“May be the best ribs in town”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 542 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American, Bar, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed December 1, 2015

When we go to a Cheddar's, regardless of where, I almost always order ribs. They do an incredible job. Last night, the ribs I had in Newport News were the best of the best. Falling off the bone good! Very tasty. I got the rib-shrimp combo ($15.00), the latter grilled. Got a side of corn-off-the-cob, and steamed broccoli. Asked Ashton, our superb waitress, for extra butter for both sides. She brought a small bowl of melted butter. So it was good for the grilled shrimp, too. The lady listens! I love her! HaHa! The 4 decent sized shrimp were placed on a small bowl of rice. I am not fond of rice but decided to have a fork of it. Turns out that the rice was almost swimming in a brownish liquor that was both sweet and slightly spicy ... and really good. The broccoli could have been cooked perhaps a touch more, but was still good.

The wine queen ordered a 12 oz ribeye, baked potato and one other side. Asked for the steak to be cooked between med rare to med. It came back med well. I will hesitate to guess who screwed that one up. But I suggest that when ordering that way, put the med. rare - last, not first as I think last is what one hears. Nonetheless, the steak tasted very good and the queen let it go at that. Her sides were very good also.

When I want ribs again, we'll head over there ... again. Hope Ashton is our waitress again!

Date of visit: November 2015

Reviewed November 16, 2015

Great service, some one always around if you need anything at all. Great food. Would go back and would recommend to go back. Salads was great and so was the steak.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed November 12, 2015 via mobile

Each time I come to patrick henry mall I saw Cheddar ' s with a parking lot full of cars; so we thought the food must be very good, it wasn't. Our server Payton was very good but the food was not at all. Both the barbecue entrées we order were cold.we told Payton about and he immediately apologize and told us they will remake our entrées. Once our food came it was hot but they tasted horrible. Perhaps it was an off day for the cooks because the food was horrible. We certainly won't be going back.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed November 11, 2015

My husband and I love to go to Cheddars on Sunday after church. Everything on the menu is great. We really love the fried chicken strips. The salads are always fresh and colorful and they have the best onion rings around.
The wait staff is courteous and very helpful. The are great with large parties an make everyone feel good about being there.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed October 20, 2015 via mobile

I enjoy having lunch at cheddars with my daughters have a great selection fast service conveniently located next to the mall. If the weathers warm you can choose to sit outside!

Date of visit: August 2015