“A good place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bacharach
Brisbane, Australia
“A good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights based on a Rick Steve's recommendation. The hotel is very close to the train tracks, with some stairs to negotiate. Fatima was a very engaging host and went out of her way to help with any queries, she also puts on a very good breakfast.

Clean and convenient, we would definitely stay again if in Bacharach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful 3 night stay at the Hotel Kranenturm. We just completed a two week trip through Germany, and Bacharach (including staying at this hotel) was our favorite part of the trip. The hotel is full of charm/ character and provided us with such a unique and memorable experience of Bacharach. When we arrived Fatima welcomed us warmly and made us feel right at home. We enjoyed chatting with her throughout our stay. The food at breakfast and dinner was always freshly made and great (we are vegetarians, and she made delicious omelets for us). The wine and beer were also great. The hotel has a bed and breakfast feel to it. We stayed in room 16 (top of the tower). It is several flights of stairs up, but that was part of the charm. The room provided great views of the Rhine, and the town of Bacharach. The windows have very thick glass, which helps deaden the sound of the trains. We slept fine each night at the hotel. Ear plugs (which they provide) could provide a little extra sound buffer if you are very light sleeper.

When we got home I saw that the last several reviews were rather negative so I felt compelled to write this. This hotel is not a sterile "holiday inn." It is a bed and breakfast type of setting, in a medieval crane tower building on a river. It is not a place for those who like modern, regular hotel type places. If you are looking for a memorable, unique, charming and different spot with medieval charm and a bed and breakfast feel then this is your spot.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have always found Trip Advisor to a very useful tool in helping me make a decision as to where to stay, eat etc. So as a dedicated reviewer I feel I am always obliged to give as an accurate description of Hotel, Restaurant etc as possible so that other members are able to make assessments which will help them in their choices.
It is in this light, that I find it very difficult to write this review on the Hotel Kranenturm. I do not have a problem with Fatima. She is a very warm, passionate host who welcomes you with drinks & nibbles. Although she does constantly "talk up" her establishment to the point that you feel she is attempting to brainwash you.
What I do have a problem with is the many, many previous unrealistic reviews that have stated that this is a wonderful hotel & restaurant which deserves 5 ticks & has put it into Number 1 Hotel in Bacharach. It was from these reviews that we booked a room there for 2 nights.
The facts are:
Price - it is cheap at under 70 Euro a night including breakfast
Trains - the tracks are just 15 feet away from your bed. The line is extremely busy with Intrastate High Speed, local suburban electric and huge freight trains hurtling past at a rate of at least every 10 mins 24/7. Not only noisy, but also dangerous! So clearly LOCATION & SLEEP QUALITY do not deserve 5 ticks.
Rooms - small, hotch-potch furnishings, tacky decor, incredibly small bathroom with unusual frilly floral covers on just about everything. Just too much going on in one small area. Linen is crisp white & bed comfort was satisfactory. No aircon. Triple glazed windows to keep out some noise but you can still hear the trains & feel the vibrations. The hotel is spotlessly clean.
Breakfast - adequate, but does not deserve the accolades that previous reviewers have given it. No "world's best scrambled eggs" or "little slices of heaven in warm homemade bread".
Restaurant - again, the food here does not deserve the praise given in previous reviews. We ate here on the first night and the dishes served were not great. Service was good. The trains constantly whizzed passed. Next night we chose to eat at another restaurant in town and had a truly amazing meal, however Fatima did comment next morning that we did not eat at her hotel.
Parking - public parking at 3 Euro a day provided you are able to obtain a spot. Free parking opposite a church 200 metres away.
No lifts - you have to be fit enough to be able to carry your bags up very steep narrow staircases.

2 Thank Middydee
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Most places in area seems quite old and tired and this spot most certainly is exactly that. We had a bit of a bad start as we arrived 30 min later than we said we would (due to flight delay) and Fatima had already gone to sleep so she was not very pleased with us. She definitely tried to make up for it in the morning with a lot of chatter - she really seems to try hard which is nice. Lots of stairs to negotiate so not suitable for elderly / infirm. Advised to not open any windows to avoid noise pollution from train and rather turn on "air box" - a very ineffective contraption. Shower pressure not good. Linen on bed not 100% cotton. Room gets light very early as no blinds / curtains over windows. Every surface seems to be covered in fabric and fluff and does not please the modern eye. Situated well (except for noise from train) and town very picturesque.

Room Tip: the rooms in the tower seem to be a nice size with lots of windows
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband, our 2 adult children and I traveled to Germany this past month, and our first stop was Bacharach. It was a perfect place for us to stay! We had reservations for 2 rooms, and we were able to stay on the same floor. Fatima was incredibly nice and helpful, and she even gave us a slightly larger room for one of the two we reserved since it wasn't being used. Both rooms were very pretty and quite comfortable for all of us. One was on the side by the railroad tracks, and the other faced the side street. We knew the trains could get noisy, so we just shut the windows at night and used the fans that Fatima provided with the rooms. Most places in Europe don't provide fans, so this was wonderful! Fatima was also quite helpful with our sight seeing plans, too. The city is small anyway, but the hotel was easily within comfortable walking distance for us of the train station, restaurants and the river boat cruise. We would definitely stay here again if we come back to Bacharach in our future travels!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor. The location was great for internet service and didn't have too...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am trying very hard to think of something good to say about this hotel other than it had a good but delayed breakfast after a very noisy night sleep...and we were on the quiet street side of the hotel. First the reservation communications and no refund policy should be an indication of why you should not want to stay at this hotel. The parking situation is not any better in that you use the public parking lot along the highway after like 5:00 PM to like 9:00 AM without a parking ticket...but have fun trying to find a parking space that is even close to the hotel until after dark. Next on arrival you have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs to the lobby and everyone was busy so Fatima keep yelling for us to take our luggage back down to the luggage room and walk around town until she had the opportunity to give us our room key...so we choose a very long wait for our room key instead. Next we carried our luggage up a one person three flight spiral suitcase...which made my grandmother Victorian staircase look like a superhighway...to our 1970s decorated room with a small window that opened for a perfect view of the sky...no joke that does not even begin to describe the room. Later we walked all around the town walls with is actually very enjoyable just in time to try to find any restaurant still open before dark...when the river boats stop sailing at night the entire town closes and goes home for the evening which is why most guests eat at the hotel. After walking the entire town on the main street back and forth...and only being passed by two cars...we finally found a restaurant with a German woman that was married to an American...which we had the best dinner while in Germany...also with German food culture completely explained to us including the strange desire to eat white asparagus. However, when we returned to hotel Fatima confronted us as to where we ate dinner as if we where her children and informed us again that we should have eaten dinner at the hotel like all of the other guests. After a very unrestful night sleep we where the first to breakfast...skipped the shower and I won’t describe the shower but I will tell you that my wife will never miss a shower but decided to make an exception at this hotel...and also it is difficult to describe the freight train noise but my best description is it sounded louder than a M60 tank passing within several feet at full speed and woke me every time...something about being in an old stone building amplified the sound in an undescribable manner. However when we arrived at breakfast there was no hot food and then Fatima told us to put our luggage in the car and the hot food would be done by the time we returned...but since we were not sleeping anyways we had already loaded the car and walked around town over an hour before breakfast started so we already had another long wait for breakfast. However, to help pass the time Fatima started talking and directing us to cancel our travel plans and stay at this hotel for the rest of our vacation...and if I was not so hungry I would have told her what I thought about her hotel and left without breakfast. Although I was talking to my wife about our day’s travel plans and reviewing maps...Fatima keep talking to us in an endless monologue for almost a half hour...basically saying Fatima likes to talk endlessly is like saying the Atlantic Ocean has a lot of water to drink...and for me the talking was unwelcome and intrusive. After breakfast we had another long wait to pay our hotel bill which I thought I paid the night before but instead Fatima decided not to pay our bill without telling us because she thought that we would stay for dinner and want put it on our bill...so I had to leave the lobby and wait sitting on the front steps because it was our 25th wedding anniversary and I had had enough of this hotel and would never stay there again. In summary, I wish I had left this hotel when we first arrived at the lobby even though I would have lost my full deposit...and the only reason I can think of staying at this hotel is because "Rick Slept Here"...but I still question when was the last time if ever that Rick slept at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kurt5280
OSOYOOS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

What an absolute delight!!!! This hotel is a wonder - located in the crane tower of the old city wall, a terrace overlooking the park & the Rhine river; a menu that is a treat to enjoy, a spacious & comfortable room that stayed cool even in the midst of a heat wave (mid-30's) without a fan (the Baron room). Others have noted the train tracks 5 m from the terrace wall - there aren't as many trains at night and there is a trade-off of having a river view room and the trains or a city side room and barely hearing the trains, but then, it is an incredible experience to be sitting on the terrace and having your first train fly by - European trains are all electric so it's only rail noise that you here. Fatima & Kurt are most gracious hosts ready to respond to any requests. The wait staff are most professional for their young age. We appreciated the quality of their English skills. In a heart-beat, we would be happy to spend more time at Kranenturm. Dee 'n' Steve, Osoyoos, British Columbia

Room Tip: lower floor rooms stay cooler, very little train noise on the city side
1 Thank D-S H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bacharach
Hotel Restaurant Altkolnischer Hof
Hotel zur Post
#4 of 9 in Bacharach
Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg
Landhotel-Gasthaus Bluchertal

Been to Hotel Kranenturm? Share your experiences!