“More boo-tique than boutique”

Marina 10 Boutique&Design Hotel
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Casamicciola Terme
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here for a week and based on other reviews were very much looking forward to it.

First, the location is great. Right in Casamiaccola centre, just a few doors down from the ice cream parlour.

We had booked ages in advance, and requested a ground floor room on other's suggestions here. I think we got the worst deal. Our room was tiny and crammed in a corner. We peeked into other rooms when they were being cleaned and they were much bigger than ours. Still, it was pleasant enough and very clean throughout, although as others have said, the shower leaked and beds are quite hard.

What wasn't so good?

Breakfasts were mediocre at best. Bread wasn't always fresh, no toaster, no make your own coffee facilities, which kind of limited us to one each in the morning (we'd prefer a couple). Some of the food made repeat appearances over a few days.

The pool has no shade. And it turns your bathers a rather attractive shade of yellow. (This wasn't just here - we had the same experience at other places, so it must be an Ischian thing, but don't take a white bikini).

The corridors were really noisy and they begin playing music in the courtyard just after 8, so don't expect a lie in. And it was the same music every day. Kinda sent us nuts after a few days.

No remote for the aircon. So every time it got hot at night, someone had to get out of bed to switch it on (or turn it off).

The spa is a joke. Hubby tried to book me a massage for my birthday, but was told the therapist wouldn't come that day as he was tired. (No wonder the economy is so bad there!). We did get a free 30 minute use of the jaccuzi and steam room. Except the jacuzzi was freezing - (the pool was warmer), and the spa itself is dark and dingy and frankly - smelt of sewerage - we left after 10 minutes.

Service was remote and offhand, rather than warm and friendly.

Given it's a 4 star, I'm baffled as to why. Especially when we moved to another 4 star boutique hotel in Naples and experienced the real deal in all it's glory. It's certainly not the worst in Ischia, but it's not what we hoped for and we wouldn't go back. Credit to the cleaner though, the place was spotless.

For my birthday trip, I was hoping for a real treat. Ischia is full of them, but this place wasn't it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jo M

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay in this lovely hotel. My boyfriend and I booked last minute and we were not disappointed. Actually getting to the hotel was very easy. We flew to Naples, caught the Alibus to the Port (about 3euros), jumped on a ferry which was waiting just opposite the bus stop at the port. This took about an hour and cost 16euro. We got off at Ischia and caught another bus to Marina Piazza, Casamicciola. The hotel was a 1 min walk from the bus stop. We found out on our departure that you can catch the Ferry from Casamicciola back to Naples - we will know for next time!

We received a lovely warm welcome from Frederica and all the staff at the hotel. The room was quite small but had a lovely private balcony and overlooked the garden. Breakfast was included and was a perfect start to the day. Croissants, eggs, cereal, salami, bruschetta, yoghurts, fruit etc

The location is absolutely perfect for exploring. Bus stop and ferry stop across the road from the hotel. The island is quite small so it is easy to go from one village to another.

Only observation about the hotel was that the doors do bang and the shower room does leak. Very minor points which I am sure the hotel can fix.

The room was very clean and fresh towels everyday. First floor rooms were lovely with the private balcony. The beds were firm and linen changed regularly too.

I would recommend the thermal spa and also make sure you try out the food in the port at Ischia!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lola76
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My GF and I stayed just one night at this beautiful hotel on 5/26 through 5/27/2102. The front is not much to look at (see photo) but once you get inside it's beautiful. The inside was nicely furnished and very artistic, truly a boutique hotel. I am a travel newb so take this review for what it's worth.

The two young ladies at the front desk were very helpful, Valentina and Federica. Federica especially. My iPhone fell out of my pocket on the cab ride to the ferry and I happened to get the cabbie's card. Once I figured out it must be in the cab I called Gennaro Amato in Naples (he is stationed usually next to the Capodichino Airport - 339.273.74.05) and asked Federica to speak with him for me and he did find my phone and we arranged to meet once we got back to Naples - she was a customer service star, in my eyes.

The room was decent sized, very...artistic. The mattress was firm, which we both liked. The bathroom was nicely laid out and the water in the shower was hot. The shower door seal leaked a little in our room, room 103 - which is listed as a Classic/Economy room on the receipt - the leak was not a problem for us. Note to maintenance: the door to our room kept banging (not very loud, but it sounded like someone was trying to open the door) against the door jamb because it didn't have "door jam bumpers" - you get the idea. I often wonder if the employees or owners of a hotel ever stay in their own rooms, like quality assurance.

I'm not sure if this is a standard item in Italy or not but the two hotels we stayed in for our vacation did not have screens. There didn't seem to be a problem with mosquitoes or any other bugs but it was odd not to have screens.

We only stayed over one night and we slept well. We had some friends who also stayed there with a balcony and that was nice to relax on and drink some nice local wine and listen to my friend play his mandolin. Our room did not have a balcony.

The location was terrific, just a quarter block from the bus lines that run around the island, which I highly recommend using. Ticket prices were...1.6 Euro and can be purchased everywhere. As an aside, don't forget to stamp your ticket immediately upon getting on the bus.

They do have a spa in the building which we did not use. The breakfast was terrific with all sorts of healthy items to choose from. We did not get room service.

I would stay here again, bravo Federica and Valentina and keep up the great work.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

There is no better way to stay in Ischia. Professional, clean, helpfull, stylish and delicious breakfast included.

The hotel is perfectly located. In only 2 seconds you are on the Piazza Marina, in 20 seconds at the bus station, in 2 minutes at the ferry-harbour and in only 20 minutes in the Giardini di Poseidon.

Surrounded by flowers, you can relax at the pool with ocean view.

The staff is very friendly and professional.

Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Daniela W
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We came to this island not fully knowing what to expect, especially where distances were concerned. Much to our relief, the Marina 10 hotel was almost at the end of the dock used by the ferries. And on a rainy day, this was a godsend.
As it turned out, the hotel's location proved ideal during our two-night stay. We were able to walk to the Negomo Thermal baths and we walked to Ischia Porto. The hotel staff were amazed we walked these different directions, but when you get lost as easily as we do, distances and but a mere stroll.
The hotel staff was very helpful and certainly courteous and considering our Italian consists of
"ci" "buon giorno" "arrivederci" and "buon sera", they were able to get us from point A to point B without too much trouble. Perhaps because they had a better handle on English than we did on Italian.
The hotel's central location makes travel by bus a breeze. Like the ferries, the buses can be found virtually at the hotel's front door.
Breakfast at the hotel was more than sufficient to get the day started.
The only drawback to our stay, was the room size. It wasn't very large, but it did serve it's purpose. And, had it not rained the first day, we could have enjoyed the room's balcony which overlooks the courtyard.
The room rate was certainly ideal.
All in all we had no complaints and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie J
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I recently stayed at Marina 10 for over a week and could not have been more pleased and impressed. This boutique-like hotel is ideally located just steps from all of the local restaurants, cafes, bars, beaches and shopping. The rooms where tasteful and chic, with all the amenities and services you'd expect from any luxury hotel, including a private terrace. The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating, always going above and beyond. Would not hesitate to book again at Marina 10!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have private terrace.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I had a really lovely stay here recently. We had to move rooms initially as the family room was too small for 4 adults but the staff couldn't have been more understanding and accommodating. The rooms we had on the ground floor were lovely with great terraces and the pool area really attractive and peaceful. The staff we amazing - so helpful and lovely and the location of the hotel was perfect...really quiet but still in the thick of things in the little town of Casamicciola. Great coffee every morning thanks to lovely Francesco too!
Charlotte