“Home away Home!”

Ranked #11 of 57 Naxos Town B&B and Inns
Seoul, South Korea
“Home away Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

It was a lovely family run pension, Mrs Koulas was very kind to pick me up from Saint George beach instead of the port so I could save some time to go back to the port and back to Koulas. I was a bit tired from my trip in Athens, Santorini and saint george beach with two little kids, I could really relax here feeling the warmth of the MOST KIND family in Greece. It is not just something they had done for us, but you can just feel the warmth and outstanding hospitality.

I loved my first room on the 3rd floor studio with kitchen, it was a spacious room with everything I needed to cook my kids meal, with two balconies one overlooking the distant beach. The double room on 1st floor which I stayed for 2nd and 3rd night was a bit smaller, without kitchen but with a small hot plate and pot to boil some water and it didn't really had nice air flow, the first night I stayed in the 1st floor room, I found out the air-conditioning was not working but it was very late at night, I didn't wanted to wake them up so I slept with the windows open which didn't really helped a lot, there were some mosquitos but they were not so strong, they should bite you but the next morning it is like nothing happened. The next day I told them there's something wrong with the air-con, they called the technician right away and it was fixed by 2pm.

The swimming pool was just perfect for my little ones, each aged 4 and 2. It was only 70 cms deep in the kids area and still have enough room for the grown ups to cool down. My kids played in the swimming pool most of the time, the hammoks under the tree was also great for them to play.The free wi-fi was fast enough for me to upload some pictures, the beach was about 10 minutes away on foot, but it had some shade with trees along the road and there were some goats, lambs, turkey chicken and cow to entertain my little kids. Try feeding them with some leaves from the tree around.

I didn't have a car and it was a bit of a walk (about 15 minutes) to the nearest store, but I could buy some eggs and other necessaries from the snack bar they operate and they are serving some snacks and drinks there as well with very reasonable price.

When I went to the beach I ran into Mrs. Koulas and she offered me to take an umbrella from the pension saying they have lots of them. (FYI, It was 6 euros for 1 umbrella n 2 sunbeds at the beach and you don't really need a sunbed the sand isn't really sticky.) They even let me keep the umbrella until I check out.

Every little thing was really taken good care of, I really felt like home. My kids fell in love with Mrs. and Mr. Koulas. It is really kids friendly and warm home away home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S0raYang

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
coop16
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights this July. The staff are so friendly, helpful, and welcoming, they really made us feel comfortable after having a bad experience at our hotel in santorini.

The rooms and bathrooms are good sized for greek standards in this price range, the pool area if beautiful, the views great, and rooms are equipped with mini kitchenettes and patios with a table, which makes is great for preparing breakfast, etc. they also have a fully stocked bar and snack selection for small meals, which is handy if you don't want to walk into the town area off Ag Prokopios. We had cake and a bottle of wine as welcome gifts. Wireless was available in the rooms, not just public areas which is rare for these type of accommodations. Lots of free onsite parking. The hotel is located on a rural piece of land on the edge of Agios Prokopios, so it is quiet and relaxing, and you have the pleasure of having the farm animals surrounding the property (the goats love to be fed, good way to dispose of your dinner bread!)

The beach road that runs in front of the property goes for miles down the island; it is only paved for about a mile, and turns into dirt road. This was excellent for running in the mornings as it was almost void of traffic, had beautiful views along the water, and felt like I was on trails instead of actually being on a road.

We had to move rooms after 2 nights as we booked last minute and the twin room was only available 2 nights; they brought in a full sized single bed to the double room we moved to so we could still have the 2 beds, and moved all of our luggage and fridge items for us, so that was greatly appreciated.

We also had free port pick up and drop off, which is great as they are located about 4km from the main city. The restaurants and grocery stores of Agios Prokopios are about a 10 minute walk, either on a sandy road past a rather smelly "lake" towards the beach, or up a hill and onto a busy main road with no sidewalk. If you cannot walk far, or have mobility/health issues, this may not be ideal for you; I recommend renting a car if staying here, as it allows you to explore the island. Overall, highly recommended and would stay again!

Room Tip: We had to move rooms after 2 nights as we booked last minute and the twin room was only available 2...
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently spent 7 night at Koulas in 2 separate rooms. Koulas and her daughter kindly waited late into the night to pick us up from the port due the late running of our Seacat transfer from Mykonos. She showed us to our two rooms a double and triple and gave us lots of tips of where to eat etc despite our arriving much later than planned.
The accomodation is basic Greek rooms with AC, Wifi, fridge and hot plate to boil water etc. Our room was a squeeze for 3 of us but it was kept immaculately clean with clean linen and towels daily, with plenty of hot water. My son was particualy pleased that the Wifi didn't drop out once!
The pension's communal areas are beautiful with outstanding view of Agios Prokopios Bay. The pool was delightful and the pool bar and meals reasonable, plentiful and comparable with any of the Tavernas in Ag. Prop.
What makes this property stand out is the family itself who are fantastic, full of local knowledge, always willing to help and Koulas herself was always dropping off gifts from home grown produce to her delicious home baked cakes yummy!
We were sad to leave Naxos and move on to Mykonos but vowed to return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Although we did not have one, I imagine the upper rooms had an even more fantastic view than our ter...
Darmstadt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The perfect place to relax and chill out. Very nice pool with sea view. Pool-bar offering drinks, cocktails snacks and Greek meals.
The rooms are basic but good. And the sea view from the balcony was great. Quiet area.
You don't need a car. Beach (one of the nicest on Naxos) and tavernas (we recommend Perama and Sunset) in walking distance. Taxi to Naxos town only 8 Euro (there's also a bus). Koula's transfer from and to the port worked perfectly.
It's family owned and operated and they are all so friendly and warm-hearted! It was the best place during our island hopping tour. Luckily we stayed a full week there.

Duisburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were now four times in Koulas board. The owners are very nice people. The guesthouse is very well maintained and sauber.Wir were always very satisfied We will certainly be back next year guests from Koula .. We look forward to next summer. We can Koulas board with a clear conscience recommend ...

Bettina and Ismail from Duisburg Germany

Room Tip: All Rooms!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isi1973
preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed hear on recommendation from another traveller and from the moment we were picked up felt part of the family. The room pool and grounds were spotless and as we were scheduled to leave during a general strike, Anna who spoke perfect english spent a long time on her computer organizing travel arrangements for my return to Athens and even booked my hotel for the last night in the centre of Athens. After seeing over 30 greek islands I would rate the nearby beach (mostly nudist) as the best I have seen in Greece. Half hourly bus to Naxos town.
Would certainly return even though I have a house on Samos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Extremely good family run hotel overlooking the bay of Agios Prokopios, one of the best in Greece.We booked two rooms at great rate.One of them had a big balcoly overlooking the swimming pool and the sea.
Clean, small but convenient rooms. What makes a great difference is the hospitality of the family. Great old traditional Greek hospitality.
before leaving they also offered us local gifts!
Highly recommended!
I think I will go there again.

Room Tip: Pick the ones overlooking the pool and the bay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 57 in Naxos Town
Margo Studios
Margo Studios
#3 of 57 in Naxos Town

Been to Koulas Pension Red Lake? Share your experiences!