WINNER WONDERLAND

Hotel Scapolatiello
London
“Dismal and disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here with a group visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum in January 2013. If I had not been with the group I would have left after the first night. Staying there was a dismal experience, although I can imagine that it is much more attractive in summer, as the hotel has a beautiful hilltop position and (I believe) attractive gardens and an outdoor pool. The hotel had an exceptional problem with its hot water supply which persisted in some rooms for most of the time we were there. I think I only had one hot shower over four days. Apart from a small seating area close to an open fire, the public rooms, corridors and the room in which I stayed were also terribly cold, especially the dining room - cold to the point of acute discomfort even for a fit active person dressed suitably for winter in Britain. I wore thermal gloves on my feet, and read a book about the Titanic to get a sense of perspective on enduring my stay at the Scapolatiello. The staff did not appear to be very concerned with these problems, or have the will or the skill to resolve them, shrugging them off with a casual 'va bene', despite the fact that this is a family-run hotel and the British travel company has been taking people there for twenty years. I hope they never do so again. Quite apart from this, I thought the food was pretty mediocre on the whole, and the fixtures and fittings, although clean, were very dated and poorly lit. I travel extensively and am astonished that this hotel has four stars. It bears no comparison to any other four star hotel I have stayed in this side of the former Iron Curtain, and was far less attractive and comfortable than many two or three star hotels in Europe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ABRLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Although it was cold outside this hotel provided a good base for our tour group. The rooms were comfortable although the tiled floors were a bit cold in January but the main rooms had warming fires. The food was generally good apart from one evening meal which was average. The staff are excellent and very helpful. The drive up the hotel is a bit bendy so we were glad our driver was doing it for the four nights we were there. The gardens and terraces looked inviting even in the winter and I imagine in the summer they are super.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a walking trip, and it was a wonderful way to start. The hotel collected us from the train station and it was about a 5-10 minute uphill drive - you wouldn't want to walk it. The taxi squeezes through a tiny street and deposits you at the door of the hotel.

Reception staff were very helpful, and our room was a mini-suite. It had the main bedroom and a small anteroom with a balcony off it with nice views over the valley. The management gave us a small bottle of prosecco and some tasty nibbles, and it was a perfect way to start our holiday, sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine.

Our holiday included the evening meal which we often don't enjoy as so often it consists of a set meal of second quality which you almost feel obliged to eat because it's included. Here, they give you the full menu and you can choose as much or as little as you want without restriction. And the food was absolutely excellent. Two of us with three courses on two nights, almost everything was perfect.

Others have mentioned the terraced gardens which are pleasant to sit in and read, and the nice pool. About the only negative was that if you wanted a drink in the garden, it was not easy to find someone to serve it to you.

All in all, this hotel is a lovely, quirky get away - not absolutely pristine but with a real feel of Italy and very nice food. If you want Four Seasons/Marriott and night life, don't go here but otherwise come here and enjoy a slower pace of what feels like typical Italy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jayellbee
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Tucked away in a steep wooded valley of the Lombardi mountains this is a favourite spot for Italian couples to celebrate their marriage. It oozes romance, has good, genuinely home cooked italian food, warm friendly staff and glorious views. THe terraces and public rooms are a delight and there is a large, elegant swimming pool, covered in winter, though not heated.

The hotel rambles around the hill side with a wide variety of rooms. Ours was comfortable but not large and the bathroom had the tiniest shower imaginable. But a balcony with a glorious view made up for the slight discomfort of soaking the bathroom every time we wanted a wash. Being out all day we did not feel strongly enough to ask for a change. Friends unhappy with the room they were allocated found the staff more than helpful in offering a variety of other rooms until they selected one more to their taste.

The food varied from good to excellent, prepared from local ingredients and local recipes. Neopolitans are famous for their ice cream but we have never had any as good as at this hotel. Walnuts, chesnuts, plums, bananas all filled with ice cream or sorbet made from the appropriate fruit,exquisite!

The hotel is a bit off the beaten track and it is probably not ideal for children. But it is a perfect location for walking holidays or for visiting Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples and even Paestum. The main local town is too far for an evening stroll and not particularly attractive. But the location and facilities of the hotel are so comfortable that we felt little desire to stir outside once we had returned from a day's site seeing. For those who like places of historic interest, just ten minutes down the road is the eleventh century monastery, a place of worship, teaching and learning from 1011 to the present day. The great abbey church and museum can be visited but hours are limited so its worth checking before you go.

Room Tip: The Abbey bells can be a bit loud in some parts of the hotel so if you are a light sleeper best to a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Felicity459
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked this hotel based on two things - price on Expedia and the fact they had a pool. We were spending 2.5 weeks in Italy and I decided one week away from the hustle and bustle was the way to go. I couldn't have been happier with our stay. An older, more local hotel (the nameplate outside the door is stamped with 1821), there's no gym, no concierge, and WiFi coverage was spotty (and, broken for a few days while we were there) but they make up for those few issues everywhere else.

Our room was spacious with a nice balcony. The bathroom needed an update, but everything worked brilliantly. There was even AC in the room, which did come in handy in the evenings.

The staff was kind, and though English wasn't spoken by everyone, they did their best to help us as much as they could. We spent many afternoons lounging at the pool, and the man in charge of the pool (Giovanni) was helpful and gracious. By the third day, he'd see me walking in and go grab me a towel and chair before I even asked. The view from the pool was incredible - green mountains and blue sky. It was bliss.

The grounds for the hotel are well maintained and peaceful...so, so peaceful. Beautiful flowers and greenery with a sprawling seating area. This, coupled with the views from the terrace, made it all was sublime.

The restaurant was nice and we had breakfast there every morning, dinner twice. This secluded part of Cava De'Tirreni isn't the most happening place on earth, but there are four restaurants within walking distance. We ate at three of the four and those we tried were affordable and tasty (and, as a bonus, wine and beer were quite inexpensive :-).

This felt like authentic Italy. Every night, people would congregate and sit on the wall, or in the local park, or in front of the hotel, chatting, having a drink, catching up, and watching children play. We felt like the only tourists for miles, and that was one of the many charms of staying here.

Final detail - the hotel is a wedding Mecca. During our stay, there were three weddings held. But, it didn't disturb us at all...the hotel is set so weddings are held below the regular area where guests are. It was fun to look down and see families feting newlyweds from the terrace.

If you're looking for something out of the ordinary while in Italy, Hotel Scapolatiello is it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. They cost a little more, but you'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OutofRange331
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I guess you can only be lucky a few times, but I was in the centre of festivities when the village where the hotel is on the square celebrated it's 800th years and 10,000 people visited and we were lucky to be guests in the honeymoon suite. On top of a hill with gorges around and churches built into the cliffs you can't get a more scenic location to lounge by the pool and eat overlooking the lombardi mountains. I felt like a 30s gentleman stopping off to write a novel on a grand European tour?
Ps I drove a Mito to manage the hills and use it as a base for Naples and Amalfi coast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have to say that this is easily the best place I have ever stayed! I first went here with a tour group as part of an archaeological trip to Pompeii and Herculaneum (2003). I would never have considered staying so remotely if not been brought here. I liked it so much that I decided to share my experience with my husband by going here for my honeymoon 7 years later (2010). He too was bowled over! The views are second to none, the staff are so friendly gene if they don't understand english very much. To be honest this was part of the charm and really it was my role to speck Italian in my view as I was the traveller after all. My pigeon italian was accepted with a smile and not made little of thankfully. The food was gorgeous and the coffee just superb. It has taken me this ling to write a review as I am now only getting to grips with trip advisor!

Room Tip: As for a junior suite. Well worth it and not so expensive.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MireilleMartin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cava De' Tirreni
Holiday Inn Salerno-Cava De' Tirreni
Holiday Inn Salerno-Cava De' Tir...
#1 of 5 in Cava De' Tirreni
Hotel Novotel Salerno Est Arechi
Relais Paradiso
Relais Paradiso
#2 of 7 in Vietri sul Mare

Been to Hotel Scapolatiello? Share your experiences!