“THE restaurant to discover on Ischia!”

La Cantina del Mare
Ranked #18 of 30 Restaurants in Lacco Ameno
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
La Jolla, California, United States
“THE restaurant to discover on Ischia!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Luck was on my side this summer when I discovered the Cantina del Mare. Perfectly located in the center of Lacco Ameno, I found myself returning several times a week to this intimate spot to feast on the delectable creations of chef Pierpaolo. It is here that freshness reigns supreme -- simple, seasonal, elegant ingredients entirely harvested locally that Pierpaolo masterfully prepares into meals to remember. I delighted in octopus with braised tomatoes with a hint of hot red pepper, crostini with black truffles (truly wow), mussels and clams...
Cantina del Mare has a beautiful wine selection, many of which are from local vineyards, that I enjoyed considerably. The setting is relaxed and welcoming and the staff wonderfully friendly--My server spoke perfect English and was incredibly patient with my broken Italian. I await my return to Ischia and look forward to the warm and authentic dining experience at Cantina del Mare.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Paige B

St. John's, NL
“What a lovely meal and evening!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We only had one night on Ischia and we are SO delighted we chose this quaint restaurant. Such a beautiful, cozy spot with walls lined with local pottery and a gorgeous selection of wines and liqueurs, most of them local. We so thoroughly enjoyed this meal and overall experience and can't wait to get back there again.

We were there in the off-season (December) and just happened to wander by and in. We asked the lovely host/cook (and perhaps owner?) Guiseppe to prepare us an ''antipasto misto" of us whatever was fresh...we are so glad we trusted his recommendation. He came out with the most gorgeous platter of beautifully prepared antipasto...such fresh ingredients presented so perfectly. I'm attaching a picture, as it really was a peice of art!

The whole meal was beautiful, and Guiseppe's warmth and hospitality took the whole experience to an even higher level. I am sure you will not be disappointed if you visit the Cantine del Mare!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Beachlovah
Arizona
“Worth searching out”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were in Ischia for a conference, so my husband's colleague searched out a good place for dinner. He found this on Trip Advisor and we set out to find it. Addresses aren't often visible along the streets, so we actually passed it 4 times before finding it. Once we were at the door we realized that from the street the canopy blocks the name above the door.
We were seated promptly and given menus (only in Italian), but the waiter was friendly and did his best to translate for us. He even went to the kitchen and brought out a tray of all the seafood they were serving that night,and explained how they tasted. We all chose the linguine with prawns and cherry tomatoes. It was delicious. The men shared a bottle of local wine, and we topped the night off with lemoncello.
Credit cards are accepted, but they use the phone line next door to verify, so the store had to stay open till we paid and they were so kind they didn't want to rush us, but I felt awful that they had to stay late just for us.
Very nice, clean, friendly restaurant with good food made from the freshest, local ingredients.
. My advice, if you are having trouble finding if, look under the canopy!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ArizonaMomcat
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We enjoyed four fantastic meals at Cantina del Mare whilst staying on Ischia, we tried other places but just kept going back as the food and service were amazing. All the ingredients used were very fresh, one evening I had Tagolini with Porcini mushrooms and I have never tasted anything so good. The peppered mussel starter was great and served with the superb Ischian lemons and Spaghetti with Langoustines was superb. The wine list is impressive and the Pastiere is to die for.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Nikki S
Naples, Italy
“Definitely a keeper”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Have been to Ischia multiple times in the past few months, and this restaurant is always on the agenda. Fantastic service, fresh fish, nice wine list. Definitely try the antipasti di mare if you want to have some of the best fish of your life!

Visited September 2012