“Disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Not worth the trip. Very crowded. The only saving grace is the crystal clear waters for swimming.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank atmcc

• Turkish first
Oakland, New Jersey
“Excellent food in a gorgeous setting!”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I had the unique opportunity to dine with my family at Giardino d' Eden and it surpassed my expectations. We arrived by water taxi on a beautiful Sept day and enjoyed a relaxing lunch waterside. The food was spectacular. Traditional Italian food with a contemporary flair. The family run restaurant is very warm. You can't help but relax. Next time I will bring a bathing suit to enjoy the pools. It was a highlight of my trip. I will be back!

Visited September 2011
Wellington
“Lovely location, good food but terrible service and overpriced. AVOID”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Just finished dining at this restaurant and have left feeling ripped off and disappointed by the experience.

First the positives - we were warmly welcomed, the waiters spoke in English and were happy to answer any questions we had about the menu.

The food was good, nice freshly prepared, and cooked well. We were given a complimentary welcome dish which was absolutely delicious.

Stunning view of the Castello Aragonese.

Now the negatives - the prices were outrageous. Our mains were €27 and €28 each, my companion's dish was insubstantial. Our total bill was €162, including a service charge of €5 per person. This is by far one of the most expensive meals we have had during our three weeks here in Italy.

The service was by far the biggest disappointment. As soon as dessert was finished we were essentially ignored. We would have been happy to order coffees and perhaps an after dinner drink, but alas this was not offered to us. They were clearly not busy with over half the restaurant being empty. After a long wait (up to an hour) we decided to ask for the bill just to end the experience. No one even said goodbye to us which was the biggest insult.

Access to the restaurant is difficult down a large number of steps (although I believe they offer a complimentary water taxi service - which was not suggested to us at the time we booked).

It was also annoying to have to watch the receptionist, who takes bookings and deals with the payment of bills, sit on the computer all night mostly checking her Facebook page.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, instead I would suggest Ristorante Visconte down the road for a much more rewarding and pleasant experience. We dined there two nights prior and had an amazing multi course meal for just over €100, with impeccable service.

But back to Il Giardino Eden: avoid.

2 Thank farrantnz
Vienna, Austria
“excellent service and menu”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

a great location, fantastic service, interesting menu with some non standard items. a bit pricy

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank enjoy666
New York
“Location is lovely, but food was so-so and overpriced”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Rounding along the Aragonese castle and arriving by boat to this beautiful setting is quite special. But the food was hit and miss and exorbitantly overpriced for some dishes. You are brought around a basket with the daily catch of seafood where you choose from a variety of crustaceans and fish. My husband chose a dorade, which was of normal size for one person. They filleted it and simply prepared the fish with olive oil and herbs. There were no accompaniments. Just a filleted fish. The sides are an extra cost. When we got our bill, we were shocked to find out that we were charged over 125 euros (over 175 US dollars) for this thing. Can you imagine? We brought it to the server's attention, as we couldn't believe that this fish would cost this much. He was adamant that this was the correct price. I live in New York and travel quite a lot. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and have never come across a plain fish dish at this price. That fish was almost the same price as my 5 course dinner at Alain Ducasse's Louis XV in Monte Carlo last week.

Shameful, since the location is quite lovely. I wouldn't go back.

Visited July 2011