“Home away from home”

Poggio del Sole
Ranked #28 of 81 Hotels in Forio
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This place is a word -- Wonderful. Beautiful views of the mountains as well as the clear blue waters. The unique charm of this place is the that it is family run and they embrace you as one of their own. The restaurant was amazing, food was finger licking good and melt in your mouth. Guiseppe and his family took care of me and my mate so well and nothing was too much to ask. I can't say enough about this place and I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Anu J

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is paradise. Beautiful views, clean rooms, and amazing meals. The family is fantastic and a lot of fun! They will take care of you and treat you like family. I dream of going back here daily! Thank you for an amazing time on Ischia!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle J
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My friend and me stayed in this beautiful hotel on the stunning island of Ischia in 2011.

The family who own the hotel are wonderful and take care of every possible need.

I had cooking lessons with the family and language lessons were also available. The restaurant is one of the best I have ever eaten in.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. One day I will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the Island and we had the most beautiful sunset every evening.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kimberley D
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I wanted to spend a nice relaxing holiday in a relaxing place.
I checked the comments hence my expectations were high, but the holiday exceeded even my more optimistic expectations.
The place has a very nice view on the sunset in Forio. While we were there, it was even possible to see Ventotene Island and Ponza.
The food was delicious: I have eaten in my countries and places and without any doubt I can say that the cooking of ‘mamma Colella’ really belongs to the top.
The friendly and helpful family was always doing their best to let us feel well and I really felt as we were part of the family.
We were 3 adults (my dad, my wife and myself) and 4 kids (11, 9,6 and 1 year).
At the end of the holiday the full family agreed to get back to Ischia exactly in the same hotel in the future.

Room Tip: We were in the 207
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarDur1972
Reviewed June 12, 2013

What a fantastic place to stay. If you're in Ischia, and need somewhere relaxing and friendly to stay you won't go wrong giving the Colella family a call! We were in Italy for a friends wedding, who had booked the entire party into the hotel and we had an exceptionally nice trip.

Fitting a large number of people into a small vehicle to be given a lift back to the hotel from the Spas was just another highlight of an unforgettable trip, although I don't recommend that if you have a fear of speed, sharp inclines, tiny spaces or are generally of a nervous temperament. (Although a testament to the owners dedication to his guests, driving us all over the island a lot of the time!)

Thank-you all very much, we wish you every success with you business, and hope that if we are ever back in Ischia, we will make another visit.

Chris & Jenny x

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view, I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheManorHouseInn
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Nothing is too much to ask at this really unique place. Run by three brothers (Bepe, Lorenzo and Amarigo), mama Tina and papa Salvatore, the thing that really makes this place is the service and the delicious food! Home made bloody orange marmalade at breakfast was the best we have ever tasted. We asked for a cookery lesson on to how make ravioli and this was no problem at all - and they were so good I am salivating as I write this. The pizzas, seafood salad, roast rabbit, artichokes, stuffed courgette flowers and tiramisu - all amazing. My husband is Italian so we know a thing or two about Italian food. The brothers shuttle you around to the beach, thermal springs or wherever you want to go.
We are a family with two boys aged 2 and 5yrs. There is a small pool and pleasant lounge area with jacuzzi. Our boys spent all day playing around here as the water in the jacuzzi was lovely and warm. Our room was cleaned every day and the views from our private terrace were fantastic. You really feel at home at this place and it is great value. We have travelled to many places all over the world and we have stayed in all sorts of places; from simple bungalows/ guesthouses on Thai beaches to the Four Seasons hotels in places such as Mauritius and Florence. This place is so charming- we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DavideandStella
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed in this lovely hotel in July 2012.

You receive a warm welcome from the Lorenzo family who do as much as they can for you (though they rush around at 100mph to try to help everyone - they really work very hard). The restaurant is at the roadside level - very pretty with plenty plants and flowers all around you - lovely enough for a romatic meal. Such such tasty food for a great price (compared to rest to rest of the island which can be quite expensive or not such good food). The hotel is behind the restaurant and up a short but steep hill to the right. Views to die for from your balcony - sunset, sea and firework viewing guaranteed.

There are some cons to the hotel, else I would have given it 5 out of 5. The cons we experienced are:

1) The nearest shop (for water, snacks etc) is like an expedition - going down hill is fine (turn left out of hotel) but carrying it up the hill takes a very long time when carrying provisions. We live in a hilly area b ack home and are used to hill walking, but in the intense Summer heat, expect it to be a very intense workout.

2) The family happily squeeze you in their van (think Sardines) to drop you to the beach or thermal park etc in the morning but you need to find your own way back. This is lovely of them. I've stayed in another hotel in the same area before and there is no offer to take you anywhere. The local bus service is fantastic for getting around the island but with regards to the location of the hoel often it doesn't turn up to get you back. You find yourself embarrased to phone the family to come and rescue you when you know they are started on preparing the evening meals. The same if you want to go out later the day, often the buses on the timetable just don't turn up. So if you are transport-less you are stuck.

Using the buses around the coastal areas of the Island is fantastic - its just getting back to the hotel that can be problematic.

3)You can walk down the hill to get into Forio - its a great but hot walk but take your camera for some lovely shots of views and architecture, but unless you are really into hill walking in the hottest part of the year, its not advisable. Lots of broken pavement to trip up on so be careful.

4) The swimming pool really is tiny. I thought the people reviewing it negatively on here must have been exagerating ("smallest pool in the world" etc) but it really is tiny - smaller than you can possibly image. I think the photo on their website makes it look bigger than it is. Its still lovely to cool off in and do a couple of strokes and we did spend some time there. Just be aware its very small in length.

But despite the above few 'cons' I'd still stay in this hotel again for the views, the hospitality from the family and the amazing food - that's how good it is! In fact it was the best holiday we ever had - so the pro's outweight the cons.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family