“Disabled access a complete joke”
Review of Ibis Dublin

Ibis Dublin
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Clondalkin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disabled access a complete joke”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Don't even consider this hotel if you use a larger than average electric wheelchair (I have an Invacare TDX SP).

1. it won't fit into the minuscule bathroom. The toilet door is also at an 45 degree angle, making most transfers to the loo, almost impossible
2. room in the bedroom is so restricted, you either hit the bed, or desk manoeuvring around the room.
3. There's no electrical sockets on the bedside wall, whatsoever. So, charging your electric chair is a nightmare.
The corridor has double fire doors on very strong spring hinges, these are impossible to open unaided, if also steering an electric chair, with a joystick.
On the plus side, the staff and management were excellent. I had to request a room cange, because my first was next to the main door and smokers congregated outside my bedroom window., not nice at 2.30 in the morning!

Room Tip: Stay @ the Louis Fitzgerald, some 150 metres down the road from the Ibis. It's dearer, but is tr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Johnny B
IBISDUBLIN, Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
First of all thank you for letting your thoughts here. I'm so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at ibis Dublin West. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all commments very seriously. But feel free to contact me on +3531464 1480 or email me on h0595-gm@accor.com.

p/oDamien Seno
Patrick Le Hennaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Seeing that this was only a 2 star Hotel I was unsure of it. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but inside it is great. Reception was very helpful letting us checkin early. We got to our room and it was good and roomy. The room had a nice very comfortable queen size bed, a good sofa and a nice bathroom. The only issue with the hotel is you have to walk across a bridge to get to the luas. It was raining and it rains often in Ireland so you can get a bit wet. But this isnt the hotels fault. I will stay at the IBIS again.

Room Tip: If your a couple or a lone traveler get one of the superior rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBISDUBLIN, Duty Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you very much for all your positive comments regarding both the decor of the hotel, the room quality and the early check in you received. As you stated there is a bridge that connects us with the Luas tram system which links us with Dublin city, however there is also a bus stop located directly outside the hotel. I do hope you will stay with us in the future and thank you once again for your feedback.

Sharon Hoyte
Duty Manager
Midwest
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here two nights and echo what others have said: this is a very basic budget hotel so don't expect much. I am Accor Le Club Platinum and have to say this is not as nice as the Ibis hotels in mainland Europe, and is more like their Motel 6 brand in the States. We had a superior room which was pretty spacious, but had stained carpets and a shower than drained very slowly. We weren't told we needed a parking pass at check in so are lucky we weren't clamped...the next day I noticed a small sign on the check in counter which I had easily missed as a tired traveler.

Positives were free parking and it is a fairly quick walk to the Luas/tram which will get you to and from downtown Dublin. It has a restaurant which is really your only dining choice in the immediate area, which is mostly industrial. You could walk into Clondalkin or take the tram to eat as well, or many places in the area deliver via Just Eat. Check in/check out went smoothly. It was also quiet in our room/not a lot of traffic noise, etc.

All told, this is a good enough place to stay for the price if you don't mind being 20 minutes from everything...it's 20 minutes into town on the tram, 20 minutes by car to the airport, etc. There is the Dublin coach service to the airport for a fee, it appeared infrequent (about once an hour) but is better than nothing. Between that and the tram you could stay here without a car, but it's really a hotel for motorists.

Room Tip: Floor 2 is the Family Room floor...we didn't experience any children running around or being lou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBISDUBLIN, General Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive comments. A real great location to access the airport in 20 minutes (5€) 24h/24h 7/7+ 5 minutes walk to the Red Cow Luad Tram station, and 25 minutes to the Temple Bar. Action is taken regarding the carpet. We hope top see you again very soon.
Ibis Hotel dublin West
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hotel was very good, from the size of rooms to the cleanliness of the hotel as a whole. Except room smelt of smoke a little. Staff was very friendly and happy to help with anything - hairdryer didnt work so they brought a new one to my room, ordered a taxi and rang us when it came. Food was very nice and cheap - Breakfast only 9€ and can get everything from fruit to the full fried breakfast. Location of the hotel is a little out, but its opposite a tram station - 4.40€ return into centre and back or 20€ in a taxi one way. And finally when we checked out they stored our cases then let us sit in reception until it was time to fly home.

• Stayed February 2013
IBISDUBLIN, General Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay. Our location is convenient and it is easy to reach the airport with Dublin Coach or Temple Bar with the Luas.
I will pass on your comments to the team.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards.
Ibis Hotel Dublin West
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Reserved a 'superior' room (queen bed) and given a room with two doubles. Returned to desk and told there were no superior rooms available. Queried how this can be possible when our reservation was created months ago.....eventually given a superior room that had not yet been cleaned and asked to wait for it to be made ready.
Final room was fine. Carpets filthy but everything else was fine. Hotels advertises free Wifi.....you need to get a voucher code from reception, which only lasts 24 hours, so you will need a new one each day. Also, the receptionist advised that the policy was only one voucher per room....which only works once. So, only one device per room is permitted. After complaining that this was ridiculous we were given an additional voucher for our other phone...
Floor in reception area and restaurant very very sticky!
Overall good value for money, most members of staff were nice. Katy on reception was good as was the manager - Patrick. Not so much the guy on the desk in the evenings.
Disappointed about the room mix up and the ridiculous wifi rules. Also the hotel should invest in some carpet cleaning and clean the floor in reception and restaurant after breakfast!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle F
Many thanks for your comments. I am very happy to confirm that improvemnt will be done with our Wifi Provider as from Mid March/1st April 2013. This will include much more flexibility with vouchers valid for 1 to 5 days and many more...new broadband lines...
Please do feel free to get back to me on 014641480 to dicuss further.
Ibis hotel Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Was greeted very friendly which was great, the room was spacious, bit old looking thought could be more modern i think, the bed was comfy only main problem i had with the room the curtain blind would not close properly therefore it let alot of light in the morning and I found it very difficult to sleep with this problem ,

On arrival i Requested could i pay extra to check out late and I Was told it was ok not to pay and leave at 3Pm which was great i was very happy to hear this, but then i was woken at 12pm banging on the door then the house keeping came into the room saying it was past check out time , I was very angry with this unnecessary wake up call

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TomStatic
IBISDUBLIN, General Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive comments about your last stays. I am glad to receive all feeb back to help improving our quality of service. I have now spoken to the persons concerned to correct the issues you have encountered. Please be ensure this does not reflect our usual good level of service.
Ibis Hotel Dublin West
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed February 13, 2013

There was some good points about the hotel. There was free wifi, there was free parking and the receptionist we met when we checked in was friendly. The luas is also a five minute walk and will get you to the city centre in about 20 minutes. The bad points do however outweigh the good. First we were told that someone had smoked in the room we had booked so we had to be moved to a different type of room which I wasn't too happy with. It is very much a budget hotel and the rooms look as much. They are basic rooms, somewhat grotty and worn looking and there was a smell of urine in our room that we could smell whenever we entered. I know it was a budget hotel but I have paid similar prices before for much nicer rooms. On the morning we were checking out at about 10 am a member of staff knocked on our door and when we didn't respond, she opened the door and walked in. Again at 10 to twelve, which was still 10 minutes before we had to check out, another member of staff knocked on the door and when we answered she asked if we were leaving. I found this to be very annoying and as we weren't over the check out time it was unnecessary.
The area in general is fairly quite and there isn't much to do around.
Another thing I want to point out is that there was a sign in the bathroom that said for every five towels that are re-used the hotel will plant a tree. I thought this was a nice idea so we decided we would hang up our towels and re-use them yet when the room was cleaned our towels were replaced anyway. I thought this was strange.
Overall I wouldn't stay there again and I wouldn't like to recommend it although if you are on a tight budget it does the job.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle S
IBISDUBLIN, General Manager at Ibis Dublin, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Many thanks for your comments. I appreciate all feed back and I am happy you liked the convenience of the Luas Tram close to the hotel, free wifi and free carpark. I am sorry if you did not found the general standard of the room to your convinience. Regarding the re-use process of the towels, I am reviewing our staff training. The bad experience received, is not our usual good level of service.
Once again thank you for your comments.
Kind regards,
Ibis Hotel Dublin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clondalkin
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
Red Cow Moran's Hotel
#4 of 7 in Clondalkin
KingsWood Hotel Citywest
#1 of 1 in Kingswood

Been to Ibis Dublin? Share your experiences!