“5*?! I don't think so!”

San Montano Resort & SPA
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Lacco Ameno
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been going to Ischia since I was born, I know the Island more than well, its a second home. San Montano was always a dream hotel- sat on top of a hill, the views really do feel like you've reached paradise. However disappointment quickly followed as I was greeted by an arrogant and miserable manager. The service was dreadful, from little attention paid to breakfast to having to wait well over an hour for drinks by the pool, to the kitchen being closed until 6:30 in the evening, meaning I could not have my babies food warmed. All of this met with a careless and dismissive attitude from the hotel staff. The hotel really does lack soul and class, perhaps this matched the dreadful clientele, if you want to feel you have ended up at a pensioners committee, you will feel right at home. I was interrupted and pushed in front of several times by some of these individuals. Just a bad vibe throughout the hotel and most definitely not 5* service especially for Ischia, forget it. Whether you are young or old this place is not for you unless all you are looking for is pretty views and arrogant people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Mina P
Maurizio O, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at San Montano Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

It's always sad to have disappointed guest but as we strive to offer always a nice experience a negative comment will be our motivation tool to improve our service. Please accept my sincere apologies on the behalf of the entire staff and I will make sure that if you give us a second chance it will be our challenge to have a positive comment.
My best regards
maurizio orlacchio

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Being from London, UK I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and the World and have stayed from 3* to 5* hotels during my travels.
I know Ischia very well having traveled there since childhood - both my parents are from Ischia.

However, on my first stay at the Hotel this year my family and I were extremely dissapointed!

If you are looking for 5* service, food and entertainment then this Hotel is dreadfully lacking in this respect - please be warned.

I stayed with my wife, baby and extended family and the hotel staff were extremely arrogant, rude and rather dismissive.

From not being allowed to order/eat a sandwich by the pool because all 5 tables - yes only 5 - were full and food was also prohibited from being eaten by your sunbed, to then having to wait for over 1 hour for a drink to be bought to my sunbed by the waiter, to having no sheets for our babies cot - the list is longer but I am sure you can get the message. Breakfast food as mentioned before in this forum was poor. Poor quality concentrated fruit juice, cold scrambled eggs, to poor instant coffees/cappuccino is an absolute travesty for a 5* hotel - especially in Italy.

I am certainly not one to complain for nothing but the list of poor service was endless and when I complained politely to the manager to my sheer surprise he was almost dismissive of my situation. As my fellow commentator here also mentioned - the manager of this establishment clearly does not understand what 5* hotel standards should be and this is a real shame for such a magnificent hotel.

This hotel is indeed situated on a hilltop with unsurpassed amazing all round views of the island of Ischia and the bay of Naples - but if you are expecting a 5* service then be prepared to be very dissapointed. My strong recommendation is to try the 4* Aragona Palace we also stayed at in Ischia - near the harbour. Excellent service, location and clean hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Rocky77London

Dear guest
we are very focused on the quality of service and of course it may happen that occasionally we don't match the standards that we targeted. I am very disappointed to hear that your experience at San Montano was a poor one and I will make sure that your comments will be our motivation tool to improve.

Best regards

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've just come back from one week in Ischia. What to say ? Albergo San Montano is a very nice place for relaxing holiday. Rooms, common space, outdoor, pools area, everything is just perfect. Culinary excellent. The food delicios. Charming staff - Dirretore Farace, Vicenzo on the Reception Desk, Salvatore in Dining Area and many oithers. And not to forget - breathtaking views.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is maybe the best place to stay in Ischia for bathing, sun, relaxation and good service. The hotel has a stunning position with views in all directions from the hill above Lacco Ameno, which is a small and charming town. The pool and outdoor areas are terrific. Very well kept and with good equipments. We tried out the nearby beach one day. It is a nice place, but we found out the hotel was so great that we decided to stay there all the other days. The service is good and personal. We ate in the restaurant one day, but we preferred to walk to the city and eat there the other nights. Food is not that special in the restaurant... Snack bar in pool area could improve menu and come up with a few better options. Rates are reasonable, and we thought quality/price for staying here, was very good, and we would highly recommend it to all others who want good relaxing holidays!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank businessandpleasure
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a glorious property. Stunning location, delicious cuisine, charming staff.
Stayed at the Resort 23 June 14 nights - very highly recommended. Only
complaint was having to return to the UK. Maggi N

Room Tip: Duplex Suite with patio and garden.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ancasterLondon
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We're just back from one week in Ischia. We stayed at Hotel San Montano, a five star hotel right on top of a hill overlooking the entire Bay of Naples. The rooms were clean as well as the common spaces.the outdoor is well maintained and spending a day over the two swimming pools is a must! The italian culinary tradition is totally displayed in the menus, but really thumbs up for the breakfast served over the terrace: waking up with this stunning view having a hot espresso cup is priceless!! The restaurant staff were very friendly and overall the quality of service was very enjoyable. The shuttle service to and from the private beach filled the gap of being not very central. I will definitely be back next year for a special occasion to surprise my wife…..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one week in May. Firstly we feel we must thank some members of staff,Vincenzo,at the front desk, for his expert advise and help. Franco,Fillipe and Nicola in the restaurant for their wonderful service and attention,always smiling and happy. The hotel stands high above the village and commands an excellent view,our room in particular had amazing views. The room was very clean,the only downside, the bed was hard and uncomfortable for us. The gardens are beautiful and the saltwater pool and thermal pool are lovely. The communal areas are immaculate and spacious,it never felt overcrowded.it was so quiet and romantic the perfect place to celebrate an anniversary. It would be difficult for people with mobility problems as there a quite a few steps around the hotel,different levels. They do provide a courtesy bus into the town it is walkable but very steep. We would definitely recommend this hotel,you will have a relaxing,romantic time here

Room Tip: A corner room with a balcony for amazing views of the sea and village lights below.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Miramare e Castello Hotel
Terme Manzi Hotel & Spa
Terme Manzi Hotel & Spa
#5 of 41 in Casamicciola Terme

Been to San Montano Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!