“An amazing, perfect experience”

and 1 more site!
Albergo Il Monastero
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
Albany, New York
“An amazing, perfect experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I had a single room and my parents stayed in a double. It was incredible. The hotel is in an amazing location, with beautiful views if Ischia and the sea. The building itself is wonderful, historical, simple, lovely, charming, romantic... I could go on. The service was kind, helpful and friendly. Warning: be prepared to climb some steps - this hotel would not work for someone with a disability.
My only three regrets:
1) I traveled with my parents and not my boyfriend (this place is so romantic!)
2) I wish I could have stayed longer
3) No fault of the hotel, but I found the buses in Ischia in generally were frustrating (crowded, stops are not clearly marked / announced, generally too few buses for the number of people - but I heard they add more buses during peak season, so hopefully this will improve during the summer months).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zucca77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Utah
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We couldn't believe we were actually staying in this incredible castle on an island off of a bigger island. We were given free reign to wander the castle and explore. It was so, so fun.

Our room was small, simple, but had a lovely view. We were fine with it. Of course, in Italy, the beds and pillows are hard, flat, and uncomfortable by American standards, and Il Monastero was no exception.

The other precaution I would give, is that we ate one dinner there, and thought it was a bit overpriced and not great, though some other guests seemed pleased.

Breakfasts were excellent, as was the staff.

We were able to park our car on the causeway, right outside the castle gate. This may not be possible in July or August, I'm not sure.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Princeville, Hawaii
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was our second time back to Albergo Il Monastero, the location is in Casltello Argonese out on its very own Island. The staff was always on hand for help with information and greating you, the rooms were very clean with incredible views of the Ischia coastline. The common area is a living room with business center, a dining area for breakfasts and a huge patio overlooking Ischia. Wireless Internet was available in the common areas.

They have a full kitchen on site where the chef prepares breakfast and dinner, breakfast is included, dinner is offered at extra charge...definitly do the dinner at least one night, Francesco is incredible! Fresh homemade cakes and cookies in the morning, specialty dinners in the evening. They even arranged to have our guests from the conference we were attending for dinner on the terrace one evening, needless to say our guests were VERY impressed and we were very thankful for the hospitality.

If you ever travel to Ischia make sure to stay at least 2 nights here, you will return like we have...Can't wait to go again!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KauaiRent
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Our room offered a wide balcony with sheer rock walls peering down over the causeway connecting Il Moastero to the spa island of Ischia. The castle's history, the Island's thermal features (which attracted Greeks and Romans for perhaps 2,000 years), and gracious hosts made our 2 day stay the best of 17 days in Italy. During the day, small groups of Italian and German tourists came to tour the frescos in the convent crypt that were prepared by the school of Giotto. We felt privileged to pass through locked gates into the castle itself, leaving the other visitors behind. Don't miss touring the terraced gardens when 3 gardeners maintain the herbs, vegetables, flowers, and grapes for the restaurant and its own white wine.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Stayed at the Castello (Monastero) for 8 days. A friend of mine had recommended it to me and all I can say I had a wonderful stay. I am travelling over 120 day a year, always staying in 5* Hotels and this was exactly what I needed. The views were spectacular, the food had this little bit of extra (meaning the chef had put love in it), nearly every day I had a treatment in the late afternoon - facials, massages, you name it. The price value ratio was good. The owners and the staff were really helpful with everything, they booked tours for me, gave me advise where to go and overall, as a single female, for once I did not feel displaced, I was treated like a valued customer. The room was what I expected in an old Castel, the bathroom was small but very modern and functional (even the water pressure was good, which is not normal in Italy) the cleaning was good, Internet was available, basically I had everything I needed. Only problem, I am pinning to go back and to renew body and soul.

For the person who wrote that the Hotel was not clean, I do disagree, it is part of my day to day work and from a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it 9.5. It is obvious that an ancient Castle has certain opportunities. You want a lifetime experience, try it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Pilzi
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We really like this hotel. We have stayed here twice and loved it both times. Our last time here in June the food was excellent - peach upside down cake was delicious. Dinner and breakfast outside, overlooking the city is spectacular. Our host was really nice and helpful. The only downside is the climb from the top of the elevator to the reception.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 11, 2009

As the name suggests Albergo Il Monastero is a converted monastery situated in the grounds of the Castello on the rocky out crop of Castello Aragonese. If you are looking for 5*hotel with all mod cons, then this is not the place for you. However if you are looking for tranquillity with the most wonderful view in Ischia you will not be disappointed.
We stayed here for 2 nights during our Honeymoon; I wish we had booked longer. The hotel is situated at the end of Ischia Ponte and is a bit tricky to reach via car, but once you are there the views are exceptional, especially at dusk when you have the grounds to the Castello all to yourself. The hotel is decorated simply & tastefully with white washed walls and contemporary art in the common parts, this simplicity extends to the clean rooms, ours had a stunning view back over Ischia Ponte. The rooms have no A/C but we found it cool enough without (even in the heat of August) – just open a window and let the sea breeze in.

The restaurant is vegetarian and surprisingly good (for a meat eater) all produce is grown in the gardens of the Castello.

I would definitely stay again, but next time I would book for longer!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple