“Inspiring, fresh dining at it's best!”
Review of Cantinando

Cantinando
Reserve a Table
Wed, 7/17
8:00 PM
Reviewed June 6, 2019

My husband and I recently returned from a two week vacation on Ischia and what a trip it was! When you are fortunate enough to spend an extended amount of time in one place, you really have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture and meet the locals. You also have the time to find and declare a favorite restaurant....and this was it...hands down! Daniela and Nando are the wife and husband team behind this extremely intimate (only around 10 tables, if you include the couple of two tops outside!) and simply appointed place. Seriously, it doesn't get more romantic than this, folks! Vintage bottles of Sassicaia and the like adorn various nooks and crannies. The interior walls are rustic brick and stone with classic red gingham tablecloths draped over the tabletops. Between the charming interior and the warm, welcoming people on staff, you truly get a sense of being treating to a gourmet meal, loving prepared in someone's home!

My husband and I loved the food and atmosphere so very much that we ate here three times over the course of our trip! Chef Nando has such a great sense of what to do with the abundance of fresh, local ingredients! Some of our favorite dishes included his tuna crusted in finely ground peanuts on top of tomato and basil cream, the spaghetti with sea bass ragu, dry tomatoes and skin scented with lemon and pistachio powder and his spaghetti with clams is among the best of the island (which says a lot, considering this dish is a favorite at many establishments)! And can we talk about the Limoncello please??? Truth be told, I am not a fan of his after dinner tradition BUT this Limoncello was brilliant! Much thanks to Daniela's Mother In Law as it is her recipe and thank goodness it is being passed down!!! Absolutely the perfect end to every meal we enjoyed in their place.

We will miss these guys so very much and look forward to our trip next year (I hope) where we will all meet again!

PS- you MUST have a reservation, especially during high season.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 3, 2019 via mobile

We walked past this entrance and thought how strange it looked to be a restaurant, we then googled it and saw the reviews on TripAdvisor. This strange, quaint, unusual, understated little bijou restaurant is beautiful and sophisticated as it is deceptively different. I choose not to have a starter as it was my birthday and I had eaten a beautiful cake made for me by my hotel earlier. My husband had a bowl of mussels in a white sauce which was soaked up with copious amounts of Italian bread. His main was white fish and mine was the local rabbit. I have never eaten rabbit before and the menu does not say what it is cooked with. I had half a rabbit and whilst it is quite boney, I used my hands to eat it. It was extremely tasty and I would highly recommend. I had a cream pistachio dish for dessert which was also define. Prices are reasonable and we noticed that it was frequented by local Italians which speaks volumes. The young ladies who waited on us were very attentive and incredibly nice. 5 stars

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

Very nice little restaurant with a creative menu and good service. As a starter the octopus salad and after that tuna with peanut crust in Basil crème sauce. Dessert from mascarpone and peach.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 30, 2019

Maybe we aren't used to the ordering of three savoury courses of Antipasti, Primi Platti and Secondi Platti- anyway we ordered only two courses each . I had spaghetti flavoured with rabbit, tomato and basil sauce (strangely the menu pointed out there was no rabbit 'meat' in this dish - just the flavour in the sauce ) for my 'starter' and then the seared tuna for my main. However, the cubes of tuna just came on a small spoonful of tomato and basil sauce under each cube. No accompaniments. Hubby ordered two dishes as well , the anchovies to start which were plain , simple and tasty and 'starter' size portion- nothing special, weve had them many places just the same before . Then he had a pasta with ragu for his main - a smallish portion of pasta, tasty though. I ordered the much mentioned pistachio cream dessert and was a bit disappointed. Served in a tiny martini glass and not particularly luscious. It was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant and its pretty inside with its curved brick ceiling. The staff and chef were all really nice , but the food just didn't hit the spot for us with the high expectation we had from previous reviews. It was my birthday too so I felt disappointed. Perhaps we should have ordered 3 savoury courses but then it would have worked out really expensive. And if the portions had been bigger then I wouldn't have had room for my dessert.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 3, 2019

We were recommended this little gem by our hotel - and it didn't disappoint.
They accommodated us at the last minute and served up beautiful, fresh, local food and wine.

Date of visit: April 2019