“Do not miss this.”

Villa Romana del Casale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This 3rd-century Roman villa features more than 40 beautiful mosaic floors, making it one of the most cherished open-air museums in the region.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

The mosaics in this villa are unbelievable. We have seen great mosaics in Tunisia and in Ravenna, but these are by far the best we have ever seen. The explanations provided (in English) are extensive and well done. We spent an easy 3 hours here, and enjoyed every second of it. Because we were there so long, we got pictures of the exterior rooms with the sun from both directions.

3  Thank nonamect
Write a ReviewReviews (4,031)
All reviews
"great hunt"
in 23 reviews
"tour buses"
in 22 reviews
"a unesco world heritage site"
in 15 reviews
"under cover"
"villa romana"
in 49 reviews
"an absolute"
"on site"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2014

Having seen more than my fair share of mosaics, I went to Piazza Armerina a little blasé. But I was totally blown away by the skill of the craftsmen, the enormity of the project, the stories told by the mosaics themselves and so much more.
Even now, several weeks later I am still bowled over by the enormity of the VIlla. It truly is fascinating and has the 'Wow' factor. I can't enthuse enough. Just get yourself there!!

1  Thank John P
Reviewed December 4, 2014

Were there yesterday with a group of six people. Beginning of December is clearly low season for the Villa. The "Pizza" we had in the Bar was the worst we ever ate in Italy. Entrance fee of €10/person (NON negotiable even when one is the only visitor) combined with an absolute ban on taking photos made the decision easy to leave without entering the Villa. Shame on inflexible and unfriendly officials.

4  Thank Marcel und Hele... S
Reviewed December 4, 2014

I'm used to seeing Roman mosaics of only a few square meters, most of which is either restored or filled in with cement. Del Casale was way beyond expectations: a vast area, a great range of subjects and styles, and more than 90% complete.
The information provided in English is excellent, and visitor access is well constructed.