“Cheap and Cheerful”

Suite d'Autore
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Piazza Armerina
“Cheap and Cheerful”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Suite d'Autore is wonderfully located facing onto the main Piazza of Piazza Armerina although the entry is around the corner. We had the "traditional" room on the piano nobile (one floor above ground floor), nicely proportioned with high ceilings. The room isn't "grand", but is simply supplied with traditional furniture rather than the more eccentric furniture found in the other rooms such as "Fluid" and "Magic/Mystery".

On the whole the room was very quiet, especially for a room facing a large square, but if you want complete silence then you may want to ensure there are no festivals taking place in the square. We had a talent show entertain us the first night we were there, which was fine, almost like a welcoming party! It piped down about midnight, which was reasonable to us.

The room was tidy and clean, although the bed linens seemed very worn-out, and despite certainly being clean, didn't necessarily look clean. I think new linens are in order, they look like they are ten years old - at least. Next time, simple white linens would give greater assurance to the cleanliness of such things.

The bed was incredibly hard. It felt like a sheet of plywood put on top of a mattress. I sleep on a relatively hard mattress at home, so I was somewhat used to it, but after two nights it was just too hard for me and I didn't sleep well my last night there. Again, a bit of investment into medium firmness mattresses is probably in order.

The bathroom was fine. Clean, everything fit and fixed well. Lighting was slightly inadequate (no window either), but the tub was nice and big and the shower worked well. In general, I found the lighting in the room frustrating at night. There are many fixtures, but all supplied with low-watt 'eco' bulbs which give a good impression of light until you actually start to read and realize they are not enough.

The decor was fine, paint on walls was tidy and clean. Floor was clean (tiles) and the security on the door (locks) was convincing enough. To me, the room gave me the impression of staying in Grandmothers spare room...for better or worse.

The breakfast is quite good for a hotel this size. It's on the top floor (reached via an elevator) and offers wonderful near-360 degree views over Piazza Armerina with nice large windows and french-windows opening onto the main square and elsewhere. Simple offerings, pastries, fruits, fresh juices, some meats and cheeses, and very good coffee made to order.

The service is a small team, a single family it seemed to me, but they were cheerful and helpful and seemed genuinely concerned that we had a pleasant stay.

Would I return? If in Piazza Armerina again, yes, I would go back. It's a great location, good service, and very good value.

Drawbacks: only one really. Parking space is advertised, and technically available, but it is very very difficult to get even a small compact car perpendicular enough to get into the courtyard because of the narrowness of the arch and the street. I tried one day, during daylight, and I'm quite handy with cars, and I couldn't do it without really risking damage to the rental car (Fiat Punto), so I stopped and backed out. It was then recommended I park (free, unlimited) in front of a little chapel adjacent to the main square. This was fine, but did make me feel like I wasn't getting full value - but wasn't too inconvenient.

I did see one person get through the arch, a local (judging from the age of the car), and it required about a 5-point rotation of the car within the street and going in backwards! - which I had actually reasoned was just about the only way. So it's not easy, and I wouldn't count on it.

But it's a good place to stay. I recommend it, but it's not "luxury", nor does it claim to be. Simple, economic, clean, efficient, and well located.

Room Tip: Ask if there are festivals scheduled for the main piazza, if so, you may want a room towards the rea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Officium

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have just got back from Sicily and I have to say that Suite d' Autore simply made my holiday! The place itself is very elegant and cosy, and I truly enjoyed the stylish furniture of our room. The staff was very welcoming, sweet and helpful in anything we needed. This made our staying very relaxing.
In a word: Fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 841Alex
Bishops Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a really neat place to stay, we had great views, the room was comfortable, clean, good sized bed, interesting art. Breakfast was good, staff friendly. We got there early, no staff, bar opposite Duomo OK. Very handy for Villa Romana del Casale, big thanks to other guests that gave us a lift! Internet computer in the breakfast area/bar. Felt very safe and happy.

Room Tip: book rooms overlooking Duomo
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greysurf
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Where do I start? After parking in the piazza, almost on the steps of the Duomo, we were offered a choice of room, as they are all individually themed, filled with individual designer furtniture and art (which is all for sale). We chose the room I had already picked from the photos - with a huge round bed, dali-red-lips sofa, and wardrobe doors which had been painted by an up-and-coming Italian artist. There were more individual artworks around the room, but the most fantastic design work (for me anyway) was the floor around the bed, which has been laid with thin blue gel-filled tiles. I had endless fun jumping around the bed just to see the gel move and leave imprints of my feet :o)

The bathroom was large and had a wonderful bath (a rarity it seems in Sicily), robes, nice toiletries, etc.

The room had the most increadible view facing the piazza and the Duoma itself. We sat in our room and watched the pale stone turn orange with the evening sun, and then pink the following morning. Truly magical.

Breakfast was on the top floor of the hotel, overlooking the roofs of the town, and was more than plentiful, though still only continental.

Room Tip: The two rooms facing the Duomo are the one with the round bed, and the one with the comic-theme
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travelling_cat72
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is all about style - but our round bed was very comfortable and we could look out at the cathedral from it! The staff were very pleasant and helpful - when we arrived there were two rooms available so they offered to show us both and let us choose. However on the minus side, the bathroom could definitely do with a bit of up-dating - it's distinctly tatty. We also missed having a room safe and felt that the air-con was a bit lacklustre.
Important tip - do not put Via Monte in your SatNav - although it will take you there - leaving is rather hair-raising as you're then in a one-way system built for donkeys and carts! Park in the square just before for free and save yourself a hair-raising experience (Tom-Tom's to be taken with a pinch of salt - our brand new one must have thought we were on donkeys).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just returned from the beautiful Sicily. The highlight of the tour was Piazza Armerina.
We stayed for 4 nights at Suite d Autore in central Piazza Armerina. First the hotel
is very clean and has the most wonderful views of traditional Sicily. Our room faced the
main piazza. The hotel staff were kind and truly honest. The owner of this hotel also owned
a local tour guide company so you basically killed the two birds with one stone. Secondly and
most important to me was breakfast. His mother freshly baked authentic Sicily cakes and
biscuits for your belly. A must stay if you want to see the real Sicily.
David Clarke
Manchester

Room Tip: Room facing the piazza
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank david c
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed three nights in early June 2012 and found the whole experience a delight. Located in the heart of Piazza Armerina, we walked everywhere and returned home to a sea of tranquility and peace. This is a beautiful hotel. The staff are amazing. They are so friendly, and helpful. They offer to do everything for you. The rooms are beautifully done, to a very high standard and have all mod-cons! We will always come back to this incredible Hotel whenever in Sicilly!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple