All reviewscooking classoutdoor gymour honeymooncooking schoolfamily suiteboutique hoteldirt roadthree nightstuscan countrysideitaly tripvery special placetiramisuwine listevery morningpastacooking courseoff the beaten path
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We arrived in Tuscany for the start of our Honeymoon.
Our GPS could not find the Villa correctly but luckily it is well sign posted to be able to find Villa Bordoni so we turned down the last road onto the gravel road everyone has mentioned.
It does add to the whole feel of the place and makes you feel like your on an adventure.
The gardens leading into the villa were amazing beautiful big bushes of lavender just gorgeous!
Once we arrived we got congratulated.....and directed to our room.
Our room was quaint but didnt have a view at all which was a little disappointing since it was a first stop on our honeymoon.
There was a strange smell in the room as well smelt like polishing agent and it soon gave us both a headache. I then found out it was reed diffuser that was giving off the smell we opened the window to try and let the air flow.
We went to the bar for a drink and ordered a bottle of wine we waited and waited no wine.....so my new hubby went to check on it.
They hadn't forgotten us but the wine needed to be chilled to the correct temperature to serve. We wouldnt have minded if they had just told us ....we might have ordered something else in the interim. They were apologetic which I appreciate but its just common sense I thought.
Then finally we met Hugo! He basically turned our stay completely around.....what was turning out to be a bit of a let down everything got better.
Hugo is so polite and without being to pushy one of the best waiters around.
The food in the restaurant is amazing! We ate in the restaurant every night as it was just easy after travelling around all day.
The only thing was the restaurant is closed on Mondays......which I understand they need to close but just makes it tough to drink the regional wine with the beautiful food without driving!
The next day I took the smelly reeds to reception and had to ask for extra pillows as they were really too soft.
Our stay was so relaxing mostly just sitting in the garden just drinking and overlooking the chianti hills.
We mentioned to reception on our arrival that we wanted to do wine tasting & tours and could she give us some suggestions on where to go we got a map and some areas were circled.
The next day we stumbled on a winery that had tastings and tours we rocked up and found out we were 15 minutes too late for the tour. We then bumped into some other guests of Villa Bordoni who had been booked in for the tour by the same receptionist the day before.....if only she had told us we could have got in as the next tour was not until we were leaving Tuscany.
We would definately go back to the restaurant but might try a different accommodation the smell was to overpowering.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

There were many things I really loved about Villa Bordini... however, not sure I would go back as there were some things that need improvement. Here are my thoughts:

Things I Didn't Like:
-Internet access was spotty
-We changed rooms a few times. BIG difference in quality of rooms. Several rooms have absolutely zero view (a bummer in such a beautiful area). One room had a very nice view (but still not great). Several rooms were dark (limited natural light).
-Dinner was good but not great (and expensive)
-Choices of wine by the glass limited and just okay
-Pool area needs some umbrellas
-The owners were okay.. the woman was nice but seemed a bit stressed. The man was a bit odd.
-Views are very limiting
-Pool is average
-Cost is high for what you get (especially some of the rooms)

What I Liked:
-The staff is *amazing* and made our trip
-The beds are extremely comfortable (high quality linens, good size)
-Breakfast was very, very good
-Charming decor (rooms, dining area)
-Beautiful gardens
-Workout area is sufficient
-Gorgeous area

Lots of Americans. Lots of kids (child friendly). Not sure I would return given all the accommodation options in the area... if the price was a bit lower I'd feel I received a better value for my money.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jill L
Reviewed July 16, 2010

There are many more superlatives I can think of to describe our experience at Villa Bordoni on our honeymoon. We decided on this spot over some others because of the restaurant and location near a town (Greve). We made the right choice, no doubt. We had read reviews of the treacherous road/driveway leading to the property, and indeed we were weary after the initial ascent up to it in our rental car. But we were quickly put at ease as Catherine welcomed us and whisked us away to the bar for a couple glasses of spumante and a light lunch while our bags and room were taken care of. She and her husband David do a great job running this "Tuscan B&B" and it holds true for the entire staff. It is a beautiful spot with great views of the quintessential hills and vineyards, the grounds well maintained and bursting with foliage (and olive trees from which they make their own oil). We anticipated being out and about each and every day, but in reality we spent many an afternoon relaxing poolside. We also thought we'd make reservations for dinner in other towns most nights, but soon realized the difficulty on the undulating roads in darkness after a bottle or so of wine. Another reason we're so glad we chose Villa Bordoni because, knowing David and Catherine own Baldovino in Florence, the restaurant was bound to be good. Hugo, the manager, is very warm and eager to please, and we thoroughly enjoyed our tranquil lunches and dinners outside on the patio and courtyard. The tasting menu changes daily per seasonal availability of ingredients, with tradition very evident in the dishes. We changed our dinner reservations in other towns to lunches and so got the best of both worlds. We loved how each room in the Villa is unique and ours was gorgeous. Spacious with a comfortable bed and a superb bathroom. The location is great; right on the main country road from Florence to Siena (SR 222), an easy drive in either direction. Greve is a charming town at bottom of the hill with several good, traditional restaurants. The countryside is surely the place to find the best of italian cuisine (except for the Gardners' places in Florence of course). Villa Bordoni has a very intimate and inviting feel to it; Catherine and David live across the valley and both work in the Villa frequently despite their growing empire in Florence. We were extremely well taken care of by everyone during our stay, and by the time we left we actually enjoyed the quirky drive up to the villa from Greve. It seemed appropo to exert some effort to find this gem. I am already brainstorming our return for an anniversary (hopefully soon).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Bordoni for two nights at the very end of May and it was the highlight of our trip. We were so sad that we had just lost our camera the day before arriving so that we don't have any pictures of this fabulous place! We stayed in a junior suite and it was extremely comfortable, including the amazing shower and bathroom. Our only complaint about the stay was that we weren't able to stay longer (and the flat tire we got on the road leading to the villa as the result of a sharp rock on the side of the road so be careful)! The surroundings are amazing and the villa so relaxing and comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and that was amazing as well. The villa arranged a private cooking class for us one afternoon and we would highly recommend that as well! My best advice to you is to book here early (we booked months in advance and when we wanted to alter the booking by a couple days, they were all booked up). We hope to be able to visit again soon!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We spent two nights at the Villa Bordoni. It was our 60th anniversary.
The road to the villa was difficult to find and it was not pleasant driving.
We were given a room with no heat. It was very cold. We had dinner there and the staff tried to light the logs so that our shivering would stop. The couple next to us even offered to change rooms with us.
Flies in the area that breakfast was served.
Our room was changed the next day, but that did not compensate for our bad experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple