“Chilled out holiday.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Atismar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Atismar
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Quarteira
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Chilled out holiday.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and I shall definately be returning. We booked all inclusive. I found the meals were fine some very enjoyable and some not to my taste, but I always found something to eat. There were toasties available during the day. We didn't have lunch at the hotel as there was plenty of food to fill up on at breakfast, to keep us going and besides, the beach was too good to leave to return for lunch. As it was out of season when we went, I was glad that we booked All inclusive, not alot of places were open over Christmas.
Thanks for the the previous tips, I took a hair dryer and a travel kettle I would have been very dissapointed not being able to have my morning brew in my room/balcony.
All in all, a lovely relaxed holiday to blow the winter blues away. Who needs BBC World News on holiday anyway?

Room Tip: Higher floors for a sea view
4 Thank Elizabethkiss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have to thank the other reviewers’ for giving me my first hearty laugh for 2012 with their brilliantly well observed comments. I have to say that I agree in part with one of the foregoing reviewers’ when they state that the review should only be about the holiday as the behaviour of the ‘family from hell’ was outside the hotel’s control. However, where I depart from their view, is that hotel guests do contribute to the ambience of the whole holiday experience, and a response of a hotel I stayed at earlier in the year, was one of zero tolerance. When a fight broke out at the bar in the early hours of the morning, the culprits were immediately ejected from the hotel, alternative accommodation was found for them, and they were permanently excluded from the hotel resort complex.

What was in the hotel’s control was their approach to the complaint. I believe the very elegant shimmering hotel manager, so eloquently and accurately described by a previous reviewer, should not have approached the complainant at the dinning table, save to say, that she acknowledged her concerns. Rather than interrupt the other guests who were still eating she should have invited the complainant to discuss the matter with her after the complainant had finished dining herself. That invitation should have included discussing the matter in the office immediately behind the reception desk, which would have taken the whole incidence out of public view.

In terms of the food whilst I agree you cannot starve the selection along with the TV channels needs to be improved upon. There were refreshments laid on at 5pm teatime, but the hotel let it self down slightly by failing to cater and understand their cliental. For predominately British guest, whilst I fully understand high tea may be costly, small cakes, catering gateaux and biscuits, which could also be extended to be included with the after dinner sweet selection, would have been more in keeping with tastes of their guests. I think the British love affair with blancmange type mould deserts mercifully came to an end in the early 1970s.

The hotel was exceptionally clean and full credit to their cleaning staff. The dinning staff were polite and appeared to work extremely hard. The mature bartender was an excellent ambassador for the hotel and as one reviewer pointed out; he had excellent interpersonal skills engaging constantly with the guests. His younger counterpart of the alternative shift pattern would do well to take note. The Younger chap was not rude to me but he could certainly benefit by turning his frown up side down.

If it were in my gift, I would promote the senior bartender o front of house staff within a managerial position. He may not be able to shimmy as gracefully as the main manager, but his interpersonal skills, which is a key asset to any hotel in my opinion, is worth its weight in gold. The hotel is brilliantly situated by the breach and main transport facilities. I would certainly consider returning if the suggested improvements are made.

Room Tip: 5th Floor room 509 was good as there are two balconys
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank blaxhussar
County Durham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have just returned from a nine day holiday at the Atismar - being there over the Christmas period and returning to the UK on 29 December.

We too were there when the 'family from hell' were there but the review is about the hotel and facilities and not the guests, over which the Hotel has no control.

Having said that, we did witness the altercation between the mother and the restaurant staff and the reception staff and manageress. The outburst by the mother was uncalled for and if she had any genuine grievances, there is a polite way to do it. Politeness was obviously not the way she does things and only reinforces the comments made by other reviewers.

We were booked as Half Board, in fact the option of All Inclusive was not available from our Travel Agent. I am pleased we weren't All Inclusive as I feel that the definition of All Inclusive at this time of the year at the Atismar only seemed to include Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and selected alcoholic drinks when the bar opened after lunch. The included drinks also finished at 10pm when All Inclusive guests had to pay for their drinks until the bar closed at midnight. There seemed to be no other catering option i.e. snacks etc. outside of meal times which is usually a feature of all inclusive.

When we checked in, we were allocated a room on the second floor, with a balcony but overlooking a back road and an apartment block - no sea view and no sun. We had previously asked for a high floor, sea facing room but were told by the receptionist that this was not possible as no other rooms were available. We did notice that when 'the family from hell' allegedly had a fight/disturbance on their floor (the 7th I believe) it was like musical chairs at the reception desk the next morning as neighbouring guests wanted and indeed some achieved, room changes.

Our room on the second floor was quiet and peaceful so we gained something there. However, I would agree that a larger selection of English TV channels is required as the occupancy breakdown of the Hotel at the time of our stay would, as an estimate, be 97% English/Scottish and Irish. The television in our room was also a 14" Big Backed 'portable' TV mounted high up on the wall in a thief proof bracket. Some improvement needed there I think.

I cannot agree with some of the comments about the food being good. Particularly with the evening meal, the selection was limited and certainly on our first couple of days there was only one meat and only one other (usually fish) choice. This increased to three choices after the first few days. However, the accompaniments never matched some of the main courses but there was always chips and rice. There was always vegetable soup which was very nice. Occasionally vegetables but again they regularly didn't match the main selection. The chef must have as one of his prized kitchen tools, an axe. Meat was generally chopped into small lumps and not recognisable as joints and then cooked. In effect you were getting lumps of bone with meat attached. One evening we were treated to the delights of Turkey and Chestnuts, You've guessed it, lumps of bone with turkey attached. One guest said to me as I was selecting my meal, to avoid the turkey as it was red and raw and was undercooked. I didn't heed his warning and whilst it wasn't raw a good vet could have rescued some of my 'cuts' of turkey. The next evening, we were offered Hamburgers and Chestnuts. The selection at breakfast I couldn't criticise as it was ample and well cooked.

If you are a fussy eater, you may have problems but we didn't starve. However, if you have young children, this may be a problem as I don't think many kids would be willing to find something to their liking on the evening dinner menu. This was one of the reasons that the 'family from hell' kicked off with the staff citing that they couldn't feed their kids. We used to look forward to the hotel publishing the evening menu to see what delight was in store for us. We did nickname the menu the 'Rolf Harris Menu' i.e. 'do you know what it is yet'! I cannot comment on the Lunch menu as we didn't partake of lunch.

The staff at the hotel were quietly efficient but from our perception, they didn't have a lot of interaction, only speaking when spoken to. However, one of the bartenders, I believe he was called Paulo, was a consummate professional, being eager to serve and managing the busy bar efficiently. He also regularly enquired as to how our holiday was going, had we had a good day etc.etc. His colleague who worked the opposite shifts was entirely the opposite, not speaking, surly and disappearing out the back if he saw you approaching the bar.

The only other member of staff I could comment on is a lady who I believe was the manager. She collected glasses in the evening and 'shimmied' between tables not speaking to anyone and indeed always looked on edge and uncomfortable.

In summary, the hotel is well placed only minutes from the beach and other services, shops, bus station etc. It is clean tidy and modern. In my opinion if the food offering was improved, the hotel could 'tick all the boxes'.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a sea view however some rooms don't have balconies whilst some have 2.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank stanlo
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We too,were there the same week as the "family from hell"!The 3 children did not have any supervision as far as I could see...they put their hands into the bowl of fruit salad,ate it and then did the same again!One night,peeled oranges were provided as an extra dessert..the kids squeezed the juice all over the floor,then replaced the oranges for another unsuspecting guest to eat...(and the father was beside them!)...licking the tongs used for serving(luckily seen by the waiter,and the items washed)...scratching their heads then picking up bread,before putting it back in the basket...licking the apples(seen by another guest and removed)...pouring out cereal with no bowl under,causing waste and mess...running in and out of the automatic front door(not once or twice,but around 15/20 times in a few minutes)need I go on?

In a way,I felt sorry for the children,as they didn't have a good example to learn from...the grandmother was outside the door smoking,when the kids ran out,the little one got almost to the road(but did cross the car park!)before the father caught her up.

I was very glad to be on the 10th floor,because we didnt hear the fight between the parents at half two in the morning!

What disgusted me most of all,was the mothers' treatment of the reception staff...we were in the hotel lobby one night,when we heard a lot of shouting..this woman was being very rude to the receptionist,telling her to shut up,that she was speaking to the manageress("she's above you!")

Later,when going to our room,the receptionist apologised to us and said we shouldn't have had to witness that...and I told her she shouldn't have to take abuse either!

ALL !!! the staff we met at the Hotel,from reception to dining staff to bar staff to room-maids,were very pleasant and efficient in their jobs.

I do agree that an extra one or two English channels on the room tv,would be nice,also wifi in the room would be brilliant!

The food was varied and plentiful...not really to my liking,as I don't like garlic!

However,I got by each night on 2 bowls of soup(delicious every night)fries,a dessert and some fruit..I never went hungry!

One of the nights,the chef did steam me a lovely piece of fish,and I was also offered omelette.

As we didn't have time for a full breakfast on the day of departure,and my husband is a diabetic,the hotel very kindly put us up a sandwich and fruit juice...this was very much appreciated.

With the added bonus of sunshine all week,we really couldn't fault our holiday...this being the first time we had been away at Christmas.

We met some lovely people,and would not think twice about returning to the Atismar.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor,a corner room with two balconies/terraces...one overlooking the town(lovel...
4 Thank nannysodoff
rhyl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Just back from the Atismar and what a place my god !! This hotel is fine if you want to die. No entertainment whatsoever ,first night i found a black hair in my food complained and the staff just laughed second day at breackfast there was a dead squashed fly on one of the so called clean plates food the cheapest of the cheapest disgusting ate out every night !! Staff very rude and ignorant.Atmosphere was terrible for christmas full of oap s moaning about everythink they really hate children at this hotel and are really quite nasty to them.The food was the same leftovers from the previous serving really unbelievable.Had to wait 3 days for clean towels!!! Oh plus they put us being a young family on the 8 th floor not practical with a 2, 3 and 8year old with such low balconies a disaster waiting to happen and if u complain they laugh in your face !! All the drinks from the bar are watered down so many families managed to get moved to different hotels but unfortunatly we booked direct with the hotel so no chance would they give us a refund !!! The pool is grotty freezing cold not heated and the water is filthy all the lowerground of the hotel was flooded with what smelt like overflowing sewerage !!! Never seen anythink like it unreal dont opt for this being a cheap holiday as you will really regret it i need a holiday to recover from all the moaning oaps sat there with there dentures in there all in bed every night at 830pm lol

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vivi75

Travelers are raving about these Quarteira hotels

wolverhampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We was very happy with the hotel, a friendly service, clean throughout, hot showers, rooms cleaned every day (even on Christmas day)! The food was plentyful a choice of fish and meat platter and a good fresh salad selection each day.
The holiday all in all was very enjoyable, we made friends with some lovely people.
The beaches and resort was lovely, lots of things to do and see such as family fishing trips, Jeep safari trip and bike hire for a few euros a day. The weather was quite hot for the time of year too.

One thing that could be improved is the TV viewing in the rooms, very basic and non English speaking except the BBC World News channel.
However we did encounter a rather problematic family while staying in the hotel, (as the last person described in his review) We too shared the same week as he did. I have to agree the Christmas week was shared with a very disfunctional family who caused chaos in the hotel throughout their stay!
I can only say that I became very concerened about the three children of the family, they are in desperate need of emergency Intervention from the Children's Services within the Social Services Department!

Room Tip: sea view with balcony a must,.
3 Thank Glyn C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

Great hotel good service great beer fantastic weather been sitting on the beach with 21c temperatures
Go for the upper rooms fantastic sea view with amazing sunsets all in all its turning out to be a great christmas apart from a certain family and if you were here the same week as me you will know what I mean

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Quartaira
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quarteira
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
Auramar Beach Resort
Auramar Beach Resort
#70 of 162 in Albufeira
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,713 reviews

Been to Hotel Atismar? Share your experiences!