“excellent location, value for money”

King's Club Apartments
widnes
“excellent location, value for money”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked a last minute 5 day bargain break through on the beach. First impressions weren't the best as the immediate surrounding areas looked like a building site. We were shown to our apartment which felt dated with dark wood doors and furniture and bedding/curtains like my nan used to have in her house. but we couldn't complain as the sheer size of the apartment and facilities were superb. The location of the apartments were ideal, about 250 meters to the beach and about 150 meters to shops bars and restaurants. I would definately come back here, the resort seemed to be mostly occupied by portugease holiday makers and people from other eu countries but hardly any English which is a massive bonus! Purchased wifi (10 euros for 3 days) which i wouldn't recommend as it was more miss than hit. Found the owner lady to be very friendly and helpful and the apartments had a family run feel to them. Nice little pool with drinks for sale by the owners young son. Apartments were clean, found a couple of hairs in the bed but apart from that no complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank antonlefosh

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
manchester
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reading previous reviews I was under the impression these apartments had been improved recently and I was not wrong.The apartment we booked was a studio apartment but immediately we arrived we were upgraded to a one bedroom apartment and what value for money.The apartment was roomy ,spacious,clean and very well attired,washing machine and everything you need on holiday.The down side was no air con and no satellite TV but you can live with that.Also it is advertised on various sites and on your key receipt as being 200-400 metres from the beach,couldn't be more wrong,its more like 800-1000 metres and not a pleasant walk past a derelict building site before you get to the main road.As well as this the walk up the never ending hill after a hard day on the beach in 35°heat is not pleasant.The apartment itself seemed to be amongst locals home apartments and the noise generated by what seemed to be a children's club on the ground floor did not make for good sleeping,children in Portugal seem to be up till all hours.Quarteria itself is not the best of places ,if you are British and like a bit of British its not for you ,it seems to be a cheap Portuguese destination for the locals.Saying that the beach is fantastic and for only 10 euros per day you can hire 2 sun loungers and fixed parasol .Compare that to elsewhere,Villamoura is 16 euros, its good value.Don't visit the market its a rip off and full of pick pockets etc.Highlight for us was the Jokers bar ,close to the fish market,excellent food and hospitality.We chose Quarteria as a cheap holiday and its what we got.5 euro taxi ride 2.20 bus ride or 15 minuite walk and you've got Villamoura marina and its a different world.All in all apartments good ,Quarteria rough ,would not recommend for us Brits.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and go to Villamoura
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hattonManchester
DERBY
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just came back from Kings, paid for studio but on arrival they gave us an apartment which
Was surprisingly well equipped and quite spacious we only had the room cleaned once and was only a quick brush and wipe, the tempreture at night was getting hotter and was borderline for AC, like a lot of people have said in their reviews
The area surrounding the hotel was a bit shabby,the pool area I thought was a bit tight but we didn't much time around it. The supermarket is quite cheap especially wine and beer. The bus terminus is not far away it costs 0.75 euro to villamoura and 8.50 euro return to allberferia.
The Wednesday market was a complete waste of time we didn't buy a thing
All in all you get what you pay for but if we go to portugal again I would go somewhere else

1 Thank DerbyBenny
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for a week as a cheap get away and were not dissapointed! :) close walk to the beach, shops, bars and vilamoura. Recoment fantasia resturaunt. Was divine! The area isnt the prettiest, but you cant expect paradise on a budget hols! It is what you make it! :) we had 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and living diner :) bit noisy throughwalls at night but hay some people are all nighters! Haha. Deffinately recomend! And take suncream!! Haha

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank jessyr94
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Clean apartments. Big cooker, fridge, toaster, etc. Very helpful and friendly reception staff. Booked me 3 days car hire for 80 euros and confirmed our transfer for us. Nice pool area. Big selection of books to borrow. Big supermarket 5 mins away. NB fruit from fruit market is twice the price of supermarket. 5 mins walk to huge uncrowded beach. Sea was cold. Also nights were cold even in middle of June so take a jacket/sweater and long trousers. Lager was 2 Euros a pint! Avoid Dartagnans restaurant, a seedy rundown British pub with rude aggressive waitress. Recommend Fantasia restaurant on seafront. Huge portions, big menu. Also Bom Sabor for good steaks, lamb chops, etc. Dont forget to go to Vilamaura, marina, posh hotels and restaurants (but not expensive). 5 euros taxi ride away.
Downside? Only two things I can think of. One morning was ruined by 1000 decibel hedge trimmer. However when I complained manager was very apologetic.Main problem I suppose was the risk of crime. The neighbourhood appears to be somewhat deprived and two apartments had recently been broken into and had things stolen. However, a night security guard has now been employed to reduce risk.
All in all, though, we had an enjoyable 2 weeks, and alot cheaper than 2 weeks self-catering in the UK!

Room Tip: Studios are at the back, smaller balconies and no sun, but we didn't mind, they were quieter.
1 Thank Andrew F
Bolton
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just returned from Kings ... These apartments are very clean and huge which is fantastic with having a toddler, oh and the pool area is lovely. However, the Apartments are in a very deprived area. I travelled with my Husband, toddler and my Mum and Dad (my Mum and Dad had a room of their own) on the front of the hotel on the 3rd floor and burglars came into their room in the middle of the night whilst they were asleep and took their money and valueables. My parents hadn't closed the shutters or locked the patio doors with it being a hot night in thinking that burglars wouldn't be able to climb to the 3rd floor, however they did! Yes of course, my parents should have locked the patio doors but besides that, the area on the whole isn't nice, full of graffitti and the surrounding apartments which are residential look dreadful. I didn't venture out without my Husband as I didn't feel it was safe to do so and at night time inside the apartment I didn't feel safe (even more so once my parents got robbed!) We have stayed in other parts of the Algarve previously which we found lovely. Personally, I'd rather pay more and stay somewhere where I feel safe, which I have done in the past but this time opted for a cheap holiday which I now regret. We definately won't be staying in Quarteira again. It is a shame that these lovely apartments are in such a bad area of Portugal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dbirty
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

just got back from the kings ( 8th june 2013). I would strongly recommend this hotel. we stayed in the 1 bedroom apartment which was very spacious and had everything you need on a self catering holiday. it had a cooker, washer, coffee making machine, toaster, kettle, microwave, iron, ironing board. the large balcony faced the sun from midday till the sunset. the swimming pool was nice with a small pool for the kids. it is a short walk from the front and close to the bus terminus and supermarket.the apartment is cleaned twice a week to an high standard and the reception is very helpful. I will be going back.

Room Tip: the studios are quite small and don't get much sun, 1 bedroom apartment a must.
3 Thank chris m