All reviewscooking classoutdoor gymour honeymoonfamily suitecooking schoolboutique hoteldirt roadthree nightstuscan countrysidegarden roomvery special placeitaly triptiramisuwine listevery morningpastacooking course
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Everything is superb, rooms, service, staff and owners.

One thing as I have mentioned, don't make the same mistake I made and drove up the mountain at night. another couple mentioned the same thing, they almost got into a fight because of that.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2010

It's funny coming back from a hotel and then reading the reviews back again as they really take on a life of their own. We came here for the second part of a two week honeymoon in Italy. We travelled to Florence after 3 days in Venice and hired a car from the airport.

I agree with the below - you simply MUST have a car. The dirt track that some people found odd, we found a totally essential part of the experience! We were going to Tuscany to get away from it all and I don't think for one moment it would be good 'to pave over it' - just drive slowly and take the time to marvel in the surrounding countryside. This hotel is really tucked away and we loved that - fresh air, wonderful surroundings and serious attention to detail all feature here. I was perplexed by the review below stating the rooms weren't anything special: we found them stunning - every single one is different (although of course we only spend time in our own!) We walked in and gasped! In a good way. We have stayed in many nice hotels - we don't have any kids yet and this is how we treat ourselves - but this was something special. It had a unique touch the whole way through, it looked amazing, was absolutely spotless, had all the little modcons one would expect (although wifi up a hill in Tuscany is touch and go, it was a good excuse to try to stay off email for a while). It also smelt amazing - I later learnt that different spices and perfumes have been sourced and placed around the hotel. Even the toilet paper smelt like orange blossom!! OK - so I'm a girl - but things like this just make you smile and feel fantastic.

The hotel and food was great. The menu was limited, granted, with a changing taster meal every day - but we found the staff to be really flexible when we asked - allowing us to have lunch snacks in the evening when we were too full of wine and pasta to indulge in much more. You just have to ask. The staff were charming but not too fussy - they could perhaps pour a little more wine in the glass for 5 euros upwards a go but perhaps that's just the English lush in me talking!

One thing I would suggest, incase the hotel are reading this, would be to make the upstairs 'landing' area with sofa etc more inviting for a real daily use. The downstairs bar is nice and outside is stunning (I would imagine if we had gone in May / June we would have been outside all the time) but for the less warm months a little more indoors communal luxury would be great. The restaurant is stunning but for a drink and a read a truely inviting comfy area would just add the final WOW.

It is fairly expensive but so is all of Italy and if you take on board the care and attention taken in revamping the place, the expertise and charm of the staff and overall luxury of the villa (it's not huge but it's wonderful) then I really don't see what there is to grumble about. It was the best value for money we had for the whole two weeks away.

We didn't see much of the owners aside from a quick chat with the lady owner as we checked out, it would have been nice to find out more about their life in Italy but I hope to return and find out myself.

Well done for a creating a retreat to be proud of - I really hope we will be back very soon.

Oh, and we went horse riding at 'Il Ranch' - hilarious watching my new husband try to saddle up and a wonderful trek through the stunning countryside. I recommend.

Caroline and Alex, London

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolineHalsey
Reviewed March 25, 2010

The setting is 5****. When you drive up the unmade road through vineyards and farmland, you're not quite sure what you'll find....Villa Bordoni is a converted 10 room villa set in spectacular Tuscan countryside - I will never forget opening the shutters of our room in the morning and being greeted with the rolling Tuscan valley - vineyards, olive groves, farmhouses, smoking chimneys, hills - simply breathtaking and just how you imagine Tuscany to be - every view a picture. You feel like you have the run of a country-house, the gardens are lush and the saltwater pool is on a terrace overlooking the countryside (it was rather cold when we were there). The gym facilities are limited and consist of a few machines and cross-trainers in a sheltered area overlooking the pool.

The food and wine are as good as you would expect for this country and the restaurant is very cosy and intimate (probably more so in winter as they have an open fire). You can also have pre-dinner drinks on the lovely terrace at the front, again surrounded by olive trees and lemon trees.

The rooms are rustic and you should chose your room carefully, as some have much nicer bathrooms and better views, etc.

I would return for a long weekend here. There is plenty to do - walking, cycling, cookery classes, wine tasting, etc and you are within easy striking distance of some lovely towns in Chianti, as well as Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, etc and some great designer shopping outlets (Prada, Gucci, etc, etc).

Make sure you have lunch or dinner at La Cantinetta - it's close to the hotel and at the end of more unmade roads, but worth the trip - a very traditional and rustoc Tuscan restaurant with wonderful views. It has an open fire in the kitchen where you can see the meats and breads, etc being cooked. The porcini mushrooms and truffles are sensational, so is the wild boar and tagliata - all served on wooden boards - a very special place that despite being isolated is always busy - reserve a table and it's closed on Tuesdays.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank longjohnsilverLondon
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We booked a room at the Villa Bordoni completely on a whim. It was the day of and we were driving around Chianti, I read a trip advisor review on my blackberry and gave them a call. They were super helpful and although we were only one of two rooms booked, we got personal attention. The villa is fantastic - even in the rain and even in the dead of winter. We walked around the grounds with an umbrella and ate dinner in the intimate dining room. Also very good. I'd love to come back in the summer sometime and experience the pool and outdoor workout facilities. Both looked great!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Our six day stay at Villa Bordoni at the end of September and beginning of October 2009 was fabulous. Owners/hosts David and Catherine Gardner and all their staff provided excellent service. With David as a gregarious and ebullient dinner host, guests were quickly made to feel welcome and to join conversations or a quiet table as they chose. The cuisine was excellent, with the menu changing from night to night. None-the-less David was most willing to recommend excellent alternate dining nearby and had the professional net to make reservations at the best tables. The villa and its grounds were extremely well maintained and had a fabulous view over the valley. The locale in central Chianti was well place to make day trips to many, many cities, towns, villages and attactions (Pisa 90 minutes away, Florence and Siena each with all of their fabulous medieval and renaissance sights, perhaps 45 minutes away). The Chianti roads twist and turn through the most picturesque countryside and for greatest enjoyment calls for an auto that is on the sporty, maneuverable side.

Our stay at the Villa Bordoni was most memorable and one which we would be delighted to repeat. In six days one can only scratch the surface of all that there is to see and do here and the base camp for doing it is superb.

T & I, Ottawa, Canada