“Changing My Mind...”
Review of Hotel Garden

Hotel Garden
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Levanto
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Hotel Garden is a prime example of why people need to give "3 star" hotels a chance. In fact, Hotel Garden is causing me to change my (pre-conceived) notions about what a 3-Star hotel offers and stands for!

While a "little" tricky to find (lobby is not on the ground floor... you have to go up a flight of stairs from the street to get there... and it's located in a "vehicle restricted" part of town... but so what??), the hotel and room were VERY clean and the staff VERY accommodating.

The room was what I would consider "European average" in terms of size, but nicely arrange, clean, and comfortable. We had a little balcony where we could read, internet access... breakfast right outside the door.... and peace and quiet! What more could you ask for?

Overall, I have no complaints about Hotel Garden in the least.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at this lovely hotel in June 2012 because the town is close proximity to the absolutely gorgeous and breath taking Cinque Terre. The room is very modern, beautiful and clean with a balcony with gorgeous mountain views. The hotel is right in the center of town and the beach is accross the street from this hotel. The train station that takes you to Cinque Terre is just a short walk from the hotel. I would definitly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed in a superior double. Location by the beach is great. We had a car and were able to drive in for bag drop and pick up. Parking is somewhat far, at least a 10 minute walk (we're 6' tall and not slow walkers). But great to have reserved hotel parking included in the rate. Train station is a pleasant 15 min walk, w/ frequent service to 5Terre towns.

Staff was helpful. We got beach towels from the front desk to enjoy a swim on the beach about 3 minutes away. Breakfast was fine, though I found the coffee seemed like Nescafe. Also, with no window screens (in most of Italy) there were flies buzzing around both mornings. But real OJ, nice brioche as well as cereal, meats and cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit. Definitely kept us going till at least 1pm lunch.

Really liked being on the 5th floor (superior rooms only), though the lift not stopping on the reception/breakfast floor was quirky. Balcony view of the town and hills was lovely. There was a lot of park noise, kids playing and yelling till midnite, and a very busy church bell every 15 minutes. The french doors sealed well for genuine silence, and the a/c was nice and cool. Not sure if it'd be noisy in spring/fall open window season.

The bed was firm but the slat system (not a box spring) transferred every move of my partner. I'd request twins on my next stay. And yes, I'd stay here again. Quirks and bed aside, we were very happy with the service, location and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Request a towel from the front desk and swim in the Mediterranean. Heavenly!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We've been staying at the Garden each summer for 7 years now. Its location is perfect, walking distance to everything. The staff are helpful, friendly and really warm. Over the years we must have stayed in pretty much every room and not been disappointed. They are all spotless with modern facilities and air conditioning.

When we've arrived late the staff have always been really relaxed and happy to wait for us. The breakfast room is light and airy and provides great coffee and a super continental breakfast.

A combination of Levanto and the Hotel Garden makes for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We loved this hotel. We too had arrived in Levanto to spend 7 days on the Cinque Terre, the first 5 with Levanto as the base, then on to Portovenere. The Hotel Garden is in a perfect location, beautiful views of the coast and right in the centre of this gorgeous friendly town. The staff were friendly, had plenty of information and advice at hand for us and had us feeling very comfortable very quickly. Breakfasts were fantastic, lots of choice, beautiful airy, sunny room and warm friendly staff. Though the room was pretty compact, it had everything we needed. We found the walk to the station a good distance to get us into the swing of the day. This is a five star location!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Hotel Garden was absolutely wonderful! It was clean and comfortable...the staff and the owners were amazingly friendly and helpful! The only issue we had was coming in late on the train we weren't sure we were going to be able to get a taxi from the train to the hotel...but a call to the hotel provided our ride and we were set! Everything about the hotel was perfect! I would certainly recommend it to others and I will be back as soon as I can!

The room was large, clean and comfortable. We had a beautiful little balcony that looked out on the street and across to the beach. The hotel is across the street from the beach and within walking distance of everything! There was a park with a playground just around the corner.

Breakfast was wonderful and we had a nice bottle of wine that we thoroughly enjoyed! There is a wonderful boat that travels between the towns...it's a wonderful additional to the trip!

It was so nice to get the recommendations from the desk clerk (unfortunately I can't remember his name) the first night that we checked in. He explained how the food was different than "American Italian" food and what we should expect! The recommendations were perfect!We stayed for a couple of nights and I just wish we'd stayed there longer!

The only issue I had is that there was no lift/elevator from the street level and carrying the luggage would have been difficult. Fortunately, the taxi driver and the desk clerk/owners were more than happy to help us! If you cannot navigate stairs, this will be a difficult issue for you!

It is the perfect location for exploring Cinque Terre...

Room Tip: We stayed right off the lobby and it was a great room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Eileen K
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I took a trip to Italy this last summer with my Family, and as part of our road trip all over the country, we wanted to spend some time at the Italian Riviera. I found this hotel online and booked it for only one night so we can go to the Cinque Terre. As soon as we got there, we knew what a great place we were at, and we decided to book the room for another two nights, and they respected the price we got online. All I can say is that it was a really nice experience, from the Hotel location, the comfort, the size and condition of the rooms, the really nice and helpful staff, but most of all, Levanto is an amazing place. It's right next to the beautiful Cinque Terre, so it is very easy to take the train to explore it, also, we went to Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino, and it was beautiful. But this town is so nice, has the feel of a small beach town, and the beach is just amazing, the Hotel is just accross the street from it. On top of it, when we were there the Euro cup was on and Italy defeated Germany in the semi finals. We watched the game in the main piazza with hundreds of people in an outdoor screen, and it was so much fun, everybody cheering and happy for the victory, the whole town was celebrating all night long. My stay in Levanto was truly one of the highlights of our trip and I can't wait to return there, and when I do, I will certainly for sure stay at Hotel Garden. Heck, I want to live there! Damiano, give me a job there, please!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family