“Warms hosts encouraged private access to explore castle, gardens, historic convent.”

and 1 more site!
Albergo Il Monastero
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Our room offered a wide balcony with sheer rock walls peering down over the causeway connecting Il Moastero to the spa island of Ischia. The castle's history, the Island's thermal features (which attracted Greeks and Romans for perhaps 2,000 years), and gracious hosts made our 2 day stay the best of 17 days in Italy. During the day, small groups of Italian and German tourists came to tour the frescos in the convent crypt that were prepared by the school of Giotto. We felt privileged to pass through locked gates into the castle itself, leaving the other visitors behind. Don't miss touring the terraced gardens when 3 gardeners maintain the herbs, vegetables, flowers, and grapes for the restaurant and its own white wine.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Albergo Il Monastero

Reviewed May 8, 2010

Stayed at the Castello (Monastero) for 8 days. A friend of mine had recommended it to me and all I can say I had a wonderful stay. I am travelling over 120 day a year, always staying in 5* Hotels and this was exactly what I needed. The views were spectacular, the food had this little bit of extra (meaning the chef had put love in it), nearly every day I had a treatment in the late afternoon - facials, massages, you name it. The price value ratio was good. The owners and the staff were really helpful with everything, they booked tours for me, gave me advise where to go and overall, as a single female, for once I did not feel displaced, I was treated like a valued customer. The room was what I expected in an old Castel, the bathroom was small but very modern and functional (even the water pressure was good, which is not normal in Italy) the cleaning was good, Internet was available, basically I had everything I needed. Only problem, I am pinning to go back and to renew body and soul.

For the person who wrote that the Hotel was not clean, I do disagree, it is part of my day to day work and from a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it 9.5. It is obvious that an ancient Castle has certain opportunities. You want a lifetime experience, try it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Pilzi
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We really like this hotel. We have stayed here twice and loved it both times. Our last time here in June the food was excellent - peach upside down cake was delicious. Dinner and breakfast outside, overlooking the city is spectacular. Our host was really nice and helpful. The only downside is the climb from the top of the elevator to the reception.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2009

As the name suggests Albergo Il Monastero is a converted monastery situated in the grounds of the Castello on the rocky out crop of Castello Aragonese. If you are looking for 5*hotel with all mod cons, then this is not the place for you. However if you are looking for tranquillity with the most wonderful view in Ischia you will not be disappointed.
We stayed here for 2 nights during our Honeymoon; I wish we had booked longer. The hotel is situated at the end of Ischia Ponte and is a bit tricky to reach via car, but once you are there the views are exceptional, especially at dusk when you have the grounds to the Castello all to yourself. The hotel is decorated simply & tastefully with white washed walls and contemporary art in the common parts, this simplicity extends to the clean rooms, ours had a stunning view back over Ischia Ponte. The rooms have no A/C but we found it cool enough without (even in the heat of August) – just open a window and let the sea breeze in.

The restaurant is vegetarian and surprisingly good (for a meat eater) all produce is grown in the gardens of the Castello.

I would definitely stay again, but next time I would book for longer!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2009

The location was nice as well as the view of the old town, but the smell in wc, the stained mattress, the windows that wouldn't open, the rude staff and the bad food at high prices. Without air conditioning, the room was unbearably hot. Stay away. Please learn from our mistake...not worth the price!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hi_H057
Reviewed September 30, 2009

All is in good taste in Albergo Il Monastero: the interiors of the (somewhat Spartan) rooms, the furniture, the pictures on the walls. There is no unpleasant noise, no hard music, and you have, when the sun shines, unrivalled gorgeous views over the bay.

However, you pay a price for it. I don’t mean the price of the rooms, which seems about average, but certain limitations due to staying high-up in a medieval castle. For instance you access the hotel through a tunnel, stairs and a lift. It is not easy to get up there and during the day you will often have to wait in line with visitors to the castle (it is also Ischia’s main museum).

Also, our room had no ensuite bathroom, so we had to walk the public corridor and climb some steps outside of the room at night. No big deal, but still ... Television, fridges, minibars and hairdryers are luxuries of a different age, that supposedly don’t belong here.

Against this, you will have the rather unique experience of staying in these harmonious and historic surroundings, serene and aesthetically satisfying. And if in the evening you don’t feel up to another trip downstairs, you can always dine in the Albergo, where the meals are simple but refined.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jetzes
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed just two nights, but wish it could have been two months! The hotel was simply pristine in every sense. Looking at the hotel from Ischia Ponte in the evening with it all lit up was just magical. We had room 9 with its own private balcony/terrace. The room was clean and simply decorated. In the evenings, we kept the terrace doors open and the fresh sea breeze blew in on us while we slept. If you want the ultimate room though, try and book #8. Breakfast each morning was delicious and the views from the breakfast terrace were beautiful. We purchased the discounted tickets from the hotel for Negombo Thermal Spa (26E each hotel price or 29E at Negombo) and this was the highlight of our stay. This is a MUST DO if you enjoy sunbathing, swimming, and soaking in the thermal waters. We never felt so relaxed in all of our lives. If you are thinking about staying anywhere other than Albergo Il Monastero...think again! This is the ONLY place to stay and enjoy the wonderful island of Ischia.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple