful. The shower was excellent, really powerful and always hot, somthing I have not always had the pleasure of in other hotels! The staff were pleasant and friendly, the chef in particular, always served you with a smile! The food overall was good- not a fabulous selection but everything was very nicely cooked, and there was always something for everyone. There was always two meat and two fish dishes to choose from, as well as chips, rice, potoatoes and salad. There was always a different soup, and a couple of different deserts each evening. breakfast was good, with lots to choose from.

If you are one for lying by the pool, I don't think this hotel is for you! Unfortunately, the pool area is quite small, with only about 15 sun beds in total, so unless you planned on staying there the whole day, you were lucky to get a sun bed. We came back a few times in the mid afternon, and there was never enough sunbeds, especially with people leaving their towels on them all day. The pool was also not heated- def on the freezing side! Only went in once, that was enough for me. even the kids around the pool said how cold it was!

Did not sample the evening entertainment- again bar area quite small, and their always seemed to be football or sport on the TV. Preferred just to spend the evenings in our room or out and about. The Hotel is a little isolated, prob a good 15 minute walk from centre of Quarteira, and I would def recommend a car to get out and about. The hotel did provide a shuttle service during the day to both Quarteira and Villamoura, so that was good.

Overall, we were happy for what we got, considering the price we paid- £200 each incl. flights for 1 week HB. If I had paid more, I would prob have been a little dissapointed. A nice hotel, but one I don't think I would make an effort to go back to again. (Would recommend again for the right price!)

• Stayed: April 2010