“Nearly as good as last time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Durrueli

Villa Durrueli
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Ischia
Bath, England
“Nearly as good as last time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our room, whilst similar to the room allocated to us on an earlier visit in 2013, was accessed directly off the public landing on this occasion and the lack of a lobby leading into the room did make it feel a little claustrophobic.

The room facilities also met similar standards to our earlier visit apart from the absence of any English speaking tv channels. TV is not a holiday essential in our view but some holiday visitors do like to keep up to date with news from home if only when getting ready in the morning or settling down last thing at night.

Having had Sky News previously we enquired which channels were English speaking on our TV this time but were told that none were available. A suggestion by reception that we could always go down to the reception area and watch TV there was not helpful and maybe a consistent approach to providing all rooms with Sky would be better.

If English speaking TV is an important feature to you it might be worth checking which rooms come with Sky / English speaking and which don't before booking as the hotel description is not always clear on this.

The room folder appeared to have contained a page listing an available channel for our room but the page had been removed leaving only the channel 'ghosted' list image on the plastic wallet but no available channel on that number.

Food was again first class although those expecting a diet of pastas and pizzas should choose elsewhere as the 'half board' menu choices were more fine dining than comfort food, all of excellent quality though.

A massive wine selection was available although a bottle averaged around 30 Euros for a medium quality wine and a great deal more for some finer wines. A half bottle of a local red was 15 Euros, so not cheap compared with other hotels in Ischia Port according to some other TA reviews.

The poolside lunch menu offered some tasty food, quite adequate for midday eating, although priced a little above some very good water's edge eateries close by.

My previously reported deficiency in the poorly heated hot items of the breakfast still remains unresolved.

Water for showering on this occasion was perfectly acceptable with only one very early morning shower ( day of departure) which was cold.

Dining was Alfresco and, with daytime temperatures of 30 deg for the week that we were there, temperatures cooled only a little in the evening. The evening air temperature was comfortable for shirt sleeve dining.

The pool area was never crowded and there was never a reason to reserve sun beds. There were also only about two or three people swimming in the pool at any one time.

A bar was opened at weekends on the rooftop terrace but this unfortunately lacked atmosphere on the two occasions we had coffees / drinks there with newly made friends. This poor facility and the lack of a comfortable lounge for after dinner drinks are probably the only criticisms of the hotel public areas.

Outside drinks late at night can be acceptable during the summer / late summer months but we did suffer a number of mosquito bites so an inside lounge area, other than the lobby area would be desirable.

The initial room impressions nearly made me mark the hotel down a star on this occasion but I thought that would be unfair if prices remain competitive. If however prices start to edge closer to the very good 'Il Moresco' or 'Punto Molino' in Ischia Port I would possibly be heading back to one of those or indeed another hotel on a future occasion.

With next May and September in mind we will soon be weighing up the alternatives.

Our holiday was arranged by 'Thomson Holidays' and Mina once again looked after her guests completely, accompany us all from landing at Naples and returning again to Naples for departure. All done with Mina's enthusiastic efficiency which reassures us that booking with Thompson is a wise choice.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room even if it means upgrading.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Papabob
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

thanks to sharing your review. I am very happy that your stay is spent well. I've taken good note about some of your statements, especially that you found not a simple TV channel management. I'd like to remaind you that Sky service is not available in the comfort rooms, room type from you booked , but rather it is available in all superior rooms. About the claim of wine more expensive than other hotels, I think we are on right as actually we offer a superior service compared to other 4 star hotel in Ischia.

I hope to see you next year as our welcome Guest!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had a lovely relaxing stay at this well situated hotel which is between Ischia Porto and Ponte. Its about 10 minutes to Ponte and 15-20 minutes to Porto. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful, food was good and being a vegetarian I was pleased that they provided suitable options. Our room was good and comfortable with a great view across to the Castello Aragonese - well worth paying extra for. We had a very helpful and charming Thomson rep - thanks Mina!

The only thing I could fault was that prices of drinks were not clearly displayed at the bar and the wine was a bit overpriced.

We had a great Thomson rep - thanks Mina for all your help and advice!

We loved Ischia, a beautiful Island and hugely enjoyed revisiting the marvellous La Mortella gardens. The only thing not so good at present is the chaotic local bus service. Overcrowded and erratic at present - hopefully the bus company will sort out its problems before too long as the lack of an efficient transport service must be harming local tourism. All in all a great time was had and would love to return to both the Island and the Villa Durrueli!

Room Tip: Ones with balcony and a sea view are the best to have. We were on 2nd floor and had great views of t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingBarbers
Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time at Villa Durrueli Resort .
I hope to host you again as soon as possible.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

After a difficult year we returned for our 6th stay at Hotel Villa Durrueli. From the moment we arrived we felt immediately relaxed. The service in this hotel is nothing short of amazing. The staff cannot do enough for you to make your stay both an enjoyable and relaxing experience. The hotel has been newly decorated and looked clean and fresh, and the reception staff are friendly and helpful. The meals prepared by the new chef were fantastic every night without exception and the restuarant and bar staff as warm and friendly as ever.The hotel's excellent location makes it a perfect choice for any stay on Ischia. I wouldn't hestiate in recommending this hotel and look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helena T
Dear Helena,

thank you to sharing your lovely review. We are really pleased that once again you have chosen our Resort for your holidays in Ischia. I think, by my side, you're a part of us ... and we are waiting to see you again next year.

All the Hotel Staff and
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having stayed at the hotel many times we continue to enjoy our experience due to the ongoing programme of improvements, for example the whole of the third floor had been totally re-furbished, it was good before, now it's excellent. Staff remain just about the friendliest and attentive you would wish to meet without being over bearing.Food meets just about all needs with a daily menu change, the new Chef produces high quality and variety in his cooking. Relaxing comes so easy at Durrueli, whether around the pool or experience a visit to the in-house luxury health centre. Beaches and the " Time stood still " old Town are within easy walking distance.
We will return.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor with sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ischia060
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your wonderful review. I am very proud that our customers are completely satisfied. Every year we try to improve our service just because our staff, is done by people who constantly study how to make the perfect ambience for our customers.

See you next year then!

Barnet
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just got back from this years trip, good news new chef, food good. The hotel is now dominated by Italians. Not a bad thing but they don't seem to spend any money in the hotel itself. All the drink prices have been increased and will put off those people who usually do like a few drinks in the bar. Most evenings the dining room was half full, most people seemed to be on a bed and breakfast deal. Not many people had wine with dinner again due to prices. I have just looked at 2014 prices for the hotel. Don't think I will be going the prices are getting silly. Think a lot of English people now go to other Ischia hotels better value for money. I think the hotel will suffer if lots of English people stop coming as they seem to be the ones who spend at the bar, wine with dinner etc. Such a shame as I love the hotel the staff are the best of any hotel I have been to.

Room Tip: We had a back room facing the park much quieter and bigger than the sea view rooms. Top floor rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda S
Dear Guest,

thanks to sharing your reviews that had my personally full attention.
The Hotel Villa Durrueli Resort & Spa, is a small Resort that hosts international customers, of course our Italian is part of the international tourism which fortunately, still choose Italy as a preferred destination for their holidays. About the statement of the highest rates compared to our major competitors, I think it is a commercial logic correct: our brand reputation and our service, it is far superior respect to the other 4 stars hotel in Ischia. Obviously, over the years, we try to select our customers, because we are aware of the different service than other 4 star hotel in Ischia.

In any case, I invite you once again at our Resort, to observe with much more attention, our dedicated service that we offer our customers every day.

Leicestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Villa Durreuli. The staff are truly a credit to the hotel. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. We were greeted with a smile and shown up to our room. We had a beautiful room with a spacious balcony which overlooked the castle. The food was excellent - we stayed on a half board basis and couldn't have asked for better service or food. There was always a good choice of sunloungers around the pool. Pool and areas very clean. I visited the wellness spa and had a mud facial which I can highly recommend! Mina, the Thomson Rep, was fantastic and very knowledgeable. She made the transfer to the hotel very smooth and arranged an excellent tour of the island. We also visited Negumbo, one of the island's natural spas, which was an excellent day out. The hotel is in an fantastic location. If you are thinking of booking this hotel, I would recommend without a doubt! Thank you to staff at the hotel for making our stay an unforgettable one!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Hubbard23
Dear Guest,

thank you for your review that had our full attention! I can confirm that all our staff is always very attentive in managing customer requests.

I hope to see you next year.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife chose this 4 star hotel based on internet literature and pictures. We came one day early to Ischia, and were looking for a reasonable place to stay for one night with our 6 year old son and 7 month old daughter while on route to our 5 star resort hotel booking on the island. On arrival we were greeted by a really nice and very helpful receptionist who showed us the hotel and its facilities. After a long trip we were tired and were really looking forward to winding down a difficult day of travel with two children by first relaxing by the pool, and then having dinner at the hotel's restaurant. The experience by the pool was great, but we were very disappointed when we went to the restaurant and were refused entry because we were not wearing long trousers and closed toe shoes. We simply could not believe it, exhausted with two children, on an island, during summer, in Italy, off the coast of Naples... and the head waiter at the restaurant was telling us we could not eat at the restaurant because we were not wearing long trousers and close toe shoes.

So we went to another restaurant outside of the hotel, with a wonderful view of the mediterranean ocean, and we had a wonderful dinner. Afterwards, on our return to the hotel from dinner, I complained that I was not made aware of this dress code when booking the hotel. The night doorman proceeded to take me down to the basement where the restaurant was, and showed me the dress code sign. A small sign to the left of the glass restaurant door... difficult to read from where we were standing... with two children. I asked him where the dress code was when my wife was booking hotel... he referred me to the hotel's general manager who called me a few minutes later to confirm that the dress code was the hotel's policy. When challenged as to why this dress code policy was not made known during the internet booking, I was told that a gentleman would have known that a 4 star hotel would have such a restaurant policy. I have no doubt he was referring to neapolitan gentlemen, such as himself.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank ricmast
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your personal experience at Hotel Villa Durrueli Resort & Spa. I'm sorry for what happened, but I'm forced to confirm what I told you on the phone. It would be good education, especially in respect of other Guests, have a dress code for dinner, in a 4 stars hotel. In the restaurants on the beach instead, I can understand that all this, would not make sense. So I can understand your embarrassment, but I cannot understand the wickedness which you showed the review to the other customers. I regret, therefore, that during your short stay, you tried to influence the other clients, obviously not having success. I did say you anything, because I knew you were very embarrassed by what was happened and for this reason, I invite you to spend again, maybe for a longer vacation at our 4 stars Hotel, just to understand better our professionalism .. that maybe was not appreciated in full!

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ischia
Aragona Palace Hotel
Albergo Terme La Reginella
Albergo Terme La Reginella
#2 of 18 in Lacco Ameno
Grand Hotel Punta Molino

Been to Villa Durrueli? Share your experiences!