“The food is very good”
Review of Hotel Lord Byron

Hotel Lord Byron
Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Forio
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I have just returned from a holiday at the Lord Byron Hotel, booked through Solitaire. Having read some of the reviews prior to this holiday, I was concerned that perhaps I had made a bad choice. I need not have worried. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the food was very, very good. (Naturally, you do have to like Italian food - but isn't that the point of going to Italy?) I met some really lovely people and could not have had a better holiday.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank hilsmill

Reviewed August 9, 2008

I would agree with comments that the hotel food is not good. The hotel is ok, 3 star as advertised.

The solitair rep is non existant and forget about any supoort or help from their manchester office if you have a compliant, Solitair could not care less, once they have your money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
8  Thank gregory44
Reviewed July 26, 2008

My husband and I have recently returned from an extremely relaxing holiday at the Lord Byron Hotel. Whilst it is true that the food could be improved, it is difficult to see why this hotel has attracted such negative responses from some holidaymakers.

The hotel is small but has excellent facilities for a 3* hotel. We particularly enjoyed taking advantage of some of the spa treatments on offer. Rita, the therapist is excellent and has a very friendly personality. She is a real asset to the hotel.

The pool area is attractive with plenty of sun beds. We booked one of the superior rooms which was excellent. It offered spacious accommodation and was very clean.

The only problem with the meals, is a lack of a variety. Main courses could also be served with a greater variety of vegetables. However, in general the food was of a reasonable standard.

The main asset of this hotel is its staff and in particular the reception staff. Special mention should go to Daniela who went out of her way to make our holiday special and was willing to do everything she could to help us.

With some improvements to the menu offered for half board guests, this could be an outstanding 3* hotel. Having said that, we were more than happy with our holiday and will be returning next year. We also met several other holidaymakers who were on their second visit!.

In our opinion the hotel represents good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Francesco05
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Hotel Lord Byron has many aspects which deserve the 3* rating but there is no doubt that it is let down by the quality of the food, particularly the evening meal. However, I have noticed that this is a "feature" of many hotels in Italy, which is hard to fathom given that local restaurants manage to provide excellent food and do so very cheaply.

On the plus side, the hotel is very clean, well staffed and has excellent facilities. It is very close to the centre of Forio but well back from the road so no noise. If you ask they will even drive you to local places of interest like Mortello Gardens and Poseidon Gardens to save you getting a taxi.

The rooms are a good size with comfortable beds and plenty of storage, although the showers could be bigger.

The pool and spa areas give the feeling of being in a much higher grade of hotel and the spa treatments are well worth the experience - they leave you feeling relaxed and truly pampered.

Special mention should go to the bar staff for being attentive, friendly, fun and generous with the measures.

All in all I very much enjoyed my stay at Lord Byron but I had excellent company (another Solitair group) so I find it hard to understand the extremes of opinion it seems to generate.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank ceetee13
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I booked a one week holiday with Solitair, to Ischia. We arrived after midnight to the hotel. Tired and hungry we were offered the mornings continental breakfast cheese, stale bread and ham, and orange juice.
My bedroom was on the basement floor a few doors away from the kitchen and dining area. The air conditioning did not work , the shower tray leaked water on to the bathroom floor unable to run a full shower properly. Rooms on the same basement floor had damp and cockoaches.
Breakfast and evening meals can only be described as appalling stale bread offered at breakfast and with evening meal. Uncooked pasta main meal, uneatable, Runny veal meal with blood running through it.For dessert alternative fruit apple or orange from the breakfast basket was offered after another bad evening meal.
Italians are renowned for quality ice cream, why were we served supermarket bought small plastic tube icecream. The hotel is run by an italian family. It would seem the kitchen staff and mangement did not take any effort or enjoyment in the work that they did, and it showed.
Very disappointing and expensive holiday, as we had to eat out after not being able to eat the evening meal. I was glad I only booked a week and felt pity for my fellow campions that booked two weeks. On the plane back to the UK I ate my plane food like a women starved for a whole week.On departure Solitair rep wanted guests to fill out questionaire,and sign away complete satisfication with the hotel. I refused.
I have wrote a complaint to Solitair, and received a very patronising reply letter. Iam taking my complaint further and posted their reply onto ABTA.
I strongly do not recommend this hotel, as I would hate for others to have the same bad experience as me. How many people actually return to this hotel year after year?

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
10  Thank ischiascrap
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I had a fabulous stay at the Lord Byron Hotel in Sept '07 and booked via an agent through their website. The Island is magical and a great base to explore southern Italy. The hotel was ideally situated and charming - boutique Italian style with good facilities. The family hotel is friendly and the staff just great, on suite rooms romantic, food excellent and local culture oozing from every aspect of this small and friendly hotel.

Highly recommended! Will come back next year definately.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank sheepey
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Hi All!

Single and ready to mingle - Ischia and Lord Byron is perfect. Boutique hotel with everything I wanted. Solitair Holidays did us proud as we had a 15 strong group of amazing people. We explored Ischia and its charming Mortello gardens with concerts to charm even the most anti of classical individuals. Hotel, food and service excellent. What more could anyone wish for? Yes icing on the cake .... I met a fab guy all though Solitair Holidays and we're still together.

Hugs and kissed to all

Dena

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Bruns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forio
Hotel Terme Zi Carmela
Hotel Parco Aurora
Hotel Parco Aurora
#19 of 70 in Ischia
Hotel Le Querce Terme & Spa

Been to Hotel Lord Byron? Share your experiences!