“Wonderful B & B in a beautiful location with perfect hosts.”
Review of Flavor of Italy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Riano
Flavor of Italy
Ranked #2 of 2 Riano B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Our family of four loved our stay at this beautiful B and B. Wendy prepared delicious gourmet breakfasts for us so that we had a perfect start to our sight seeing days in Rome. We did not have a car so we were kindly taken to the train station for a quick trip into the heart of Rome. Wendy helped us with suggestions for planning our days in Rome so that we could see the sights and enjoy our touring. After a busy day, we loved returning to the country setting of this picturesque home in the hills out-skirting Rome. We ate our evening meals at delicious restaurants near the B and B. Wendy and her husband Mo could not have been more helpful, friendly, and warm towards us all, and we highly recommend this B and B.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Alli99

Reviewed February 2, 2010

My husband and I went back and forth on where to stay in Rome. A close friend of his is Italian and visits his family in Italy yearly. He highly recommended that we stay in Rome so that the city would be on our doorstep. I, on the other hand, wanted that "Under the Tuscan Sun" experience. Therefore, I wanted to stay in the countryside. I won and boy was my husband happy. Rome was unseasonably hot last May. We were melting. I do not know how the Italians dress in suits and scarves in that heat. Many of the hotels and bed and breakfasts that we considered in the city did not have air conditioning and having been in places in the city that did have air conditioning it was not an Americans idea of cold. Arriving back to Flavor of Italy after a day in the Roman sun was glorious. We would no sooner be back at our room and in our suits and into the pool. Riano was a good ten degrees cooler than the city and having the pool was glorious. The nights were peaceful and comfortable. I still would have enjoyed having a/c in our room but only because I am always hot and I love the white noise from the a/c helps me to sleep.

Wendy and Mo were wonderful hosts. They drove us to the Metro and picked us up rather promptly. The cell phone was useless when we were there but we were wise enough to take our iphone and pay the international rates. I could not have survived without it. I used applications to convert currency and to translate.

Dinners in Riano were incredible. Mo was usually the one that drove us to dinner. He is incredibly sweet and was a wealth of information. We do not speak Italian and many of the restaurants that we went to did not have anyone that spoke English so Mo would stay and translate for us so that we could order before he left. If there was a problem in translation after he left there was usually someone that overheard the struggle in translation that was able to help us out or we would use the iphone or call Wendy. The food in Riano was divine. We did not want to eat Americanized Italian in the city of Rome. We went to Italy to experience the culture. We expected that things would be very different from home. Some things we already knew from reading travel books and sites. Other things we knew from speaking with friends who had visited Italy or by talking to Wendy. I had several conversations with her on Skype before we booked out trip there. I asked her things like how long does it take to get to the Metro and once to the Metro how long does it take to get to the city? What do you serve for breakfast? I am prediabetic so I needed proteins with my breakfast and Wendy arranged that. Our breakfast was incredible. We had italian meats and cheeses and fresh fruit and homemade jams and lemon curd with fresh baked muffins or scones and toasts. As well as strong fresh coffe and juices and yogurt and granola. Breakfast was hardy enough to hold us thru most days until dinner. We did snack in Rome on Gelato and pizza but we tried to save our appetites for those long leisurely dinners that I so miss. Our favorite place was Ristorante Il Casaletto. They have an English speaking waitress named Carlotta. She was incredibly sweet and helpful. We returned there many times. I loved the deep fried zucchini flowers, the lamb and the steak there as well as the homemade pastas with incredble sauces. Desserts were great too. You have to try the Panna Cotta and the Sbribliotta. I do not remember how to spell the last one but it was by far my favorite.

We were also there for a whiskey tasting in which there was a large crowd of Wendy's friends. Everyone was so gracious to us. Wendy and Mo made homemade pizza in the wood fired oven outside. You should have to pleasure of seeing the two of them work together. They were like a well oiled machine. Wendy just glowed. You could see she was so in her element. The pizza was incredible. I have been begging my husband to make the woodfired oven his summer project for next year.

Our room was kept clean and well stocked with everything we needed but I also took a lot of my own things because I am particular about my soaps and such. We did have Dove soap in our bathroom though. We received fresh towels when we asked for them and toilet paper was always restocked. The pool was relatively clean. It is the countryside. You would need a poolboy to keep it immaculate at all times. MMmm an Italian pool boy............sorry, my mind wandered a little bit.

After we visited Rome we left for Positano for several days. Our plan was to return one night to Flavor of Italy and catch the plane the next morning from Rome. However, while we loved Positano our room there was horribly uncomfortable. The city was hot and the walking was more than I could physically bear. Positano is on a hillside and there are hundreds of steps. There is a public bus but we wanted to see everything by foot so I could see, touch and smell everything, so we walked. The worst part was coming back to an uncomfortable room and no privacy outside. But the thing we missed the most was relaxing in the pool and the company at Flavor of Italy. My husband who is usually the one to say suck it up agreed that neither one of us were happy there and maybe we should call Wendy back and see if we could return to Flavor of Italy. We called and Wendy felt so bad that we were not having an enjoyable experience in Positano that she offered to call a friend that had a beach house there and make arrangement for us to move there. However, we did not want to go into the ocean. The beaches were rocky and the water was dirty with seaweed and foam. But worst of all there were jellyfish everywhere. We went to Positano to enjoy the beach but it was not what we bargained for. Wendy agreed to let us come back to Flavor of Italy. We know that it was an inconvenience to her because we knew that she had other commitments those day but she graciously allowed us to come back and we worked around her schedule and we could not have been happier.

And how could I forget. I somehow managed to get sunburned. I have been to Hawaii which is closer to the equator and did not get burned. Anyway, Wendy took me into town and into her pharmacy where the pharmicist laughed at the silly American but kindly prepared a prescription creme for me. I would have preferred to have aloe but when in Rome.....

We hope to return to Flavor of Italy in the future. I would love to cook with Wendy and do some of the food tours. We met some very nice people there and I do not believe that we would have received the same treatment in Rome. I have no regrets and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank furrykidmom2
Reviewed October 31, 2009

It's a beautiful place to stay, the house is perfect!
The family styled restaurants in Riano are amazing. Definitely go to Ristorante... will become your family in an instance.
The distance is not as stated, you have to take the train/metro to get there it takes 40 MINS! This particular train's last ride is at 10PM so you can't really enjoy the nightlife in Rome.
One downside is that it is a HOME, there are specific rules that the homeowner would like you to follow which aren't the best for a vacation.
Though I enjoyed this bed and breakfast I wouldn't recommend it to other people.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank wrinkadink
flavorofitaly, Owner at Flavor of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

We encourage guests to look at the Location page on our website prior to booking. Flavor of Italy is close to Rome’s historic center (St. Peter's Dome is visible from our property), yet is located in a gorgeous country setting. For young people looking for an active night life, our bed and breakfast may not be the right accommodation choice. The 22 minute commuter train runs every 10 minutes, from 6 am until 10:50 pm and we accompany our guests to and from the station (a 5 to 10 minute drive, depending on traffic). This allows guests to have dinner in Rome’s city center and then catch a train back to Flavor of Italy. The commuter train schedule and travel times, are independently verifiable on the city of Rome’s public transportation website, Metroroma.

Reviewed October 28, 2009

You could not ask for better people to be around and could not do enough for us. Wendy and Mo were gracious and very accomadating any you asked we got.The breakfast was more then enough, very clean including the pool.The room was big and clean and anything else you needed like soap, toilet paper or extra towells weny was right there.We had happy hour every night outside with Wendy and Mo and other guests a nice surprise. My wife and i were married 40 years so i booked this B&B and i could not have spent it with better people like Wendy and Mo.I would go back again and would recomend anybodyelse do do thje same.
Now as far as the review that dissapointed wrote we were there at the same time so i do not know what he was talking about. None of what he was talking about is true, so do not believe a word he says. Try do little homework before go to italy so you know you do eat late over there. So all in all a GREAT PLACE TO STAY

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ngraber1947
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We arrived after 17 hours of travel and were greeted by Wendy we were very tierd so told Wendy we would have a nap and be up for dinner. We woke around 5:30pm and went up stairs for Happy Hour at 6:00pm. Only no one was home the lights were out and the doors were locked. We kept checking about every half hour as we were hungry having not eaten since about 11:00am (as it's in the country you can't just walk to a resturant or store and you have no phone to call a taxi) around 7:30pm Wendy returned when we asked her what had happened to happy hour she said she thought we would still be sleeping(there was no happy hour any of the six nights we were there). As for dinner Wendy said that they eat late in Italy and most resturants don't open till around 8:00pm (would have been nice to have this information). And that is pretty much how the rest of the week went.
There was no happy hour, we didn't get a cell phone till our third day(we had to find pay phones when we were ready to take the train back for pick-up),the only computer was the daughters school computer (with a french keyboard) I don't know what you would do for a computer when the daughter takes her's back to school. The T.V. was very small (the size of an old portable T.V.) as for the video library we never saw one ( we did get some DVD's from Wendy when we asked) and only the one room we stayed in had a DVD player ( we stayed in two rooms). My daughter and I were going to us the pool one hot afternoon after returning from Rome but the pool was dirty(and there was a lot of big black dead bugs floating in the pool).
It turns out that breakfast does not come with all the rooms. Even though on the web site it states "Wendy prepares mouthwatering breakfast daily and optional dinners"(Wendy did say she would do breakfast for us at 10 Euro's per person that would have been 40 Euro's for us). We had the two bedroom apartment with kitchen and laundry(the dryer was not working it was fixed two days before we left) and it was only one bedroom as the the other bed was in the livingroom.
We spent our first day a Sunday touring Rome. When Wendy picked us up at the train station we asked to be taken to a supermarket to pickup some food supplies she than informed us that supermarkets are not open on Sundays(Would have been nice to have that info. as we now had no food for another breakfast). On the two days that we left the 92 year old at the B&B Wendy did check up on her to make sure she was doing O.K. Wendy was very friendly as was her daughter and husband but we found her to be very disorganized.
On our second to last night we had to move to a smaller room which we knew when we booked. Check out time was stated on the information sheet as 1:00pm. So you can imagine our surprize when Wendy knocked on our door at 10:00am and asked if we were ready to move to the other room. My daugher was still sleeping and we were eating breakfast.. Wendy sent her cleaning lady in to start moving our stuff and she started cleaning around us as we were moving our stuff out(some of us were still in our P.J's). We could have been ready to move over earlier if Wendy had informed us that she need us out earlier.
We had no soap in the room and we asked a number of times and more than one person but we never did get any soap so we had to make do with the shampoo that we had (toliet paper was also in short supply).
If we were to go back we would stay in Rome. I would say pay the little extra and stay in the center of Rome where you can walk any where you want to go. Unless you are staying for a long stay and you have the extra time to waste on the drive to the train and the train ride because if it's busy it takes up to an hour to get to Piazza Del Popolo and a good half hour at the end of the day to return. So we figured that we could have had another six to eight hours to explore Rome.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank dmpeet
flavorofitaly, Owner at Flavor of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2009

Flavor of Italy is a small, family owned and operated establishment that prides itself on top customer service and maintaining a beautiful facility. We feel that the guest’s review does not accurately reflect our establishment and would like to address their comments.
• The guests were displeased that they weren’t told that Italian restaurants open at 8 pm and that grocery stores are closed Sunday afternoons. While I regret that the guests were unhappy with these aspects of Italian culture it is not the responsibility of proprietors to prepare guests on the habits and customs of the countries they choose to visit. We do, however, communicate extensively with guests prior to arrival both by email and phone and attempt to address all guest concerns prior to arrival. These guests were no exception.
• The guests commented that there were no happy hours during the length of their stay at Flavor of Italy. Complimentary happy hour is offered every day at 6 pm when guests are in the facility and wish to participate. During the week that the guest who posted this review stayed with us we had many other guests, all who enjoyed happy hour from 6 pm, frequently up to as late as 10 pm. With the exception of the first evening the guests posting the review were never at our facility during happy hour and usually returned late at night; one of their family members, however, did remain at our facility and joined us for happy hour. As for the first night, the guests had indicated they wished to sleep until dinner and all of our other guests were out.
• The guests commented that the only computer available for their use was our daughter’s French keyboard laptop computer. Internet service is available on a computer in a common area for all guests to use. Unlike at many other facilities, Internet use is unlimited and free of charge. As these guests wanted to use a computer in their room my daughter offered them the use of her personal laptop.
• The guests stated that they were unable to swim as the pool was dirty. The pool is always kept immaculately clean, summer and winter. It is an outdoor, uncovered pool and as such there are inevitably a few leaves and / or bugs that blow or fly into the pool. Floating particles are continually removed by the filtering system.
• The guests remarked that their two bedroom apartment was only one bedroom. The two bedroom self-catering apartment is visible in our website’s virtual tour. It is extremely spacious and well-equipped. Beds are visible (one queen and a single are clearly visible as part of the common area) and there are enough beds to accommodate eight people comfortably.
• The guests mentioned that the dryer was not working and was fixed two days before their departure. Laundry facilities are available and include a large Maytag washer and dryer, quite uncommon for Italy as generally laundry facilities do not include a dryer and washers are small. The dryer was not working well the day the customers arrived, but was repaired the following day.
• The customers commented on the fact that they had to vacate their room at 10 am (rather than 1pm) on the day of a room change. Perhaps the customers misread the sign which clearly states that check-out time is 10 am and check-in time is 1 pm.
• The guests remarked that they had no soap in the bathroom and that toilet paper was in short supply. Soap and toilet paper are always abundantly available in the rooms and once rooms are cleaned I personally inspect each room to make sure it’s in perfect condition. The customers were in a self-catering apartment all but two nights. Self-catering apartment rentals do not include any household supplies or food. Nor do they include breakfasts which are offered with the bed and breakfast option.
• The customers mentioned the absence of a video library and the size of the television. We do make a small television available in the self-catering apartment. Nowhere in our correspondence or on our website do we say that we supply a video or DVD library. Upon request, as occurred in this case, we supply customers with DVDs.
• On a final note, the guests commented that they would have had an additional 6 to 8 hours to tour Rome over the course of their weeklong visit had they stayed in the city center. In fact as we state on our website and in our correspondence to upcoming guests it does take about 30 minutes door to door to get to Rome’s historic center. It is true that we are not in the city center but we believe that when guests choose to stay with us they do so because of the other special amenities and services that we have to offer: spacious comfortable accommodation in the rolling hills of north Rome with attentive and personalized customer service.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

My husband and I (along with our 11 month old daughter) took a cooking class with Wendy in August in her home, we had such a wonderful time! We were staying in Rome, so jumped on the Metro and met her at the Cipro station. From there she took us to a wonderful cheese and prosciutto shop where we sampled a few of the local delicacies, and we even bought some to take home with us. Then it was off to a local market where we bought a few things to add to our menu. After the market, she took us back to her home where we cooked amazing dishes from stuffed zucchini flowers to homemade potato gnocchi. We even had time to take a dip in her pool to cool off from the summer heat. Wendy and Mo were so accommodating and offered to help us design our itinerary during our visit to Italy. They even helped make dinner reservations when we got back to Rome. It was such a great day, and we tell everyone that it was the highlight of our 10 day trip to Italy. If it weren't for our non-refundable hotel requirement, we would've easily cancelled our hotel in Rome and stayed at her B&B. You definitely feel like family when you're there!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank luv-the-vacations
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I recently spent five days at Flavor of Italy B&B with my three kids. Wendy and Mo couldn't have been more gracious, caring or helpful! To start with, we arrived with my brother, his wife, and their two kids, who were going to spend a night in a hotel near FCO airport, as they were leaving the next day. Wendy took us to our apartment and showed us that there was enough room for my brother's family to stay with us, and then she took the time to cancel his hotel reservation for him, thus saving him about 200 Euros! She arranged a driver to get my brother's family to the airport the next morning as well.

The second day we were there, my son became ill with an earache. Within ten minutes, Wendy had us up the street to see her friend who is a physician. My son was examined, and given two prescriptions, and Wendy's friend refused payment for the visit. We were so very lucky to be in Wendy's care when my son needed help -- if we'd been at a hotel, I'm sure it would have been hours and hours in an emergency room, plus a huge bill.

The property itself is absolutely beautiful. Our accomodations were spacious, with a beautiful modern bathroom, and a door leading right out to the pool! The only suggestion I could make is to install ceiling fans, as the room did get warm sometimes (of course, we were there in July, when it's incredibly hot out).

I can't wait to go back. I was made to feel like Wendy and Mo were my friends, as we chatted about everything under the sun. They had great suggestions about stuff to do, places to visit, and the like.

Go. Enjoy. I promise you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family