All reviewscooking classoutdoor gymour honeymoonfamily suitecooking schoolboutique hoteldirt roadthree nightstuscan countrysidegarden roomvery special placeitaly triptiramisuwine listevery morningpastacooking course
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Villa Bordoni is a wonderful place!! The location above Greve in Chianti amid vineyards and olive groves is so peaceful. I loved driving up the bumpy road through the vineyards to reach the hotel. The staff was wonderful. My wife and I loved seeing Farida's smiling face when we would come back from our most recent adventure. The restaurant is fabulous. Breakfast is beautiful looking out over the garden. The rooms are very large and nicely decorated. I cannot say enough good things about Villa Bordoni.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Wow!!! Villa Bordoni is one of the most incredible traveling experiences I have ever had. My partner and I stayed two nights in the middle of our two week Italian vacation and it was a much needed restful stop on a very regimented tour.

The estate is on a hilltop overlooking Greve and the Chianti countryside. Spectacular views are everywhere. It is a very quiet peacefull location with beautifull gardens with lounge chairs to relax and read a book or take a nap. The pool is beautiful, but too cold in October for this Florida boy.

We reserved the junior suite with the loft and an amazing six head rain shower. The room was large and the bed very comfortable. The rooms are all updated, but the design still keeps that old farmhouse charm. Very tasteful and comfortable.

There is no need to leave the property for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You are not going to find a better menu or better value in Greve. A delicious breakfast is provided every morning with excellent and friendly service outside on the patio overlooking the countryside. We did lunch on the patio both days and ordered from the refreshing and delicious lunch menu.

Dinner at the restaurant needs it's own reveiw. It is an amazing experience. David and Nicholas provided excellent service. Chef Colin and his staff of super-talented sous chefs provided an incredible culinary experience. Though we never met the kitchen staff the open kitchen allowed us to see the hardwork and dedication throughout the day that goes into providing a flawless meal. we thank you.

We attended the cooking course when we first arrived and it was an experience of a lifetime. At first i was on the fence about attending the cooking class because i wasn't sure if it would be for me. I am so glad i did and i would go as far as to say that it is a must if you are staying at Villa Bordoni. Chef Colin is a genius and and artist. It was pleasure and a privilege to attend his class and he plans menus that we are able to make back home and we will. The cooking class also allowed us to meet and make friends with other guests at the hotel. We all ended up eating together that night what we prepared that day. We met friends that we will surely stay in contact with. Beware, the wine (very good wine) flows generously during the class and afterwards thru dinner. Take it from me...pace yourself : )

The owners Katherine and David were most gracious and welcoming. We also had lunch and dinner at thier restaurant in Florence, Baldovino.

Farida and Ricardo were very accommodating and helpful at the front desk. Farida was able to help me with transfers from Florence (Antonio is the best driver) and she provided us with mountain bikes for exploring and gave us great suggestions for sight seeing by bike (she even helped me put air in the tires : )

I can go on forever, but see for yourself. Villa Bordoni is an experience to remember in an enchanting setting. Thanks to the entire staff for a wonderful stay. RE

1  Thank robe888
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have recently returned from our 2nd visit (2 years running) to this enchanting place. It sits a good way up a dusty road, so it is peaceful, away from the traffic and crowds, amid olive groves, woodland and vineyards. It is beautifully run by the charming (scottish) owners, and has a homely, relaxed feel. The staff are equally excellent, giving us a welcome this year as of long lost friends. The food is fantastic..relaxed breakfast on the terrace, lunch if you want it, and memorable dinners. You will be carefully guided through an array of local and not so local wines.
One can happily pass the whole day reading in the gardens, swimming etc, or go on trips to the wonders that are nearby (45 minutes to be parked up in Florence). Do not expect anything flashy, it is simply perfect of its (very rare) type.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at Villa Bordoni for 4 nights on our honeymoon. The Villa itself is beautiful, very peaceful, and has gorgeous views. It was a great location as we were able to travel to Siena for a day and Florence on another day during our stay. The Villa has beautiful gardens to sit out during breakfast or enjoy a glass of wine. We also highly recommend the cooking class at the Villa. The owner, David, teaches the class, giving history of the Villa, sharing insights on the local food, wine, and culture. The restaurant is phenomenal as well - would certainly recommend even if not staying at the Villa. Service is impeccable - overall our favorite hotel on our 2 week trip!

1  Thank Megan B
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you're more of a 5 star hotel type person, it's possible that Bordoni will not overly impress you at first glance. But, if you're like me, then you'll stay and give this place a chance, and boy am I glad that I did. It is not easy to find, so, like others' who have reviewed the place have said, the best option is to plug in Greve in Chianti into your GPS and then follow signs to Bordoni that are very clearly displayed at every turn once you're in Greve. The staff at the hotel are excellent and are always there to answer questions - Zaman who works at b'fast was one of two individual who stood out during the 3 days we were there. Others' have mentioned Hugo and he too was a joy to be around in the evenings. For me though, other than Zaman I found Farida at the front to be the other individual who did a tremendous job during our stay. She gave us tremendous restaurant recommendations, gave us great wine tasting ideas and also gave us solid suggestions on what else to do when in Tuscany.

The room itself is nothing fancy and because there is a slight mosquito issue in the area, you can smell the Raid plug-in when you first walk to your room. It took me a few hours to finally figure out what the smell was. Also, if you're in a room with people above you, you will hear footsteps and the floor will creak .

The daily breakfast was excellent and the setting itself is simply spectacular. Oh to be up at 7am with a coffee and the glistening sun in your face with views of the valley was such a treat every single morning. We ate at their restaurant two nights and this is where I am knocking down 1 star. Honestly, at the end of our first evening meal there, I was already prepared to give this place 3 stars, but, we came back the next night and at that point I felt the place sort of redeemed itself.

On day two a group of approx 20 Norwegians checked into the place and basically "took it over". Dinner that first evening was a bust simply because the staff were overwhelmed with the sheer number of them at one table. Service for the 3 other couples eating that evening was best described as terrible. Our wine glasses and bottles remained empty for 90% of the meal and never once did any of the wait staff check in to see how things were going. The other issue with the large group was that they would be up till 1am + and we could hear them returning to their room in the evenings, or talking outside of ours when they'd come back at night - this did also have an impact on my overall rating of Bordoni.

On night two, the meal itself was better and because we did the cooking class with Chef Colin, we ate the meal we had prepped in the afternoon and that was the turning point for me to go from 3 to 4 stars. Overall I would highly recommend this place because the experience is unique, but, I would suggest doing some research on other places to eat in the area as their restaurant itself isn't top notch. The food is average and for the price I believe you can find better options in the area.