“Great food, could work on service”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 502 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American, Bar, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been to this Cheddar's about 5 times within the past 6 years. I love Cheddar's and have never received a bad dish. Huge chicken tenders,tender ribs, broccoli cheese casserole, New Orleans Pasta,Texas Sweet Tea, Maui Margarita & those hot buttery croissants are ALL delicious. I decided to review because this was my 1st semi-bad experience. Last night while visiting with family from out of town, our party of 6 was seated in about 15 minutes which was expected. Our drink orders were taken, while we waited for food another waiter spilled cocktail sauce around the walkway behind us. He whisked away without seeing where all he made his mess, instead of notifying us her never acknowledged that it got all over the back of my aunt and other guests jackets. Instead a lady at another table had to tell us my aunts coat had cocktail sauce splattered all over it. The situation could have been handled better. I noticed a lot of very young men working last nite; maybe more thorough training would have prevented this careless occurrence. Our food finally came after a few items missing and being wrong, we finally got our food which was good. The manager "attempted" to compensate by offering dry cleaning which was not useful to us being from out of town. After somewhat tedious conversation he finally paid for my aunts meal which was appropriate and should have never been up for discussion. I still love Cheddar's and accidents happen but that situation could have been handled a lot better and was shameful to have experienced considering we we're attempting to show guests a nice evening with good food. Cheddar's has always been great food and atmosphere but try to consider your customers better.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The food here was delicious. Parking lot was full at 5:30 on a Wednesday. We waited a short time for a table. Our waitress was very good, and like I said the food was great. The only problems was the bathroom. It was gross. the stall walls are stainless steel and were covered in hand prints as if the walls hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time and the floors had toilet paper and brown paper bags on the floor. One sink was out of order and appears to have been for a while as the sign in the sink was water stained like its been sitting in that sink for a while.

I will eat here again as the food was really good, I just hope they clean that bathroom up.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch on way to va beach. Was quick and good food. Less than 30 for three lunches with a nice tip. Wish all places had quality and prices me this.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great value for the offerings. My husband has been able to order a different entree every time we patronize this restaurant and has been very satisfied. Because I am allergic to pepper, there is not much I can order. The honey ribs was the best I've ever eaten, but they no longer offer them - only smoked ribs. The onion rings are both of our favorite appetizer. There are always long lines to get in, but the wait is definitely worth it!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were looking for a local casual lunch cafe and discovered Cheddar's...nice environment, homemade food, fast service and reasonable prices....what's not to love. Their soups are tasty and served hot, salads come with freshly baked croissant with honey butter and the coffee was tasty and plentiful. Our entire family enjoyed our lunch and commented on the overall value and energy of Cheddar's...worth a visit.