“Great hotel - disappointing customer service”

Sorriso Thermae Resort & Spa
Ranked #34 of 81 Hotels in Forio
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in Sorriso Thermae Resort for a week in July. The hotel itself, location, rooms, food and pools were brilliant and would thoroughly recommend, however we were left with a very sour memory of this hotel after we were treated despicably by their reception staff.

Unfortunately, the reception staff paint a very bad picture for all staff in the hotel, as generally speaking the bar staff and restaurant staff were lovely - albeit a little unjustifiably snobby in some cases!

Upon checking out, we were presented with our pool bar and mini bar bill. We queried a couple of items - one of which being some food which we had ordered, then quickly cancelled when we found out you could not eat on the sunbathing terrace.

A member of the reception staff argued with us over this bill (for the sake of 4€) - until the point he began to raise his voice, become aggressive and rude towards me. He then continued to (what we can only assume) mutter insults, or derogatory comments to us under his breath. Disgraceful behavior for somebody who is working in (what they classify) a 4* hotel. Perhaps in the UK we do things differently, but for the sake of 4€, customer service would be the priority. Evidently the reception staff need some training in manners and courtesy, as this was not the only time a member of staff was rude / snobby with us. Disgusting when we are paying a considerable fee to stay there.

I hope the resort takes on board the feedback provided. I have also written to them to issue a formal complaint, but received no response!

Positives: brilliant views, clean rooms, lovely pools, relaxing location

Negatives: leaky shower, basic breakfast selection (compared to other 4* hotels), rude staff, overpriced

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Caroline Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,847)

Reviewed July 19, 2014

It's the most beautiful and friendly hotel at the island Ischia. People are very friendly and patient.
At this hotel you have different options to live at the main area of hotel with sea view room and also this hotel has different nice Villas in a very silent and relaxing areas. At the hotel you have Spa with wonderful relaxing atmosphere.
This hotel is located near the famous Giardini Termali Poseidon.
The hotel has the own restaurant Oasis with the beautiful view on the sea. The food is amazing, service is on high level, live music daily.
I advice to go to this place with friends or with family or romantic couple. Anyway in any company you will satisfy with this time at Iscia.

Room Tip: I advice Villas - very silent and relaxing places
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mila77772014
Reviewed May 8, 2014

we did stop by for a short visit of the spa . the staff is friendly , the structure clean and reasonably with a good value for money . it is a shame that some of the water devices didn't work properly .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The outdoor thermal pool is worth another star. We stayed there one week b&b basis. The room (ground floor) gets stuffy and was maybe not big enough for a 4* place, but on the other side it was only a few steps from the pool. Somewhat disappointing that the bathing gowns and slippers were not provided in the rooms. There was a visit to the spa section and an anti-stress massage included in our room package which was a very nice experience. The breakfast was abundant but we missed fresh vegetables. A bus stop is very near the hotel entrance, the reception sells bus tickets. Staff very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michal_Babilas
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Big disappointment... :( As a 4* hotel some of the staff at the guest services should pay more attention for their guest. We called them 3 times not having hot water,they could only say:"I have talked to the Guys already!" Nothing got fixed. The other day,sleep in a little bit late,the housekeeper came and stated:"I need to clean your room,can you go out,because I need to go to clean to the other side of the hotel..." :( The Island is beautiful,the resteurants have amazing food and their friendliness also amazing, but as a first timer in Ischia they caused a big disappointment with their service. I'm sure we could have a better hotel with a better service for much more less money... K.H.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francesco V
Reviewed August 24, 2013

i have been to this resort 4 times so far these two months i just cant get enough of this fantastic resort. It ticks all the boxes great staff, great food, great rooms, great value, great entertainment, great atomsphere, great location great views! Being a frequent traveller i am surprised how much i enjoy it here it really is a hidden treasure! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get a taste of real italian hospitality...

Room Tip: spend that little extra and book rooms in the main resort building it worth it! if you can splurge o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marisa U
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel was a terrible experience from start to finish.

This hotel is marketed as a relaxing atmosphere to take in the thermal experience of Ischia; relaxation was far from the feeling I experienced throughout my two day stay.

Reception; Staff courteous but lacking any drive to be hospitable or welcoming. I felt that I was a nuisance to their daily routine and an imposition. Staff assisted when required but with little enthusiasm or joy. Hospitality is a business that is driven by passionate and talented people none of whom are employed at the Sorriso. The FOM or the equivalent whom checked me out at the conclusion of my stay was helpful and I thank him for assisting me with my inquires. Shame that a hotel of this size had not a single iron on the premises and when it was time to go to dinner (outside of course as the hotel restaurant seemed always to be closed) the reception staff suggested that I wait until the morning to ask around and see if anyone could iron my dinner shirt! Perhaps a lost in translation moment. Staff need much more training on delivering customer service.

Rooms; Disgusting. After being shown a "double" with a patio consisting of four square tiles approximately 1ft sq each (the room was also not serviced), I opted for the single with a sea view. The room was abhorrently dated with big bulky furniture and a VERY BAD mattress. My back ached after one nights unrestful sleep. The bathroom was dirty with evident mould growing around the shower base. The bathroom units had clear evidence of water ingress that you would need to be blind not to notice. The shower was cold - constantly - accept for the morning of checkout when luke-warm was the best I could manage. The shower doors were old and did not meet in the middle. The shower drain was foul. Only one single towel - I realise that in Europe a single room comes with single amenities however when one uses the towel to visit the pool what does one then shower with (a lack of visible housekeepers prevented me from gaining a second towel). A dreadful hum disturbed the peace of the room all night long, as though an air conditioner unit was right above my head. The mini bar was poorly stocked and warm. The wardrobe had a collection of old hangars from the remnants of previous guests. Mismatched furniture on the patio and with a garden fence obscuring the view. Housekeeping promptly knocked on my door at 11:01am to inquire as to why I had not yet vacated - a hotel of 4 stars and of this size and of the supposed grandeur should have more sense than that!

Pool/Pool Staff; Boring experience reminiscent of a certain television program featuring a hotel in the sunny Spanish town of Benidorm.. Pool was dated and appeared tired and unclean. The staff were dreadful - I wanted to lie by the pool relax which was not possible. I had to get up of the lounger and stand at the bar approx 10 mins each time I wished to order a drink and then politely have to explain each time what a vodka and tonic actually was. This zone is great for people aged over 90 as there was ample service for them. I asked a member of staff to direct me to the other pools and they vaguely waved their hand in the direction of the ocean and walked away. Great, stellar service once again! Old sun loungers, cramped together and very few shady spots. Dated umbrellas.

Restaurant; N/A. I did not dine.

Restaurant Oasis; PERFECT. The only saving grace for this property is their affiliation with the Oasis. On the whole a wonderful experience with a sommelier Antonio who was outstanding and very accomplished in his position. Wonderful meal aside from a few minor challenges which Antonio sorted within minutes.

Grounds; expansive and difficult to navigate.

Spa; Could not get an appointment. Staff at reception informed me on two occasions that the spa was closed and to try again in the morning. On the morning I checked out there were no available therapists. (Perhaps an assumption that a spa resort actually had a spa in which could accommodate a good majority of their guests was far fetched.)

In conclusion happy to take your money; couldn't be bothered to do anything for it! I left angry and with a wallet a lot lighter for it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Inthebiz_29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forio
Hotel Hermitage & Park Terme
#1 of 70 in Ischia
Hotel Terme Royal Palm
Hotel Terme Royal Palm
#13 of 81 in Forio

Been to Sorriso Thermae Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!