“LOVE THE HAMBURGERS BEST IN TOWN”
Review of Monty's Restaurant

Monty's Restaurant
Ranked #150 of 461 Restaurants in Newport News
Reviewed October 29, 2013

been going there for years, love the food and love the old look. I go twice a week to eat, love there hamburgers and hamburger steak.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I took two of my grandchildren for a quick supper. One ordered chicken fingers that came out so hard I was afraid for her to eat them. !Another one ordered a cheeseburger plate. Burger was not awful but not good either. His fries were half done. I got the fried trout. One side of the fish was soggy. The other side was hard. It had no taste. Like eating cardboard. Two of us got the macoroni and cheeee. I sent mine back when she brought it to the table. Needless to say, I didn't eat mine. I paid $24 for food I couldn't even eat. That will be my last time!
If you see it on the road and think you might stop, DON'T!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been here before... a couple of years ago and had a milkshake and it was okay. Nothing special. Nothing that you couldn't get at a Cook Out.

Yesterday, Sunday, August 11, 2013... we had the food. My boyfriend is from Newport News. His uncle LIVES in Newport News. Evidently you should order ice cream. The waitress had an attitude. Maybe it was because there were actual people coming in and she had to stop texting on her phone? Not sure. There was only one other person in there when we came in. One table had not even been cleaned off.

The place isn't even a dive. I realize that it has history, but there is nothing good about paying for food that is for the most part, out of a container or the freezer.

Uncle and boyfriend ordered the "chuckwagon"... oh my God. It was a frozen, breaded patty of some sort of meat. It did not look like beef. We later found this "chuckwagon" patty at a Piggly Wiggly grocery store... literally called.. CHUCKWAGON. Ugh. I had what I thought would be different and interesting. Bulgogi. It is a Korean dish that is marinated beef.. TYPICALLY served with lettuce and tomato as a sandwich and sometimes in a lettuce bowl. I could get anything but that...... unless I made it into a sandwich. I figured it would be offered with lettuce and tomato if you ordered a PLATE. So I had fries and CANNED UNSEASONED string beans with ... BULGOGI. I mean.. really?

How hard is it to make real food? We didn't have to wait very long for the food being it was already basically made. And it was not placed in front of us... it was pretty much thrown at us. And the only person that she refilled their drink was my boyfriend. His Uncle and I could have thirsted to death for all she cared.

Could I ever recommend this place to anyone? NO. My boyfriend's Uncle, who is 60+, used to go to this place when he was young. (Per him, this is not the original place Monty's has always been).

I am sure before cell phones and young ones thinking texting was more important than customer service and before we had freezers and we had to cook everything fresh that this place was great.

Please don't go here for a meal. If you feel nostalgic... just get a cone of ice cream or something... but for God's sake... if you have tastes buds of any kind... don't go here.

Sorry. Just my opinion.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Don't be fooled, this is a dive! If you're not in for an adventure, don't go. Booths are falling apart, etc.

That said, my Mom and I have been coming here since I was a little kid. Good food (typical diner food), meals for under $5, I LOVE it! Ice cream cones piled high.

If you're local, give it a try.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good and cheap . Just had a great omlet we both enjoyed . and it was very cheap and very frendly staff