“I guess you pay for the view”
Review of Bar Antares

Bar Antares
Ranked #9 of 24 Restaurants in Minori
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Palo Alto, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,154 helpful votes
“I guess you pay for the view”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hi,

Had lunch here in Late September after walking to Minori from Maiori and then walking all over Minori throughout the morning. This restaurant-bar combo is located in a little plaza. The plaza is right along the main Amalfi Coast highway and just across this 2 lane road is a promenade and then the beach. This puts this restaurant in a prime tourist area.

It has some indoor seating but most people who are eating choose to sit outdoors under large square umbrellas that are placed edge to edge making for a nice cool area underneath. Usually we don't choose restaurants in such "high tourist" areas but as we were quite hungry after walking from Maiori then traipsing all over Minori for the entire morning and were starting our trek back to Maiori we decided to chance it.

Well, I guess every now and again you have go against your standard approach to things and take another shot at something you've been avoiding. In this case, restaurants in prime tourist areas. In that sense, I guess it lived down to our low expectations. The service was fine up until bill paying time. It seems that only the manager (owner?) is allowed to deal with payments and he was no where to be found. Eventually a waiter went off to find the manager who came and took our credit card, only to disappear for another 5 to 10 minutes or more. Maybe he wanted his restaurant to look more popular by keeping tables filled longer.

The menu was as expected since we saw it outside before we sat down. The menu prices appeared to be only slightly inflated compared to the more off the beaten track establishments. So, we said 'what the heck' and gave it a try. As it turns out rather than inflating prices they deflated the quantities. I had some sort of grilled chicken and to be honest I have never in my life seen such a small piece of chicken. Maybe I misread the menu and it was really grilled sparrow. Well, when you factor in the portion sizes, the effective prices go from slightly higher, to significantly higher. I wanted lunch, not a snack.

The food was so so. I mean it was cooked OK and looked fine but it definitely had a "I don't give a darn" feel to it. Very plain, simple, small and bland. Maybe it's like this all the time as they know they'll get plenty of tourist business no matter what they serve and the repeat business is not expected or sought. Or, maybe as it was the last day of September and September is the end of the tourist season they'd just had enough and couldn't wait to change to their off season endeavors. Either way it was not up to par. But the view was nice and watching people come and go along the highway and through the plaza was nice to watch.

Dan

PS: If you found this information useful in your decision making process, you gleaned information you may not otherwise have discovered, or you just enjoyed reading it and appreciate the time I put into writing it, please give me a "helpful" vote. If you'd like to ask me questions about this restaurant or area contact me through danhartfordphoto.com

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Califdan69

• Korean first
Camden, Australia
“Food was great, staff excellent”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Maybe it was our choices but we loved this place. Great location in the main square, staff were excellent, very friendly. We all had main meals, our pasta with seafood was excellent, and then had desserts. The pear and ricotta tart was a highlight of these. The kids and us enjoyed it including the interaction with our waiter which was fun. Prices are good.

• Visited October 2013
Nottinghamshire
“Lovely food. Friendly staff!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Lovely restaurant with very friendly staff. The food was excellent too. We had fish and pasta, both of which were very fresh and tasty. The location is very good, on the Main Street overlooking the sea. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.

• Visited October 2013
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
“Great cocktails”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Great cocktails here, very good selection and good value. Nice place to sit outside and people watch.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Food wasn't clean or fresh”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I came away with a mild stomach upset after visiting the restaurant. The squid I had wasn't properly cleaned, it still had grits. The pizza dough was stale, it has a bit of sourness in it - the same taste in bread when the mould was about to develop. Half an hour after the meal, I had a stomach ache. I definitely wouldn't recommend this place unless you want to risk getting food-poisoned.

• Visited September 2013