“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by Paula from Villa Valentina where we were staying. The owner, Michele, sends someone to pick you up and then brings you back! The service was great and the food was five star. We are not fish eaters but wanted to try some and Michele was told that before we arrived. He told us what he was going to serve us in advance and asked if that was ok. It was. We had the best meal of fish we ever had. We felt special the whole night because of the excellent servers and Michele checking in on us ever now and then. What a place. We have eaten out a great deal, both at home and abroad and I highly recommend this fine restaurant.
PS The price was very reasonable, very reasonable.

4  Thank Joeafromnh

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We only heard about L'Abetaia because we were staying at Villa Valentina in Levanto and Paula, the owner, recommended L'Abetaia highly.
I'm surprised to see the Italian reviews here complaining about the price. We thought that €40 p.p. for appetizer, primo, secondo, dessert and a full bottle of excellent wine (Cortese) was entirely reasonable. Particularly considering the high quality of the meal and the fact that the 15min taxi ride to and from Levanto was included in the price.
The appetizer consisted of a variety of seafood, including prawns, stuffed mussels, and calamari salad. Primo was spaghetti alle vongole -- very simple, but perfect, with delicious tiny clams. Secondo was the highlight: a whole fish (Orata) roasted in the oven over potatoes and cherry tomatoes. To my relief, it was filleted expertly at our table. The fish was probably the best I've ever had, and I've eaten a lot of fish. Dessert was a wonderful panna cotta; we chose the one with caramel.
For this price, we'd expected to be served one glass of wine each. Instead, we were given a full bottle of Cortese, a lovely Piemonte white.
The service was fine, although a little chaotic, considering that the restaurant was not at all full.

3  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I hate giving star ratings because I don't want someone to not choose this place over our review alone.

Food was very good. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the owner. We were the second people to arrive. We had the priced fixed meal at 40 euros per person, it was our understanding our 9 year old would not be charged or be at a lessed amount. Our dining experience lasted forever. We had over an hour wait between the pasta and the fish dish. Now I recognize that many would consider a two and a half hour dining experience something to expect, but I watch almost everyone that arrived up to an hour after we did, finish and leave before us. Finally, my 9 year old daughter had a pasta with pesto sauce and a small plate of thinly sliced veal which was over 50 percent fat. She was charged 40 euros also.

Although we will probably not return, I would recommend people that enjoy good food try it themselves. If the service had been better we would have truly enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

High quality kitchen in family restaurant. A bit remote so you need a car (map position is wrong here on tripadvisor), but worth the 15 min drive.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Our friends visited L'Abetaia earlier in June 2012 and recommended us to make stop in the restaurant for a good seafood.
We ordered "menu of the day" for two (which is not on their menu - you need to ask it because it is mainly for the hotel guests). It included three kind of antipasto and the fish of the day where they brought three fresh fish in front of us and we made a choose from them.
Everything we ate was very good and the service we got was excellent.
I highly recommend to visit the place if you like fish and other seafood.