“wonderful place, wonderful views”
Review of Villa Bordoni

Villa Bordoni
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Greve in Chianti
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This place is excellent. The grounds, the rooms, the food, and the staff are all great. We stayed for my partner's birthday, and the only thing I wish I had done is book for longer!

From the moment we arrived, we were so well looked after - taken through to the garden, where we had some lunch and a glass of prosecco, then shown round and shown to our room. And then left to get on with our stay. But always with someone around if we needed - the perfect level of discretion from the staff.

Our dinner was wonderful, as was the service - attentive without being overwhelming. Great wine list, with local wines.

We had a small problem with the bathroom during our stay, which was resolved very quickly.

All in all, a great place - I'm looking forward to going back in the future, and have been recommending it to people since I got home!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clare2882

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have just returned from spending 4 days at the Villa Bordoni with my 17 year old daughter. We both absolutely loved our stay at the hotel and were so sad to leave. Why? Well the hotel itself is beautiful, with the quiet allure of an old, original 'Villa Nobile', painstakingly restored, aesthetically charming and on a functional level, very pampering. As you spend time there, you notice more and more of the beauty of the place. The handpainted wallpaper, the ancient tiled floors, the old windows with original shutters, the elegant parterre garden, with geometric box hedging design and an enchanting mix of recognisable plants (clumps of lavender scent your way into the house, roses abound) and some rather more exotic plants.

There's a great swimming pool too, and lovely grounds to walk in and explore. Terrible admission here - I didn't even poke my nose into their exercise area. So I can't report back on this aspect of the hotel's amenities. Well, after all that great food, what difference could it have made?

Sitting in the garden for breakfast or dinner is just heavenly. Not just the garden itself, but also the wonderful views of a typical Tuscan hillside with manicured vineyards and Cypress trees. You feel like you're in one of those movies, like Under The Tuscan Sun.

The food is outstanding. Breakfasts were heavenly, with home made jam, freshly baked bread and freshly squeezed orange juice, amongst a number of delights. Dinner is authentically Italian and cuisine of a very high order. And David produces the perfect wine for every occasion.

Which brings me to the staff. Every one of whom made our stay so pleasant. They are unbelievably helpful and thoughtful, yet discreet and low key. I lost my pearl earring down the sink on my first day there, and a plumber was summoned immediately to retrieve it, without a moments hesitation. Wonderful service. And lovely people.

Because of the atmosphere that David, Catherine, Ricardo and Farida etc create, it is incredibly friendly. Guests chat and get to know each other. It sometimes feels like a country house party. Yet it is friendly without ever feeling intrusive. You could Honeymoon here quite happily, and some people were doing just that. On the other hand there were families with kids too, and that seemed to work brilliantly too.

What else? Well, the cooking course was brilliant. The highly talented and amazingly patient Colin took us through an entire Italian meal, from Foccacia to Tiramisu. My daughter and I are planning to reproduce this Italian feast for our family. And honestly, the tuition was so good, we are feeling pretty confident that they will be wowed. (Hope so!) And it gave us a much better appreciation of Italian cuisine and the ingredients that go into making the cornerstone dishes, such as the classic Tomato pasta sauce.

Our bedroom was beautiful, full of lovely old antiques and an almost as lovely flat screen TV on which we sometimes watched a movie while recovering from a day's outing.There's a great stock of DVD's to borrow, including Under The Tuscan Sun!

Our bathroom achieved the brilliant combination of keeping the authentic old Italian look, with beautiful old tiles and an armoire sink, but also provided a massive shower room with all mod cons.

We also had a separate closet room for our clothes, which was verging on a walk in closet. So it all felt very luxurious.

The only improvement I could imagine for the hotel would be to put in better lighting in the bathroom and closet. And/or a make-up/shaving mirror in the bathroom. I know I'm going against the authentic Italian grain here, and all the current lighting is just so beautiful - chandelier and wall sconces - but it would be helpful for make-up and dressing.

This is just a tiny suggestion, as in general the hotel is already perfection, and should stay exactly as it is...awaiting my next visit, which I hope will be very soon. I'm already dreaming of sitting out on the terrace with a glass of Prosecco, looking out at the Tuscan hills with crickets chirruping in the background. Heaven!

Room Tip: We were in Montefile. It was great. The garden room looked fun, with it's own private terrace. M...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Lizhammond2707
Bespoke216, General Manager at Villa Bordoni, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Lizhammond2707,
thank you for taking the time to offer what is, possibly, the most extensive review of our hotel and its services ever offered on this website! We are grateful for your very kind words, and we will carefully address your suggestions over the coming months.
On a personal note, it was an immense pleasure to have you and your daughter with us - you were perfect guests, and we very much look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the Villa with our two adult children and had a fantastic time. Everything was perfect: the rooms, the people, the food, the garden....The rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable. The views are pulled from a picture book and the food...is heavenly! We will definitely go back to this delightful place!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having stayed at Villa Bordoni for only a few nights I am kicking myself that I hadn't booked for longer. The hotel and it's surroundings are the ideal spot to escape from it all. I idled away hours by the pool, relaxing in the various sun spots and meandering round the beautifully kept gardens. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the owners display a very hands-on approach to running their idyllic hotel. My room had several unforgettable features such as the beautiful roll-top bath standing at the foot of my bed, the enormous walk-in shower and the breathtaking views from each of the windows. I will definitely be booking a longer stay next time...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Truly a wonderful place. The staff at Villa Bordoni are friendly, professional and willing to help with any request. The kitchen is world class and the rooms are as comfortable as any 5 star hotel. If you are looking for the best of Tuscany and truly a special experience in countryside of Chianti, this is your place!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Villa Bordoni for a wedding in Greve in 2010 and were so sad to leave after just two days. This time we decided to do it properly and stayed for a week. Everything was just as we remembered it and we enjoyed every minute of it. Pure relaxation in the most wonderful surroundings with delicious food and lovely, friendly and attentive service. We stayed in the Montefioralle room which is absolutely grogeous and has spectacular views. Will be returning regularly without a doubt.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie C
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We just enjoyed our 2nd stay at Villa Bordoni. The location, ambiance and services heighten the Tuscan experience. The proprietors and staff exude grace and professionalism making one's stay very personal. And the cooking class on property should not be missed. We shall return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
11 mi away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
12 mi away
Villa Cora
Villa Cora
#6 of 410 in Florence

Been to Villa Bordoni? Share your experiences!