All reviewscooking classoutdoor gymour honeymooncooking schoolfamily suiteboutique hoteldirt roadthree nightstuscan countrysideitaly tripvery special placetiramisuwine listevery morningpastacooking courseoff the beaten path
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed at Villa Bordoni for 3 nights several weeks ago. We used the directions on the site from Pisa and only got lost once- watch out for a sudden sharp left turn in Chianti leading you to Greve and you will be fine. Our 1st trip up the infamous dirt track was quite exciting, and takes you past vineyeards and gorgeous tree lined roads, every other time it does become slightly tedious as you have to drive so slowly, but still adds to the ambience of the place and wasn’t a huge issue for us.

After checking in and having our bags carried to our room, we were shown to the ‘yellow room’ or Regiana. Spacious, clean, elegant and romantic I would happily request this room again every time.

The gardens and grounds are gorgeous and must take a lot of effort and expense to maintain to this standard. Pool area is total relaxed bliss, loungers are comfy and at most maybe 3 other couples were there but everyone keeps their voices low so its still very tranquil. We did feel maybe someone could have come up from the kitchen every half hour and taken drinks orders as we were often going down to get an ice bucket and drinks ourselves. The gym is just above the pool and is great as you get a lovely view out, but is hidden from people at the pool seeing you. Treadmill is great- the cross trainer very awkward to use but I mastered it by going backwards and holding on to the main bar without moving my arms! Breakfast is a small but delicious buffet each morning sitting outside, fresh coffee made to order (gorgeous lattes) and fruits, cheese and meats, yogurts, pastries and rolls and delicious tomatoes in olive oil.

Only 2 gripes...

As some have also said here, taxis in the area very pricey. We ordered one, via reception to visit La Cantinetta di Rignana (you must, amazing view and food, especially the grilled mushrooms and truffle pasta). Our driver dropped us off and when we offered to settle, he seemed to follow us in and said he’d wait until we had eaten then drive us back. It wasn’t made clear if he was from the restaurant as when we were finished, without calling him (its in middle of nowhere) there he was again ready to take us straight back! We thought for a 10minute journey each way the most it could possibly come to is 30 Euros. So when he said 70- we asked 70 or 17 and he confirmed it was 70 Euros, we were just flabbergasted!! As we’d had such a lovely night and were happily tipsy we paid up (lucky we paid restaurant by card and even had this amount of money on us!). But the next morning I was fuming at this absolute rip off! Had I not been sleepy and tipsey, there is no way I would have given him this money and he clearly knew what he was doing in refusing to settle for the first trip(as we would have walked rather than use him to get back). I was also very frustrated reception didn’t confirm the price and warn us that the taxis they use are very very pricey. They booked it for us and clearly are aware of these charges, so we did feel let down by Villa Bordoni in not warning us off this, 70 Euros for a 20minute ride is beyond extortinate… so beware!! Either walk it or cycle, or better one of you being designated driver-do NOT use the taxis!!

Other issue, we booked to eat in the restaurant for our last night. I saw no vegetarian main course listed so asked the waiter what this could be. He came back from the kitchen and said there was nothing else but a simple- and cold- tomato and mozarellla salad they could offer me! This totally ruined out last evening as I felt given this was a cooking school not to have any ingredients even to make me a pasta dish was bizarre and my boyfriend was upset at seeing me with no main meal too. I also wonder why some restaurants still insist on forcing vegies to have to request a main course rather than automatically including it? However, the next morning David had been told and came up on 3 occasions to give me sincere apologies and an explanation, apparently the waiter got totally confused between me and the kitchen and got muddled with what vegetarian means and the dishes available. Had David served me he assured me he would have offered me a selection of suitable dishes and said local customers who regularly

are also vegetarian so they do of course cater well. I was still upset this ruined our last night (and felt a discount of our meal should have really been offered). However given the effort to explain and apologise, we happily look forward to staying- and hopefully eating- again next year and definitely recommend this relaxing haven in the hills!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jemimastar1
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We visited Villa Bordoni for 5 days during our honeymoon and we found it to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in! It has been beautifully restored and our room was gorgeous. We actually had the old chapel and it was really lovely as it felt a bit separate from the main hotel.Our room door was the old wooden one just to the left of the main entrance! The pool area was lovely - very peaceful when we were there and very relaxing. The cooking course was brilliant - we're still using the recipes we were taught although I've run out of the fabulous olive oil I purchased; still have a bottle of Villa Bordoni chianti tucked away for a special occasion though! It made a very good base for sightseeing with Florence and Pisa only short drives away but you definitely need a car.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I went to Villa Bordoni for my honeymoon 2 weeks ago. I have visited many hotel around Italy but this was by far the best. The food was exquisite, the gardens, swimming pool and bedroom were beautiful and what topped my stay off for me was the owners Catherine and David, being a lover of red wine it was great to chat to David about the local wine! It was so nice to stay somewhere where the owners were so hands on. I would recommend Villa Bordoni to anyone and look forward to returning next year.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

My wife and I.... spent the first 6 days of our honeymoon in VB and it was great!!! we had the Limonella (not sure if thats the correct spelling) which is at the bottom of the garden and separate from the main hotel. It has its own private enclosed patio with a retractable roof and outside bed. This was great as unfortunately at the time of our stay there were some annoying kids staying, so we could get away from them. A CAR IS A MUST, the gravel lanes are great and give you a proper Tuscan experience. But also there are only 3 taxi's in the village and they can be very expensive and there is nothing within walking distance.

The food was really nice at the hotel but a few times we dined at Ristorante Lamole which was gorgeous and better value.

Our best day by far was the wine tasting(our tip: you dont need the full lunch the platter is massive.)

Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed in Villa Bordoni for our first 3 nights in Tuscany and while we liked the authenticity of the tuscan estate setting. For such a small hotel, we felt that the staff should have been more attentive to individual needs. The rooms have DVD players but it probably would be a good idea to have DVD's on hand to loan out. The setting is beautiful and the rooms are decorated in a charming, elegant -meets country house sort of way. But the dirt road approaching VB is really absurd. It's too bad they can't pave that! We also had asked about places to eat in town (as the food at VB was good, but you didn't want to eat it for 9 consecutive meals) and David literally told us there was nowhere good in town to eat nor was there a pizzeria. However, when we ventured into Greve on our last nite, we literally discovered the BEST pizza at La Cantina in town. We just felt that the hotel could have been more forthcoming with directions and recommendations. Overall, the staff was pleasant, our Capella room was lovely and well-appointed, and the pool was great. Ricardo had a very calming demeanor and was very helpful at the front desk!