“Great hotel for relaxing”

Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days in early September. Only positive impressions. Very friendly staff, clean, large rooms, excellent restaurant, a nice pool. The hotel is situated on a hill, away from roads and urban noise, making it the perfect place for secluded relaxation. At the same time, the nearest port towns are easily accessible by bus (5 min) or walk (30-40 min), in addition, the hotel provides a shuttle service to Castiglione thermal park and Porto Ischa center. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to distract from the daily hustle and bustle. Special thanks to hotel staff, who tried to do everything possible to make our vacation a truly wonderful!

3  Thank Denis P
GRIFOHOTEL, Lo staff del Grifo Hotel de Charme**** at Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Madam, dear Sir,

We are very glad for your fantastic review here on Tripadvisor!

We thank you for your positive feedback and look forward to your next stay at Grifo Hotel de Charme****

With very best regards!

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed there in late july 2011. somewhat secluded in the hills of ischia, away from the towns, but that is part of its charm--very scenic, quiet location. not too far from Casamicciola town--you can walk in about 20 minutes (if you don't mind hills and walking in the sun) or take free scheduled shuttle (or taxi). Ischia town is about the same distance in the other direction but less walk-able.

great family-run business with friendly, helpful staff. lovely pool (not heated) and sun loungers, nice meals. high level of service and amenities but without being a huge over-crowded hotel. stayed at a room in the main part of the hotel, it was spacious, clean, quiet, modern, but with a nice touch of local colour in the form of blue tile floors. was there a week with no problems.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
GRIFOHOTEL, Lo staff del Grifo Hotel de Charme**** at Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Dear Guests, we are very glad you place your opinion in this web that means so much to our business. Really appreciate you comments, we are very happy to help our guest and make their stay easier so they can relax and enjoy Ischia.
Thanks a lot!

Reviewed September 30, 2011

We visited grifo hotel this september as a part of our wedding trip in Italy. Almost everything was great, just few things were not as good as they could have been.

The hotel is situated a bit high over the coast, so the terrace seaview is remarkable. The road to hotel goes up through the picturesque pinetree grove. Staff can drive you up to the hotel and down to the main road if you want, so there are no problems with the hotel situation.

Rooms are nice and clean, room service is pretty good. The only problem we encountered was the internet access - no wireless service provided, only LAN access with a very slow speed.

The breakfasts and dinners were just perfect. Breakfast meals include all general stuff. For dinner, one can choose 1 of 3 options for the 1st course (generally pasta and smth else), and 1 of 3 options for the second course, and 1 of 5 options for the dessert. All courses are delicious and the variety is very high - ve have never seen same courses. In addition, an appetizer buffet is at your service. The waiters are serving at the top level, we liked the service very much - very polite, gently, and professional.

The hotel posesses a SPA zone, where you can relax and take some rest after sunbathing, We were gifted a free massage session, that was very pleasant.

To summarize - the hotel is perfect and I would advise it to anyone who goes on Ischia.

3  Thank Alexander K
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Pros:
Spotless, nice pool, good atmosphere, balcony rooms available, free parking, internet. A facade of perfection until you open the pandora's box.
Cons:
1. We booked rooms with seaview + balcony and it seemed we had 2 of the best rooms on the second floor, but the seaviews were mainly obscured by large trees and seaview is at a distance. Therefore, if you pay premium for the seaview rooms, don't expect a true, panoramic view.
2. There are mosquitos throughout the hotel, so you may not find the balcony to be very useful.
3. One of the impressive things with this hotel at first sight is the leaning towards high-tech gadgets. For example, the AC was a digital panel, but we never got it to work to adjust the temperature lower from the fix 24.8C to 18C to make the room cooler. We spoke to the staff who used the front desk computer to apparently reset and control the AC system, but it never worked, so we had 3 days without AC in both rooms. Since this was September and cooler than middle of summer, it wasn't a big problem, but it would've have been more comfortable if it worked. Room keys need to be updated daily, sometimes twice a day at the front desk downstairs in order to work. You won't know until you walk to your room to realize the digital key isn't reading.
4. Free internet advertised does not mean much because it is spotty if you are used to broadband, it's like going back to a 56K modem. They should really upgrade on the internet and just charge for usage. The hotel is located up in the woodsy mountain and it's secluded, but if you plan to relax at the hotel and catch up on emails, plan on being there ALL DAY! It took 30 minutes to even load up the page.
5. We booked HALF Board which includes dinner. It's convenient because you don't need to go back down to the town and find restaurants to dine at. There's an excellent buffet style salad and grilled vegetable spread. Some fried risotto balls, potato mozarella filled rolls, and bruschetta - enough to be dinner all on their own eventhough they were meant as starters. However, the pasta and protein menu is limited and the food caters more for local Italian taste, but I didn't think it was really Italian traditional cooking method or style. All the dishes had heavy cream sauces, served lukewarm like college dorm food. One night we had spaghetti carbonara as a choice and it was not edible. The pancetta was not crispy, the fat in the cream sauce separated like a poorly made bechamel sauce if that is possible. I wasn't sure whether it was a bad alfredo want to be carbonara dish because there's no egg and cheese toss in the spaghetti, but then again how could the egg cook if the pasta is lukewarm. It was definitely not considered a carbonara by any means. The protein choices were also poorly executed as well. I had the chicken with tomatos as the main one night and it was inedible. The chicken with skin was burnt on the outside, the meat needless to say was dried, the tomato cooked separately or added last to the chicken was probably the only item to pick at.
6. SPA -review for anyone thinking of a facial... ugh.. if you can call it that. Located on the lower level of the hotel (basement liked), not air conditioned, a small floor fan is used, felt like a dark and musky smelling extra large closet. And only morning appointments were available (don't know if they were really fully booked or just 1 staff available and has afternoons off). It is hard for me to believe that this so called Spa can be that popular after my over priced under valued 45 euro so-called facial. It began with the hot steamer on my face for 20 minutes to open the pores, then it felt like the 200 pound esthetician put all her weight into my face to squeeze the black heads and after 10 minutes of excrutiating pain, she only took the quickest 2 minutes to clean and massage my face with some lemon meringue smelling cream. Following the cream was an acidic application of lemon citrus liquid which I thought was another cleanser, but it turned out to the "cold mask" part used to close the pores. 20 minutes later, that was cleanse off, more lemon meringue cream applied, and that's it!
For anyone who have had facials before, this spa hotel is not for you. My regular facials at Shisheido for US$60 includes the following: Steam to open pores and removal ,cleanse approx. 20 minutes, eyebrow shaping 10-15 minutes, massage on shoulders 15 minutes at least, ice cold minty mask application 30 minutes to close pores, 15 minutes to have another moisturiser application to finish. If that's what you're used to, stay in San Francisco and take an afternoon off.

1  Thank SoftPillows
GRIFOHOTEL, Lo staff del Grifo Hotel de Charme**** at Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for leaving your comments on tripadvisor. Your opinions help us to grow and improve our service especially when they are objective and sincere. But in this case we are surprised by your opinion because during your stay you're complimented several times on the structure and work of all staff . So we can not understand the meaning of this comment inconsistent with your attitude towards us.
Finally, we regret not having been able to apply an additional discount when checking out, probably for this reason has influenced his final decision.
Hoping to have you as our guest even greet it with sympathy.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Grifo Hotel Was and is a great location to use as a base for your stay in Ischia. The staff is well trained,efficient friendly and knowledgable. The rooms are comfortable,clean and well maintained. The pool and sun area's are comfortable, and modern with charm. The ocean view is available from the sun deck or the back side of the hotel. The value in terms of price is excellent. Breakfast was as good as any on our trip. Warm croissants, toast and typical Italian breakfast items all available. Great service bar and Breakfast (Thanks Palo !) We only ate dinner once at the hotel ( we were with a friend whose parents were from Ischia and there were several restaurants he wanted us to try )Price for value here also excellent. The anti- pasta could have been the meal in itself. The dinner (I had sea bass) was outstanding. If I were forced to complain about food here I would say that my pasta dish could have been hotter as could the eggs at breakfast. I am sure had I asked they would have gotten me exactly what I needed.
We would like to include special thanks to Emmanuella and Piro who both unselfishly went out of their way to make us feel welcome and part of Ischia.(I hope my note to you both in Italian was readable ;-))) To the owner who was friendly and inquisitive as to our stay what a refreshing pleasure it was to meet you. Four stars is a good start for this Hotel but with some minor tweaking we believe they could be five.
Three small suggestions,1) Make sure you Provide good directions ( as the GPS does not recognize the Via Monte Tabor. My Garmin Used the )Via Bosco Della Maddalena, 36.
2-Putt a dimmer switch in the dining room. The atmosphere would be so much more romantic and appealing) 3-Pool towels at 4 euro's a day? Charge 4 more euro's per room and include the pool towels.
My wife and I would highly recommend this Resort to all. Four night easily could have been six or seven.

Jim and Elaine Matts

Room Tip: Park past the Hotel by the football field.Easier to come and go.If you have a GPS use Via Bosco Dell...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
GRIFOHOTEL, Lo staff del Grifo Hotel de Charme**** at Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Guest Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. This is our pleasure, you enjoy your stay with us and we make your stay memorable. We will continue with the same and offer you a higher level of service satisfaction. With warm regards!

Reviewed September 8, 2011

The Grifo hotel is a five star location on the island of ischia which makes you feel like royalty. Nestled way from the noise and craziness of the island, the hotel is located on the side of a mountain, off the main road, very close to the port of ishcia. The following is a list of things I really liked about this gem.

A. Excellent food. On a nightly basis, the hotel resturant is filled with great tasting , fresh anti-pasti that is a meal in itself. Following the anti-pasti, is a highly quality dinner with three choices, usually local fish with local wine. While I could have gone into town every night for dinner, I preferred to stay at the hotel and have food I know i would enjoy.

B. Hotel Accommodations--- I always say, if i go on vacation, I will stay at a place much better than my own house, or not bother going. The Grifo is a very modern hotel, chic and more akin to a boutique hotel rather than a standard hotel. This hotel should rate five stars for its modern nature. Each room has great air conditioning, flat screen TV and a great terrace. Overall, the room was very clean and the tile floor sparkled. Housekeeping is clearly very meticulous on how they take care of each room.

C. Hotel features-- The hotel has a great pool area that feels a lot like miami beach. Above the pool is a sun deck looking out on the beautiful mountains of ischia. Additionally, the hotel also features hot pool and sauna which makes you feel very rejuvenated after a lady at the beach. Overall, when you are on the property, you really don't feel like leaving for anything, since it is so beautiful and chic. The guests are usually very chill and laid back-- this is an excellent place to recharge the engines before heading back to work.

d. Other features-- the hotel provides shuttle service between the water parks, beaches and porto ischia. Additionally, while it is a good idea to know a Italian when visiting Italy, the hotel has many try-lingual employees that make you feel at home even though your Italian may not be perfect.

Bottom Line:

If you want to feel very special, pampered and taken care of while on vacation, and only expect tyne best in terms of service, accommodations, and food quality. This is the place to be--Where quality and price come together-- a rare gem!

I hope you enjoy your stay-- I know I did!

And will be back next year!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Friends,we are so grateful and surprice for your nice review and we are so happy that you are spend a nice holiday in our little hotel.
Its oppinion regard our service and Hotel has a greater value depending its experience in travels around the world. I hope of having in the next year like Guest. We wish you our best!!! With a lot of affection!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Grifo Hotel and had an amazing holiday.

The staff were all very welcoming and could not do enough to help with any questions we had about the island. On our first day Emmanuella gave us detailed information about buses, places to visit and discounts for the thermal parks.

The hotel is kept immaculately clean and our superior room, on ground floor had a spacious terrace with sea view. The food served was first class, the waiters were very friendly and attentive.

The hotel is set on a hill which takes approximately 5 minutes to climb, which is quite steep, but my partner and I, being in our early 30's had no problem with this and actually enjoyed it after our meals out. They offer a shuttle service on request to take you up and down, and also have schedule times to take you into Ischia Porto and Cassamicciola, which we found handy (thanks Nico and Alberto).

Overall, we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday which the hotel played a big part of. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: I would recommend a superior room with sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
GRIFOHOTEL, The staff of Grifo Hotel de Charme**** at Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Dear Guest,Many thanks for your feedback.We are extremely glad that your stay has been pleasant, the service given appreciated and that all our staff has been friendly and helpful.
We hope you'll come again in Ischia and stay once more with us! Best Regards

San Montano Resort & SPA
San Montano Resort & SPA
#1 of 18 in Lacco Ameno
Punta Chiarito Resort Hotel Ristorante

Been to Grifo Hotel Charme & SPA? Share your experiences!