“Double-sided resort”

San Montano Resort & SPA
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Lacco Ameno
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a week as a group of 4 people.
The main positive features of this resort are:
1) location and views
2) hotel free of charge transfer services within 5 minutes rides (mostly to Lacco Ameno and to the beach)
3) the set of different types of the pools
4) under weather conditions You can choose between the windy side (if hot) and calm side (if cool)
5) don't miss spa treatments (we loved Giuseppe treatments - I adore of physiotherapy - not cheap but really helped me and my mum).
6) restaurant bills were almost like town-restaurant bills but the views from the hotel is much better -but maybe a little bit windy (jackets are recommended)
But unfortunately there were several disappointments:
1) be caution with the room type choosing. as we were 4 we decided to save our money and took suite. Actually this type of room is very good for 2 persons because it's like two level open-space studio. There is NO door between bedroom (upstairs) and living room (where additional bed (-s) installed. So this was not very convenient to live as 4. Another issue - Upstairs is too stuffy while downstairs was too cool while using air-conditioner. Moreover You will be hear all conversation of Your neighbors (as they will hear yours)))). In the morning be ready to be awaken by sounds of the sounds of the entrance chain (it keep entrance area from riding by car exactly to the hotel entrance but it is situated right above the suite 7). Another point - the most expensive suites have the worst corridor (old carpet with bad lights - the manager said it's the last place for renovation - for me it's very surprised to take the higher price with the lowest surroundings) and average views (you will not have cosy private yard as it's advertised (all of yards are separated by thin bush with slipped not-taken-away grass just below the hedge)
2) be ready for permanent direct instructions for the stuff as the hotel practice is "manual managing" - if You have a problem You need to repeat it several times to different people: for example, I asked 2 times the room service to clean the bath (once a day while met them) - actually they cleaned it only when I got them in the room and put them by finger where the dirt is); hotel policy is NO ironing in the room: upon arrival I explained 2 hours more then 4 hours which items I need to be ironed because they can't iron all our things (it was the end of working day) and sent poor non-speaking-English maid several times for clarification.
3) strange policy for bottled water - they said they put one complimentary bottle upon arrival only - so the guests usually need to go down to the city by free shuttle bus to buy bottled water (in the shop it costs below 2 euro instead of 4 euro in the hotel). from my side it's not a 5 star hotel policy.
4) if You will go to La mortella garden be ready that You will be taking-off / picking up from main entrance (lower) ONLY (it's more relevant if You will go for classic music events there because usually the main entrance is closed by the end of the concert).
5) within a week we found twice a big bug (looks like 3 size cockroach but management insisted to name them "an insect" and explained by the next door forest). They input anti-mosquito's liquid in the plug-ins but I never thought that the smells would have any influence on the cockroaches. Just be ready for "the neighbors".
6) not all of the waiters are very good with English - we asked 10 minutes to bring our kept bottles of wine.
7) they have only 5 TV channels in NOT Italian of more than 500 channels.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms which look on Lacco Amena view
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lonelyapart
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Dear Guest,
I went through your detailed comment and first of all I would like to thank you since I appreciate when guest are giving me good hints. With respect to your opinion some of the points are not really truthful but I do respect the guest's opinion and if your stay has been not as enyojable as the first 6 points you mentioned I feel very sorry. I personally explained some of the problems occured and we agreed that most of the things were a miscommunication issues , bur regardless I would like to apologize if we did not succeded , and i really hope to see you back at our Resort.

Regards

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This place truly is wonderful, the staff are so attentive and welcoming, the views are stunning and panoramic. I came for 7 nights with my mum for a relaxing break after finding this little gem on secret escapes. I would really recommend paying extra for the half board as the food is utterly amazing, fresh seafood and fish, beautiful salads and desserts, the waiters are fantastic. We got into a habit of going down to the bar and sitting out on the terrace with a cocktail to watch the sun go down, then dinner at 8! We didn't leave the resort all week as it's got all you need! It has a well equipped gym with a stunning view. I would also recommend paying the 55euros for the transfer from Naples airport to the ferry port and pick up and transfer to the hotel, it makes things a lot less stressful! Overall we really didn't want to go home & will be going back next year!

Room Tip: Sea view room highly recommended!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Rosie G
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear guest,
is a real pleasure when our guest experience a nice staying at our Resort. On the behalf of the entire staff we thank you for the nice words and we really hope to see you back.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the San Montano Resort last April and it was wonderful. We will never forget sitting in the infinity spa pool which is naturally heated overlooking the bay; the hotel has fantastic views all around it. Do take the full board option as dinner is a five course fantasy of Italian delicacies which change every evening and we never had one that wasn't truly delicious. Breakfast is great too, with an amazing choice of pastries, as well as hot and cold dishes. We were there over Easter and the hotel put on a special Easter dinner where each lady was given a posy of flowers as she went into dinner; there were many touches like this that made us feel so special. Lacco Ameno is a lovely little village and we saw the most jaw-dropping Easter Parade, called 'running with the angels' which was amazing, local people carried beyond life-size statues of saints through the streets and at the end there was a stunning firework display. The weather may not be guaranteed at this time of year (although we only had one day of rain) but we can recommend it as it is quiet and not too hot.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view; they are stunning and worth paying the extra price.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Madame/Sir,
I would like to thank you for the nice words that I will share with all my employees. Once again thanks a lot for your comment and I really hope you will have a chance to come back in order to show you the latest updates about San Montano Resort&Spa.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Second visit to San Montano, the setting is glorious, outstanding service, exquisite cuisine. All the team go out of their way to be cheerful, professional and helpful. Vicenzo, concierge; Francesco and Peitro, chauffeurs are immensely kind and helpful.
The Terrace Bar is beautifully located overlooking the mountain and Lacco Ameno's harbour. Cannot speak highly enough about this Resort. Maggi N.

Room Tip: Recommend a sea view room to enjoy the harbour of Lacco Ameno.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank ancasterLondon
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dear guest,
thanks a lot for the nice words that I will share with all my employees. It's a pleasure that our hardwork is recognized even if there is no limit to the best service to be provided. We hope to see you back at our Resort. In the meantime GRAZIE

Reviewed June 22, 2014

My third trip to Ischia and I think this hotel is the best on island because:

1. LOCATION. It's on top of a mountain with 360 degree views and lots of quiet and privacy.
2. SPA. Has 6 different thermal pools and a saltwater pool. Other hotels seem to have only 2-3. Also many treatments at prices lower than other hotels (hour long massages for 60-80 euros, vs. 100-120 euros elsewhere)
3. GOOD MANAGEMENT. Mauricio the GM is ex Four Seasons and it shows. Staff seem motivated to work harder and more attentive than other Italian coastal hotels.
4. NICE ROOMS. Seems it was built in early 70s but renovated in last ten years. Large and comfortable, all seeming to have balconies or terraces.
5. GREAT FOOD. Two restaurants (we tried both) serve great local dishes and lots of fresh seafood. Wine list extensive and surprisingly reasonably priced (for Italian wines).

It's easy to give these guys 5 stars.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank philip s
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Mr Phil,
your comments are very appreciated and I really hope to see you back to thank you personally. On the behalf of the entire staff we would like to express our sincere gratitude.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I just spent three days at San Montano- since arrival I had a fantastic experience. The staff at San Montano makes you feel at home, taking care of every detail. The hotel itself has amazing 360 degrees views and the food its mazing. Ischia is the right place to unwind and enjoy without being in the classic "scene places"... Anything you need Vincenzo at the reception, old school concierge he will sort you out.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Mr Ezequiel,
thanks a lot for the nice words that I will definetely share with my employees. In the meantime I really hope to see you back at our Resort to thank you personally.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

High recommendations for this lovely hotel. The staff at this hotel are wonderful. The thermal and sea water pools are beautiful with the most gorgeous views.The lunch buffet is excellent value for money. Free shuttle service to many destinations.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Maurizio O, Direttore at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Madame/Sir,
I would like to thank you for the nice comments and mostly that you enjoyed the island as well.
I will share this nice review with all the staff and we really hope to see you back at the San Montano Resort&Spa, where I am sure even the Spa experience will be positive.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lacco Ameno
Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA
Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA
#3 of 41 in Casamicciola Terme
Miramare e Castello Hotel

Been to San Montano Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!