“Lovely lunch by the Porto”
Review of Portobello

Portobello
Reserve a Table
Today
8:00 PM
Ranked #35 of 161 Restaurants in Ischia
Reviewed May 20, 2019

Our mission is to try as many restaurants on Ischia port.

As always, you had friendly staff, great quality food and this place definitely provided good value for money for 2 mains which included a mixed seafood pasta, fizzy water and wine all for a total of 39 euros.

Would highly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 12, 2019

The staff here are lovely and went out of their way to make us welcome. They comped us some starters of bruschetta which was nice and after dinner lemoncello.

But our food was not tasty. Very bland would be a way to describe it, taste wise it was our most unenjoyable meal of our 3 day break. However, it has a great setting and the staff are so lovely. If they could just improve the taste of their main courses, this place would be 5 star.

Sadly there is so much competition along that strip by the port and much nicer places to eat.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

We ate here based on the reviews and were given a glass of wine each and some bruschetta to lure us in along with the promise of a lovely truffle pasta dish as I’m vegetarian.

The starter of shrimp and avocado for my partner was a huge plate of iceberg lettuce with a few prawns and avocado. The dish was really massive. Too big. Normally this means that the restaurant is trying to make up for a high price or lack of quality?

My partner ordered the porchine mushroom tagliatelle but with a cream sauce instead of the advised tomatoes, I ordered the truffle pasta as this is my favourite dish in Italy. Unfortunately, when they arrived they were very disappointing. I don’t know how they’d made my partner’s dish but it looked like liquidised mushrooms and cream, maybe not cream though. It was difficult to know what it was because it really had no flavour and looked awful. She thinks it was the worst dish she’s ever had in a restaurant. She told the waitress politely that she couldn’t eat it and she didn’t want anything else, thanks. The waitress brought over another rice dish for her 10 minutes later but my partner had already said a couple of times that she didn’t want anything else so she said she didn’t want it. All a bit awkward and quite embarrassing.

My truffle dish was OK, couldn’t taste any truffle but it was OK.

The tagliatelle dish was removed from the bill so no complaints there.

There was an Italian couple near us and they seemed to know the owners and they seemed to be a bit annoyed with us, they said something in English about needing french fries with everything then muttered “go home” when we left.

Overall it was a bad night! Very disappointing and left feeling a bit angry at the comments from the Italian couple.

Date of visit: April 2019
gabrielebalestrie, Proprietario at Portobello, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2019

Hi, I'm sorry that the prawn and avocado salad was not to your liking, too big, each salad is made from half Costa Rican avocado and 15 freshly caught shrimp in the Ischia sea!I'm sorry she didn't like the pappardelle with porcini mushrooms, but in my restaurant we don't use porcini mushroom cream, but only fresh porcini mushrooms, coming from Avellino, I'm sorry but evidently you this type of mushrooms, of this quality you do not has never tasted them before! as well as the truffle, we only use white Alba truffles!As for the other guests, I've never seen them before that evening! They will have said their opinion because the wife of the gentleman has tried the quality of our products and in the early evening he tried our mushrooms and our truffles, and was amazed by the very high quality of the products! Perhaps he has thought that you are used to another kind of taste, perhaps more chemical ...
Anyway, I hope to have you again as my guests, to let you try something else is to let you see the product as fresh as it is!

With best regards
Gabriele Balestriere

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Service was outstanding, food was amazing! Really good value for for money! Staff were hilarious!!!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

We wish we had found this place sooner!

The complementary bruschetta was delicious, fresh and tasty tomatoes on the freshest bread.

We had melon & prosciutto, and prawn & avocado starter, sword fish with pasta and lobster with gnocchi as mains, every dish was cooked to perfection...we were also given a bowl of grilled clams and mussels before our mains to try and this was heaven.

The service was great, we were welcomed and well looked after. We will be going back for our final meal on Ischia tomorrow!

Date of visit: June 2018