“We loved every single minute of it!!”
Review of Hotel Carlo Magno

Hotel Carlo Magno
Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Forio
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“We loved every single minute of it!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I have visited this hotel on the 3-4 june for my birthday, booked a family room for me, my wife and my two little boys.Haveing spent my holidays as a child in this magic island, packed with so many memories and happy time, iam always make sure dureing our numerous trips in italy, to pay a visit, so my children can see where ones dad use to come in holiday...The boys love it, so my wife! I picked this hotel, strangely to many of you, after seeing all the bad reviews, the negative reccomandations from the so called "perfect holidaymakers"!!!
Iam in business myself, i know how hard and difficult is to gain and retain customers, so, i decide to give them a chance, to see myself how "bad" they were...i tell you what, you loads better going to book at the Ritz in Paris next time, probably you wont be happy even there, after all....in the trade we call you "professional moaners"!!!!
We arrived on the island by Aliscafo(idrofoil), fast and efficient, and opted for a taxi transfer to the hotel.
Carlo Magno was just what we were looking for, on elevated position overlooking the bay of S.Francesco, and just the view would have payed the rate!The hotel itself was a gem, 3 pools,1 for the boys, which they loved, 1 thermal infinity pool, and 1 indor for the more reserved customers. They had an amazeing bar pool, we had lunch there, food was lovely and not overpriceing, we opted for the mix platter with italian antipasti for 2,gourgeous, with basket of breads.The restaurant at night was a class, the Maitre Armando could not do more for us, very professional and well mannered.The staff at Carlo Magno was the best we could find in respect of courtesy, they were always prompt to any request, they have been fantastic, they made our short break unforgettable!A special mention to Carmela the beutician, she was so professional and careing when my wife decided to have a facial treatment at the in-house beauty centre,well done Carmela.Not to forget, the ever smileing Roberto, the shuttle driver, Antonio the reception manager, and offcourse to the owner Angela, it was so nice to talk to her, never intrusive and open to any suggestions.
Thank you Carlo Magno, you have made our stay so special, see you next year, that's for sure!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank cheguevara66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My husband, my son (4 year old) and I stayed there In June of 2007. We just picked the hotel because they were having a special and since it was last notice it was basically the only one available. We stayed in Ischia Porto one year which was fabulous so this following year decided to see another part of Ischia so we decided on Carlo Magno in Ischia Forio. As soon as we got off the boat a pushy taxi driver basically forced us to take his cab (forced meaning taking our luggage and hurrying off) we had no other choice but to follow. Mind you the cab driver was a pervert but that's another story. Anyhow after about 15 minute drive we arrive up a hill to this deserted place and i wondered to myself (please this can't be it) wasn't appealing from the outside then there was some construction but me being open minded i decided to wait to give judgement (the old saying don't read a book by its cover). When we went to reception the people were friendly. Our room was the best in comparison to the others. We had the hugest terrace of all the hotel. We were near the kiddy pool (just ouside my door) which was great with my 5 year old. It was a cute place and the only thing i really really loved was the pool (on the first few days only then it wasn't clean anymore and the water was cold as opposed to warm thermal waters the first few days). The hotel is situated in an AWFUL location, there was absolutely nothing surrounding it to get to town you have to take a bus with god awful hours. You weren't allowed to bring water or food from outside the hotel you were constricted to having your lunch at the hotel (which wasn't bad but awfully expensive) (no prices till checkout ) sure you could go into town to get a meal but with a picky 4 year old who didn't enjoy walking long distances who was tired all the time it was hard waiting for a bus in the heat of the summer! A bottle of water 1 litre cost us 3 euros and with the summer heat one wasn't enough for the three of us!! we stayed 5 days/ when we went to the bar and your 4 year old wants an icecream you buy it and at the end of your trip you find out that each of those packaged icecreams cost almost 5 euros (remember we stayed 5 days) they invite you to the bar beside the pool for a night of entertainment if you stayed at the tables at the bar and ordered a drink you paid for the music (again you don't know until the end of the trip when you have to pay) extra cost! we find out at the end that you can ask for a price list when you check in but its not advertised so ask!!!
we had breakfast and lunch included into our package but lunch you were on your own. We payed a good price for our package but the extras killed us! The best part of the food was the antipasto buffet otherwise their meals weren't the greatest thing fancy names for simple dishes is all. The waiters were nice to you only to get a great tip at the end. If they thought you might not be good tippers you could wait forever for service It was alright but I don't think I will ever go back. The location is not for me personally Ischia porto is more fabulous than Forio so if you want to stay someplace nice Ischia porto is a better location. But Carlo Magno never again! If you'd like to stay there bring the bank along its ridiculously overpriced! oh ya the kids pool is never cleaned there's bugs and foilage and the table we had assigned to us for dinner, the floor surrounding it was filthy with food from nights before i guess they never clean it and whatever food remains from the day before they create new dishes for the following night you don't notice this on your first night but the following nights pay attention! ischia is a big beautiful island there are plenty of great locations and hotels shop around read alot and ask many questions before you book! If you are anything but Italian they'll milk you for all you've got cause you don't speak the language (we are italians living in another country and still we got jipped!)

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank frandrs32
Hockley Essex
Reviewed September 16, 2005

The Rooms are set on various levels, like cabins, very colorful, lots of stairs , beautiful views. The service in the restaurant was sometime slow, but the food was well worth the wait, a buffet stlye for anti-pasta, 1st course soups and pasta dishes to die for, 2nd plenty of fresh fresh, meat and rabbit ischia style, excellent. The swimming pool is heated and thermal with view over the coast. Hotel bus six times a day to take to town, a bus stop outside hotel, if you need a taxi, agreed a price, no more than 8euro.
We had a wonderful week.

Stayed September 2005