All reviewscooking classoutdoor gymour honeymooncooking schoolfamily suiteboutique hoteldirt roadthree nightstuscan countrysideitaly tripvery special placetiramisuwine listevery morningpastacooking courseoff the beaten path
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Character hotel with big rooms and views of the valley. Excellent service and friendly owners. Huge wine selection. A real get away with access to all of Chianti. Road up to hotel a bit of a challenge but okay for once a day. Good food although main course choices were limited, perhaps due to off season. Everyone very helpful and all speak good English. Hugo the maitre' d very helpful and informative about Chianti wines and David Gardner very helpful in recommending car itineraries, wineries etc. A do again. Would be heaven in summer with pool and views.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank canuck22SanFrancisco
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Villa Bordoni is everything you'd want from a rural Tuscan holiday - beautiful scenery and surroundings, but it doesn't take long to get to places. We were there in November, just before the hotel closes for it's late autumn break before reopening before Christmas, but you would not have thought so, as there was no 'winding down', with the food and service consistently excellent.
The rooms are beautifully designed, and the service was extremely friendly and efficient without being 'over the top'.
Tuscany in November was a lovely surprise - the weather was beautiful, which we weren't expecting, and which we understand is not usual either, but being low season, quite a number of places, including restaurants, museums etc. were closed. It didn't matter, but in bad weather, you may need to plan your days a little more.

Room Tip: We were in Colognole, but the hotel is beautiful so I doubt if we would have been disappointed in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Italy (Rome, Tuscany and Florence) and Villa Bordoni was by far our favorite hotel of the trip. After three nights in Rome (which we also loved), the peace and serenity of Villa Bordoni was a welcome respite. Yes, you do have to take a dirt road up the hill to get there, but as others have said, that is all part of the adventure and the charm. From the instant we arrived, the staff were so welcoming and helpful (and all speak English). Our first day we took the cooking class with David and Loretta - highly recommend as we learned a lot and had a lot of fun with the other couples who were part of the class (only criticism is that the class two nights later got to make tiramisu which thankfully Hugo let us have that night at dinner!) Which leads me to the food and the restaurant - probably our favorite meals besides a few dinners in Rome of the whole trip - a truly gourmet experience (my husband swears he had the best steak of his life!) We ate dinner there every night as after a day of touring, you really just want to come back to Villa Bordoni! The roads in the region are definitely an adventure and not for those who are prone to carsickness, but we were able to spend day trips going to Siena, San Gigimiano and Lucca pretty easily. And after a day exploring, it was great to come back to our cozy, well appointed room (we had the Rignana room on the top floor) with every comfort you could want - including a heated towel rack. Thanks again David and Catherine for a lovely stay - it was great to meet you both and we hope to return some time in the spring or summer so we can enjoy the pool and sunshine! (p.s. apparently the word is out thanks to Tripadvisor as the majority of guests at the hotel were fellow Americans :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JLSabs
Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is one of the most atmospheric places to stay above Greve in Chianti. The villa is handy to the Saturday market down in the main square, and very close to the wonderful perched medieval village of Montefiorale. I can't recommend it highly enough, as many other reviewers have already done. In fact this was my second visit, the first being in September 2008, when the weather was atually less favorable than this October. With a warm fire in the common area and the excellent restaurant that owners Daivd and Catherine have put together, bad weather is not a detriment, but rather a good excuse to stay put and enjoy all that this villa has to offer. They will also ship your wine home, as they did the case of Querciabella Batar we purchased during a visit to the Qerciabella winery a few kilometers south of town. All the rooms I saw looked heavenly, each different from the other. Sheer bliss.

Room Tip: They're all lovely. See webiste, as they vary appreciably in size and decor. I have stayed in the Verazzano and Montefili rooms. Both were suitable for solo or couples travel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gariemTexas
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have thought long and hard, and I just can not come up with the best adjectives to describe our stay at Villa Bordoni !!! I want to go again…. NOW! Being the passenger in the car, I got to enjoy the amazing views of the hills and vineyards. I loved it the moment I got out of the car; it was quiet, and clean. I felt right at home, and was happy to have four days ahead of us. THEN I saw our room, “The Montefili”…..the attention to detail made it so warm and welcoming. The bathroom was beautiful, and that shower (which is larger than my work cubical) has spoiled me for all other showers!!

There is a restaurant too, the food is excellent! There is a nice breakfast buffet in the morning, and we would eat outside, a great way to start the day! The owners, Catherine and David are around and are friendly and interesting to talk to. Ricardo at the front desk, was so helpful and arraigned wine tastings for us!! Two of our favorites, Hugo and Nicolo who work at the bar and restaurant, well I can not say enough about them!

We highly recommend Villa Bordoni!! If you are in Greve, even for a short time, it is worth the ride, go for a wonderful dinner!

If you are in Florence, I would HIGHLY recommend trying their wine bar, Botte, if is very close to Santa Croce. You can sample many wines, the prices vary from what you choose, and the amount you choose. Tomaso, one of the employees, was very knowledgeable, and a great character!! I wanted to ask for a job application!! If you are at the wine bar, turn the corner and go to the other restaurant Catherine and David own Baldovino. http://www.baldovino.com/

The staff here is also excellent and the food great! They had seen we purchased wine at Botte, and asked if we would like some with our dinner, we of course said YES…..(as if that would ever happy in Boston!!!)

Laura and Donald from Halifax, MA